"Friday is the day"...iPhone OS 2.1...tomorrow!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Crunch, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Crunch macrumors 6502a

Crunch

...is what an Apple rep just told me when I called Apple support, when I asked him about it.

I fail to get excited anymore, as the previous two updates to the original 2.0 were pretty worthless. :(

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It's also what Steve told us on Tuesday. You seem excited, though.

3. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

ya, in all honesty.....don't expect 2.1 to bring much to the table either....just more PR fluff.

4. vrflyer macrumors 6502

vrflyer

.... and a quick glance on these forums would of yielded you with the same results instead of making a 12th thread about it.

People must no longer read in this day and age.

/sigh

5. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Isn't that what Steve Jobs said?

*sigh* indeed…
    :eek:

6. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

It's hard to get too excited for an update that is probably going to be nothing more that bug fixes for the most part.

I really think that if push notification or copy/paste or any other new features were coming, Steve would have showed demoes and 'bragged' a bit about the cool new features that were coming. I know that tuesday was an Ipod event, but I still believe that he would have mentioned it.

7. mrwizardno2 macrumors 6502a

mrwizardno2

I plan on avoiding it for the first week and seeing how people react to it on the forums.

Better to let the early adopters find the bugs than to be plagued with them myself. ;)

8. BaldyUK macrumors regular

Just a thought....

What are the chances of they very basic features such as copy & paste, MMS etc being introduced with very little fanfare? Maybe old Stevie boy doesn't want the whole world knowing that the 'amazing' iPhone lacks some very basic stuff by announcing them as if they wer brand new and never seen before on any phone.

Sure it's already public knowledge but I can understand him not wanting to shout about it.

9. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

I keep reading "Significantly better battery life"

I seriously would like to know how an OS update is going to accomplish that.

My guess is, it goes from being pathetic to slightly less pathetic, if that.

And I too am kind of bummed that there are no new features.

But then again, it isn't shocking at all.

I mean, if they release all these new features now, how are they going to have an iPhone 3.0 next July? ;)

10. fastbite macrumors 6502a

fastbite

I hope is not just "PR fluff". I hope I can finally truly enjoy the iPhone.

11. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

Well I thik that you are definitely going to be able to enjoy the phone, but just without any new features.

12. galenmd macrumors regular

My guess is they found a memory leak somewhere. Let's hope that we really do see an improvement.

13. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Copy and paste would have been included with the iPod touch software and as far as I can tell it wasn't.

14. mrwizardno2 macrumors 6502a

mrwizardno2

I'd imagine the software controls how often the phone polls the towers, how the phone controls the processor performance, memory usage, etc. That would easily affect battery life.

My HTC xv6700, when I hacked it to poll the towers more often, used considerably more power.

15. sibruk macrumors 6502a

New baseband firmware could optimise radio performance. New software could optimise power management in general. It's more than possible.

16. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Personally I couldn't care less about cut 'n paste and the rest.

Just give me some much needed stability and a Safari that doesn't crash every few minutes!

:p

17. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

i think the whole battery life thing is nothing more than adjusting the indicator, as people have reported their phones going for hours when it said 20% or even 10%. One report i read the individual said he watched a whole movie after getting the 20 or 10% warning, i forget which, so perhaps the indicator was bugged.

I guess its better to have a phone that works smoothly before you can add more stuff, they must have pulled push after they realized how many bugs there really were, i would call that responsibility, however everything they are fixing really shouldnt have been broken to begin with

18. manhattanboy macrumors 6502a

manhattanboy

Well AT&T is pretty worthless as well.
    Sheesh, I am still have calls "fail" worse than an obese genetically mutated kid who ate a bunch of paint chips taking an advanced placement exam.
    When are they going to fix the d*mn issue??

19. manhattanboy macrumors 6502a

manhattanboy

Amen to that!

20. bushido Suspended

bushido

does it depend on the timezone or do they usually release the software updates at the same time world wide?

cuz i live in the GMT+2 timezone and it would be cool if i could get it right after midnight but i highly doubt it

21. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

Spoken as someone who doesn't own one. After all the issues, fixing it is almost as exciting as getting it.

22. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I've been using 2.1 since last night and it's INCREDIBLE! It's super fast and rock solid so far. I can't believe how I got used to the slowness/bugginess of 2.0.

You'll see... 2.1 will knock your freakin' socks off!

23. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

In other news, the iPhone 3G is coming 7/11/08!

24. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Thanks for tempting us.

25. Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

I don't mean to get you anymore excited then you already are but I called my local Wal-Mart and they told me that firmware 2.1 is coming tomorrow also!
    Thus, confirming what Steve Jobs mentioned on Tuesday.

Yahahaaahaha!!!!!!

For a mintue, I thought what he said on Tuesday is all baloney but I am glad it wasn't.

I'm off to create another post about it.

See ya.