Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

renewed

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2009
Bemalte Blumen duften nicht.
You could save up for a few years or you could put it on monthly payments.

$90,000 with a $5,000 down payment, 4% interest (this guy has perfect credit let's say) and 60 months is ~$1600 a month payment.

That's insane.

Someone who makes $110,000 a year will take home about $6,000 a month or so after taxes depending on the state. So he actually makes about $72,000 a year and has a $90,000 car.

CrAzY if true. :eek:

fr4c

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2007
Hamster wheel
$90,000 with a $5,000 down payment, 4% interest (this guy has perfect credit let's say) and 60 months is ~$1600 a month payment.

That's insane.

Someone who makes $110,000 a year will take home about $6,000 a month or so after taxes depending on the state. So he actually makes about $72,000 a year and has a $90,000 car.

Yeah that is indeed crazy, but then again I know a lot of friends who loves cars and would bend over backwards to satisfy their need for speed. And lets not forget about insurance too, as the GTR has I think one of the highest rates amongst sports cars. I would love to own a GTR, and it has been my dream car as long as I car remember, so kudos to the OP's friend who has the opportunity to own such an amazing piece of machinery especially at such a young age. Just be careful though, because even in stock form the car can get you into a lot of trouble.

Perhaps I'll pick up a used one once the 2012 refresh comes out, but I'll have to convince the misses.

Salacion

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
Pfft, big deal. My car totally shreds yours to pieces.

vin2355.jpg

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan

That's insane.

Actually the payment would be around $1500 a month. It's still a lot, but for a lot of people that's reasonable. Some people just have a passion for cars, and would rather have a nice car than a nice house. Personally, I see no problem with a $1500 a month car payment. People are just shocked when they hear it, because they're used to paying $350 a month for their underpowered and boring Honda Accord. To be honest, I find that women are normally the ones who take issue with a large car payment; for example, my Mom drives a fully loaded Prius with a ~$550 car payment. My dad drives a BMW M6 with a an $1800 car payment. My Mom thinks it's stupid, but she's the kind of person who just uses a car to get from point A to B, my Dad and I enjoy having fun while driving. And going upwards of 150 mph on the highway is a lot of fun; I think it's worth $1800 a month.

FYI, my parents both gross over $200,00 a year. So spending over $2,000 a month on cars isn't a massive blow.

-Don

Sankersizzle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2010
Canadadada
Actually the payment would be around $1500 a month. It's still a lot, but for a lot of people that's reasonable. Some people just have a passion for cars, and would rather have a nice car than a nice house. Personally, I see no problem with a $1500 a month car payment. People are just shocked when they hear it, because they're used to paying $350 a month for their underpowered and boring Honda Accord. To be honest, I find that women are normally the ones who take issue with a large car payment; for example, my Mom drives a fully loaded Prius with a ~$550 car payment. My dad drives a BMW M6 with a an $1800 car payment. My Mom thinks it's stupid, but she's the kind of person who just uses a car to get from point A to B, my Dad and I enjoy having fun while driving. And going upwards of 150 mph on the highway is a lot of fun; I think it's worth $1800 a month.

FYI, my parents both gross over $200,00 a year. So spending over $2,000 a month on cars isn't a massive blow.

-Don

I just can't respect anyone who keeps an M6. It's just an uglier, less practical M5. Having driven both, back to back (at one point my dad had both) I can also say the M5 is way more fun to flog around a track. That being said the M6 is a convertible, and it was fun jumping over the door into the drivers seat and taking off.

But why lease a nice car? I never understood that.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
This thread makes me sad, because with the talk of what everyone could afford based on income, I decided to do some calculations myself and came to the realization that if I didn't have student loan payments, I could probably be driving an M3 or S4 or something similar. Damn loans.

Sankersizzle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2010
Canadadada
This thread makes me sad, because with the talk of what everyone could afford based on income, I decided to do some calculations myself and came to the realization that if I didn't have student loan payments, I could probably be driving an M3 or S4 or something similar. Damn loans.

Probably for the best, seeing as S4's are for girls.

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
It's not all about the badge...

For a car that outpaces/outhandles most super cars many times it's price, it's almost a case of: why buy a 911 Turbo instead of this car?

I can completely see your point and I know that the GTR is a fantastic car (even for the money). But you cannot beat traditional market behaviour. When it comes to depreciation, that Nissan will produce an eye-watering cost to its owner.

I had a classic car until recently, a 1983 SL280 (straight six, these were never sold in the US, and of course I had European headlamps and bumpers). These cars' value isn't particularly high - around £8-10k with £30-40k buying an exceptionally good, post-'85 example. But if you look around and see other manufacturers' cars from that era, from that segment of the market, you'll see why buying a car with traditional pedigree was a good idea. Even compared to contemporary high-end Jaguars, BMWs, the SL maintained its value well.

The same applies to Porsches. Perhaps, buying a 911 isn't so expensive in the long run. But when I look at these Japanese performance cars from the nineties, I immediately know why I will never buy one. To me, driving is just not that important. I manage without nitrogen-filled tyres and exceptionally high performance figures. I enjoy the whole package with a car and whatever is beyond.

DesmoPilot

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2008
?? The what?

The GR6 Gearbox in the GTRs has been known to blow randomly. While not a widespread issue per-se, I'd say it's still something to be wary of considering the $90k investment. If his model's a 2010 it should be fine but who knows. To my knowledge Nissan dodged the bullet and never admitted to the issue. Also, if his GTR is a 2009 model he'll want to be aware of the launch control warranty settlement.

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
I just can't respect anyone who keeps an M6. It's just an uglier, less practical M5. Having driven both, back to back (at one point my dad had both) I can also say the M5 is way more fun to flog around a track. That being said the M6 is a convertible, and it was fun jumping over the door into the drivers seat and taking off.

I personally prefer the look of the M6 to the M5. My dad probably would have gotten an M5 instead of an M6 if there was an M5 convertable. He had an M5 before the M6, and I personally prefer driving the M6, I feel that the handling is better.

As for practicality, yeah an M5 is much more practical, but we also have a Range Rover which we use for practical transport.

Also, the M6 isn't a lease. The M5 was a lease as far as I know.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Probably for the best, seeing as S4's are for girls.

A-o o-a! Watch your tongue there! I love the S4, R8 and most of the Audi lineup -S5 the most. A 2nd old S4 can give a Gt-R current model a run for it's money in trrms or performance adult seating fuel efficiency and winter drivability. Just don't get a flat as nitrogen pumps for tires are not that common.

I've only seen 1 GT-R in Toronto and some fat dude gloats while he drives it; can't reLly blame him though.

Sankersizzle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2010
Canadadada
Really? Get out!

Maybe I am; but my Mom's Prius probably disproves your theory.

-Don

Haha, alright you got me there... my mom drives the Rover. Still close, though.

A-o o-a! Watch your tongue there! I love the S4, R8 and most of the Audi lineup -S5 the most. A 2nd old S4 can give a Gt-R current model a run for it's money in trrms or performance adult seating fuel efficiency and winter drivability. Just don't get a flat as nitrogen pumps for tires are not that common.

I've only seen 1 GT-R in Toronto and some fat dude gloats while he drives it; can't reLly blame him though.

:p, what I meant was the RS4 is where it's at. The stock S4 is for girls. That being said I've seen some stage 2 S4's that would spank my M3 all day.

My buddy has an RS4 and it's probably one of the best sounding cars I've heard. It's no M3, but it will do the job if one isn't available, lol. Also, I'm from Toronto, and I think I've seen the guy you're talking about. If the GT-R is grey, then it's the same dude. He is pretty huge...

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Haha, alright you got me there... my mom drives the Rover. Still close, though.

:p, what I meant was the RS4 is where it's at. The stock S4 is for girls. That being said I've seen some stage 2 S4's that would spank my M3 all day.

My buddy has an RS4 and it's probably one of the best sounding cars I've heard. It's no M3, but it will do the job if one isn't available, lol. Also, I'm from Toronto, and I think I've seen the guy you're talking about. If the GT-R is grey, then it's the same dude. He is pretty huge...

M3's rock - I just don't like the styling of the latest generation. But who am I kidding I don't own a car yet. too long a story really (and basically gave up until next year); getting tired of ppl farting on the bus/subway ... one day I'll kick someone to plug their butt.

Back on topic, RS4 is sweet.

Yup, that's the huge guy driving the stark grey GT-R. Sometime's I feel that he should park it running and someone to jump in drive off just a block to have him run and get some exercise. lol. Think he'll trade for my Trek 6000? ;)

SaMaster14

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2010
Los Angeles, CA

Agreed about the m6 lol.

But about leasing a nice car, why not?

My dad had a leased MBZ SL550. He doesn't want to do anything special to it (he is the kind of guy who gets a car to go from point A to B) but he still has a $100,000+ car. Im not gonna say what he makes precicely ... But somewhere over the $500,000 a year mark.

But some people just don't like cars. I have a relative who leases the same car as my dad but makes over $10million a year ... And I also have relatives that make something close go that and have 10 super cars in their garages.

SaMaster14

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Agreed. I never understood financing a nice car. If you have to make a monthly payment then you can't afford it. If you can afford it you'll pay cash.

Read my post above. That's just not true. Especially for people who don't care much for cars (but they want something nice to show off and drive for a couple of years. And when the lease is up, they can get a new car or upgraded model).

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
Agreed. I never understood financing a nice car. If you have to make a monthly payment then you can't afford it. If you can afford it you'll pay cash.

Dunno how it works, but for businesses, they can claim the monthly payments as a expenditure and it'll come out of their taxes.

Krafty

macrumors 601
Dec 31, 2007
La La Land
I've waited for FOREVER for an 'american' Skyline...too bad I won't be able to afford one anytime soon. lol

The R34 has always been my favorite anyway.

URL]
Same, I was actually hoping they would keep the standard shift.

LOVE standard. Me and another dude saw an imported R34 in Atlantic Station down in Midtown, Georgia and we lost our minds (my female friends didnt understand).

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
Anyone that would spend $90,000 on a Nissan makes we :(, spend the $90,000 on a real car such as a Dodge Viper :D!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.