From Gizmodo, go naked!

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by lukester, Sep 29, 2012.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

2. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

It's not.

But imagine if you were Jony Ive and you saw millions of people completely ignoring the design aspects that you worked for months on by covering them up with a bulky, ugly case.

3. mysterydate macrumors 6502

mysterydate

Imagine if you were a designer and saw millions upon millions of people using your product. Stop. I think that'd be cause for celebration, every damn day. :)

He's got plenty of 'nakeds' out there. I saw many today.

I think if Ive gets seriously butthurt about people using his designed product in unimagined ways, he needs to take a vacation, and reflect on what it means to be a designer. Repurposing and redesign has been going on since the first rock and stick got combined to form a spear.

That's exactly what people are doing, be it for aesthetic, protection, or features.

I'm guessing it bugs him a little, but seeing your 'stuff' everywhere probably mitigates it somewhat. :)

4. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

Off topic: Im really digging your twig cases!

any info on when they'll be available for iphone 5?

5. leenak macrumors 68020

When I can get a colored phone, I'll consider going caseless.

6. dieburnbot macrumors 6502a

dieburnbot

Cases save you if you drop your phone. Personally, I've never dropped my phone, but it has been sitting on a table and someone decided to trip over the wire. Glad I had an ugly case on it during those times. An ugly case will always look better than a cracked screen or something. My 2 cents.

7. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Clearly the author has never sold a used iPhone, or at least doesn't care how much he gets for it.

I have bought and sold every iPhone model made to date, and the pristine condition I keep them in has gotten me top dollar each time.

8. buddybd macrumors 6502

They don't make any real argument.

Of course I'm worried about resale value, if $40 difference was the amount then no, but what about breaking the phone entirely? I've seen tons of iPhones with shattered screens, what's their resale value?

I personally dropped mine on the road when riding my bike, and its the bumper that saved it from shattering. Only sign of a fall are the two big dents on the bumper and nothing anywhere else.

So yes I will continue to use cases (or at least bumpers) to protect my resale value, that'll allow me to get new phones every year or so. If Ive was really concerned, he'd design a phone not as fragile as the ones out currently.

9. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I don't like cases too, but that article sucked. Felt like the author is living in his own bubble and doesn't realize some professions may require a case.

10. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

Bingo. The dings and nicks that the author claims add "character" to his phone? You can bet your ass that people looking to buy his phone really don't care about the wonderful memory of him walking into a wall drunk. Character < $$$$.

ETA: I only dropped my 4S once, but that was a catastrophic one, involving me tripping on an upraised sidewalk slab and flinging my phone down the sidewalk, where it skidded several feet and came to rest in someone's lawn. My only damage was a couple of dings in my Element Vapor Pro. Even a minimalist case like that can save a boatload in screen replacement, etc.

11. white4s Suspended

12. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

This is something I'll never understand... You keep your phone in mint condition (I'll assume you use a case and screen protectors) just to sell it to someone else so they can then enjoy the beauty and 'pristine' condition of the phone? If you're buying a phone used, you expect to get a scratch or two on the device. No one expects to get a pristine condition phone.

It's like buying a car but never driving it... So when you sell it, the new owner can enjoy taking the car for a spin for the very first time. It just doesn't make sense to me. You paid money for the phone... Enjoy the true beauty of it and stop caring so much about what you can get for it when you sell it.

You probably spend more in cases and possibly screen protectors than you actually get back value wise. A scratched back plate to hell means nothing as you can get a replacement for $30.

A legit Element Vapor Pro costs almost the same as a screen replacement. But by the way you typed your comment, I can tell you own a fake one. If you could afford to spend $179.99 on a case, you could surely afford an extra $20 to get the screen replaced.

13. armoredsaint macrumors regular

armoredsaint

i agree - but i only have a skin on the back and that's it. past phones never had cases either or skins.

14. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

For me, the true beauty of the iPhone isn't just skin deep. LTE and a nice fast chip are as beautiful if not more so than the design of the physical phone. But if I had to pay $200 every time I upgraded to a new phone, I wouldn't be able to afford it. This year I sold my 4S for the exact same price as the 5 cost me. If my 4S was beat up, I couldn't have done that. So keeping my phone as clean as possible allows me to enjoy the many other beautiful features of every new iPhone.

15. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

May I ask how much you spend per year protecting your phone?

For most people the money they spend hardly makes up for the money they're getting in return. My iPhone 4 has two scratches on the back after two years of using it. Not bad if you ask me. I'm pretty rough on my phone as well. I'm sure the re-sale value would be close to a perfectly mint iPhone 4.

I've done the whole case thing in the past, and protected my iPhone 3GS with an otterbox to get full re-sale value. I just felt stupid afterwards to be honest... I sold a perfectly mint iPhone 3GS to a friend and they scratched it up in the first week. They didn't even care that it was 'mint' and to be honest... I don't even think they noticed. Not to mention the money I invested in cases. Now I have a drawer full of about 7 of them that are awaiting the trash can.

Do whatever makes you happy, but once you go caseless... You'll never want to throw a cheap piece of plastic on your device ever again. :p The only case I sometimes use with my iPhone 4 is my Mophie. That case is a life savor at times.

I'm really looking forward to getting the iPhone 5. All the pictures & videos I've seen have made me extremely jealous.

16. Aimetti macrumors newbie

There is a reason why I havent paid a dime on a cell phone in 4 years.

I take care of my phone and I have a case and screen protector on them.

To each their own though. I value my money even though I could afford one anyways. Its nice making a few hundred bucks every time an iphone comes out.

17. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

I've spent more some years than other. Last year I bought maybe $50 worth of cases and screen protectors. This year, $35 so far.

Yes, that partially defeats the purpose of maximizing resale value, but it not enough to negate it entirely.

18. Zetaprime macrumors 65816

I plan on putting a skin on the back of my iPhone 5 as soon as said skin arrives in the mail in about 2 weeks. Till then I will continue to treat my phone extra carefully to avoid scratches. I did put a screen protector on right away but was unable to find a skin for the back at any local shop.

19. mysterydate macrumors 6502

mysterydate

Thanks! We like them too :) Prototyping is almost done, and we're hoping to be ready to ship in 3 weeks.

20. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Your cases look nice, but your website is deceiving. It would appear that the iPhone 5 case is available for preorder for $20. Not the case, apparently. You might want to clarify it a bit.

21. apierrec macrumors 6502

Speaking of opinions: I totally agree with the article.

22. TC25 macrumors 68020

If people want to use screen protectors, cases, etc. to protect their phone, that's a logical choice, but to claim a pristine phone gets more at resale time, enough to cover the costs of the protective gear, is wishful thinking. Short of sorting all used iPhone sale prices based on condition, there's no way to know this.

23. lukester thread starter macrumors 6502

I am still giving this a lot of thought. case or no case.

My two last iphones had more damage from the Sena magnetic flipper case on the backs because of sand and dirt then if they were without a case. All kinds of scratches on the back..
    Plus I dropped my phones and the the top corners were not protected in the case and they had slight dings on them.. So that case though it looked nice did not really protect and keep the phones pristine.