Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aluren

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
wouldn't push hog more power? it's probably something that apple would not put in 2.1 because then once people have push, they'll bitch about the battery life again...

no-engine

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2008
New Hampshire
No, I have an iPod touch and an iPhone. I am running 2.0.2 on my iPhone and 2.1 on my iPod touch. I kind of enjoy testing stuff on my iPod touch before trying it on my iPhone... I did the same thing with the jailbreak.

TheSpaz,

I am also in NH; north of Concord by about 30 miles. Can you tell me about AT&T signal strength issues? I am about to purchase the latest iPhone. Since I need to take my MBP to Rockingham tomorrow, should I buy or postpone? I am concerned about signal strength. Any comment appreciated. THANKS

Crunch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
Crazy L.A.
Well, I don't care about more features, I just want the damn thing to work. And although it may for some, it really doesn't for me.

And it ain't AT&T, folks. I have other phones. Both 3G, and non-3G. Treo 750, Blackberry Curve don't give me any problems. So by process of elimination...

I, too, will have to wait until a version of Winpwn is out for 2.1. I at least want to enjoy the apps on Installer and Cydia.

Hah, I would have already sold this POS if it weren't for jailbreak. That says something about much I value this thing.

2.1. <--- I got a lot riding on you. Don't disa-#$%^&*-point me, bi#$.

dieburnbot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
CA
I plan on avoiding it for the first week and seeing how people react to it on the forums.

Better to let the early adopters find the bugs than to be plagued with them myself. ;)

You have a lot of patience hehe. I've been waiting for this firmware update so I don't think I can wait that long. I don't think there is anyway this could possibly be worse than 2.0.2, or at least I'm hoping.

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
I'm going to upgrade as soon as I can. 3G connectivity here is fine, but things like typing lag, application crashes, battery life, and backup time need to be fixed.

Crunch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
Crazy L.A.
I'm going to upgrade as soon as I can. 3G connectivity here is fine, but things like typing lag, application crashes, battery life, and backup time need to be fixed.

I have all of the issues you mentioned, and then some. So 2.1 is supposed to clear all of that up? That'd be awesome. I want to wait, so I can use Installer and Cydia. The only reason that I still have the iPhone 3G.

I did tests like using my Treo 750, and got 2 bars in a specific place, and then swapped the SIM out to see how different the reception would be on the iPhone. It was searching and searching and searching for a 3G signal, and eventually it "settled" for 2G. I made a call, and only 2 minutes into the call, the call dropped, as any 3G phone obviously looks for a 3G signal whenever it is not on one. The call dropped, and it was again, searching and searching and searching, and actually found one. 1 bar. 3G. Wow. NOT! I made the call to the same person, and this time it took only 45 seconds before it dropped again. I disabled 3G in Settings to force it on 2G, made the call to the same person, and it didn't drop again.

I can't work like this. So I'll use the SAME spot, and do the experiment over to see if there is any difference when I load 2.1 on it. There had better be one. Otherwise some poor soul will be the new owner of my iPhone 3G. 3G... lol...I call mine "iPhone 3G, sometimes". And 2.0.x has been beta software, at best.

WiFi isn't any better. I can never have multiple simultaneous software downloads. I can set my watch to it crashing if I don't do them one, MAX two at a time. Then, although I have a lightning fast 802.11n network, which works as a G network, too, of course, and a FULL bars, just drops the connection out of nowhere for apparently no reason. The iPhone 3G, sometimes, is not good at WiFi, even at FULL bars.

I really want to keep my iPhone 3G, sometimes. It's such a pretty device. And I have a lot of bases for comparison. My Blackberry, and Treo, being the main two devices, besides my iPhone 3G, sometimes. And they will both see an upgrade this month. Blackberry Bold, and Treo Pro.

2.1, you're my last hope. If I want a device that looks as pretty as the iPhone 3G, somtimes, I'll get the iPod, the one with WiFi, so I can do what I do with my iPhone now, which isn't much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.