Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

debrey

macrumors regular
May 4, 2006
Chicago
I don't think Apple should be waiting for the tablet market to mature. They should be the driving force behind it maturing.

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
Very cool if they include the sensing pixels camera thing so you can scan documents in. I have been saying this for a long time. You do this, you own the educational market.

OMG, I did not even think about the light sensing pixels this way. Flatbed scanner and touch-display at the same time. The light sensing could be use to track your fingers too (why not?) so you can use all ten of them. That would be exactly the same as the NYU project Multi-Touch, but without the camera and projector: it's all in the screen. For scanning documents, the screen would have to light up all the way I guess to illuminate the document.

Imagine: you got a note or a page of a book on an old-school piece op paper, open Grab, put the note on the display, scan, export as PDF with Font recognition (or not).
For now, I use photobooth and the iSight to make quick pics of documents and post-its. Drag it to iCal to make a reminder, done.

Philberttheduck

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2006
HB, CA
Mac Tablet will be expensive as hell. If Apple is smart, they should incorporate all the stuff listed in this thread (yeah, right). I mean, look at the UMPC. It's hard to blame them for the expensive tags, but bottom line is they're expensive. (And before you flame me for saying it was also overhyped, just realize that that is not my point)

Full(screen!? why not an actual 16:9 widescreen.) Video iPod is hopefully going to be the answer to all our prayers. I think they can actually release the video ipod without an event. i mean, it'll probably be the same as the iphone, just thicker and no extra features.

blueflame

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2003
Studio City
mac tablet

did anyone see the movie "The Island" with scarlet and ewan? remember the doctors desk that he passes notes around, and pictures and file wahtnot. I believe.
A

mahonmeister

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2006
Redlands, CA
I don't think Apple should be waiting for the tablet market to mature. They should be the driving force behind it maturing.

Well said. That would be a very "Apple" thing to do now wouldn't it.:)

I really hope this widescreen video iPod comes sometime soon, hopefully at the $350 or $400 mark.

MacinDoc

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2004
The Great White North
I mean seriously, can anyone not see the Widescreen video iPod with touch controls coming?

Predicting that is like saying that Apple will be releasing a new OS after Leopard. You don't know for sure, but you'd have to be an /r/-tard to not figure it out on your own.

The R&D is done, the product already exists, swap out the phone stuff, put in an HDD (60/80/120GB), paint that biatch white, and there you go.
Yes, the only question is when. With Apple's conservative estimates for the next quarter, I think a May release is likely, or at least some time between the end of the current fiscal quarter and the launch of the iPhone.

The only other question is whether the form factor will copy the iPhone, or go with a true widescreen aspect ratio instead.

As SJ said, "stay tuned"...

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
They've said it a million times Tablet PCs are not at all in demand.
Windows based tablets and UMPCs have not been in demand because the stupid things cost 3-5 times as much as a low end notebook, typically around $1.5 to $2K. A $900-$1200 tablet might find a decent niche. Similarly, since UMPCs tend to be around $1K a $700 UMPC like device would have a chance.

And before you say that Apple is too expensive, the MacBook is a great example of a small thin PC that would generally have commanded a premium price in the $2K neighborhood from the likes of Sony.

B

brandon6684

Dec 30, 2002
Hopefully this tablet is less like a Windows tablet PC and more like the iPhone without the phone, kind of in the same vein as Nokia's tablet.

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
I mean seriously, can anyone not see the Widescreen video iPod with touch controls coming?

Predicting that is like saying that Apple will be releasing a new OS after Leopard. You don't know for sure, but you'd have to be an /r/-tard to not figure it out on your own.

The R&D is done, the product already exists, swap out the phone stuff, put in an HDD (60/80/120GB), paint that biatch white, and there you go.

!

I wholeheartedly concur.

Get that ma out the fudgin door so i can buy it.

Bonte

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2002
Bruges, Belgium
I'm pretty sure the multi-touch in the phone isn't stylus compatible... That doesn't bode well for a tablet unless they're using a completely different screen technology...

A stylus or a fingernail don't work on the iPhone, only naked fingers. Other devices like the tablet will probably work the same but i'm sure a compatible iPhone stylus is in the works somewhere. Pure genius to start off with 100% finger touch input.

Metatron

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2002
Sound great, would love to have a tablet for taking notes, etc. Finally, Inkwell put to use...

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
In a cup of orange juice.
All I want, is an Apple tablet with an Intuous 3 level Wacom tech. :)

I wonder if cNet spent the time to point out that the Zune's supposed widescreen, is the same aspect ratio as the video iPod? :rolleyes:

Anyway, since the phone isn't an option for me, I certainly will be buying one of these new iPods. I just hope Apple will allow us to import our own Widgets. :(

<]=)

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
I'm sure there is a lot of demand for a tablet mac if it's done properly and it's affordable. If it runs mini-osX though I wonder what it's capable of.. Main reason I'd want a tablet mac is for apps like photoshop.. Which likely won't run at all on the new Os - especially if the Tablet mac ends up being ARM based too.

Strange goings on..

Mr Ikasu

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2004
Certainly seems likely they will release this soon.

I am in the UK and need something to replace my 20GB 4G as soon as I can.
A full video iPod would be perfect until the iPhone is released and would still offer something very different in terms of letting me have all my media with me instead of just a choice sample.

Here's hoping we get it soon, after all the current iPod hasn't *really* been updated for over a year.

BillyShears

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2003
How big are cell phone parts?

Re: iPod
I think we could figure out roughly what features would be included if we knew approximately how big the cell phone parts in the iPhone were.

Would the cell phone functionality take up as much space as the difference between an 8GB flash drive and an 100GB hard drive? What about the wireless card?

I wouldn't be (particularly) interested in watching movies on the "full screen" iPod, but I'd be very interested in using to surf around the net, check emails, etc while at home.

Re: Tablet

I'd be curious to see what they come up with. It sounds to me like if they are using the "mini" OS X, this would be unlike any tablet PC we've seen. It would be more along the lines of an oversized iPhone than a full-fledged PC that just happens to have a touchscreen.

I like that idea.

Why would you need to run all the apps available in OS X for a tablet? For the education market, this would be something you carry along to class, not a desktop replacement. This also explains the docking station. You take it home, plug it in, and it syncs your notes up.

This would also probably keep the costs down. It wouldn't need super fast processors, fast audio/video cards, DVD drive, keyboard, trackpad.

The form factor would be curious. I'd expect it to be much smaller than current tablets. I'd also hope it would be mostly operable by fingers (a la iPhone), but I imagine it would need a stylus of some sort to input text. (Typing notes for 3 hours would be excruciating on a flat touchscreen.)

The Scotsman

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2007
iPhone -iPod

Does anyone like me think that releasing the iPod before the iPhone would have a bad effect on the sales of iPhones.

I have been following closely the rumors of a true widescreen video iPod and last novemebr they died to be replaced by iPhone rumors. Fair enough I start to get excited about this. The iPhone gets released and it certainly is a nice piece of kit but I fail to see the point of it as it does not replace a high capacity ipod as after OS and formatting issues a 8gb model will only have 7 gb of free space when you get it. I record tv shows from my eyetv on my imac and watch missed episodes on my lunch break.

In a roundabout way what I am saying is buy an iPhone you still have to carry a high capacity iPod if you are a high capacity user. Launch a video iPod and all those people who were going to buy the iPhone on the pure bling factor will no doubt be satisfied by a high capacity true video iPod. Therefore dropping your potential sales for release week of the iPhone.

Mr. Man

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2007
that would be great 8GB on the phone is not nearley enough for me!

i think it should have a camera and a virtual clickweel aswell, that would be great

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.