Further Translation and Photos from Purported Next Gen iPhone Leak

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Yesterday's claimed leak of the next generation iPhone has generated a lot of attention, resulting in the original site (UMPCFever) going down from the traffic. One 9to5Mac reader provides an manual translation of the entry which provides a bit more detail and insight behind the story. The fully translated entry with a mirror of the original pictures has been organized here and is much easier to follow. It starts:
It's already 3am, and I totally cannot sleep. 'Cuz I just came home after meeting a friend from the U.S. This friend brought me something, and it's not H1N1. Instead, it is a item that will be under the world's spotlights -- a third generation iPhone prototype. This friend is a mysterious person. Even this 3rd Gen iPhone is also very mysterious. He said one can only take fuzzy snapshots of it, and not clear shots. 'Cuz it's still not officially released. So, in regards to the fuzzy photos below, I apologize!

Also, since this is a prototype, the styling of the phone absolutely cannot be disclosed. And there is also a high likelihood that the final product will differ in look. So, there will not be any photos here that compare the old and new iPhone in terms of appearance.
The following images show a comparison of photos taken with the current iPhone (left) and the new iPhone (right), meant to demonstrate the superiority of the Auto-Focus camera in the new iPhone.

The article also describes the built-in compass funtionality: "Upon press of a button, the direction is immediately displayed. It will be very useful when travel or mountain hiking." The rest of the screenshots seem to depict features that have been known to be coming in iPhone 3.0. The compass interface, however, has not been previously seen, nor has the auto-focus "square" depicted here.

Article Link: Further Translation and Photos from Purported Next Gen iPhone Leak

Doodledoo

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
The most interesting thing about this is that the article dates from March 19th, two days after the 3.0 keynote. Wow. Took everyone long enough to find it! Also, it's surprising how fast the prototype leaked.

---

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2008
Canada
Glad to see he smartened up and put on his seatbelt for the 2nd photo. The shock of how clear the image was would have knocked him out of his seat.

nfl46

macrumors 604
Oct 5, 2008
Look @ this guys. :)

There are two sides to this coin, the way we see it. On the one hand, the handful of pictures that have just popped over on UMPC Fever demo many of the features we're expecting to see in new iPhone hardware this summer -- magnetic compass, autofocus camera, video recording capability, and a battery percentage meter in the status bar. On the other hand, having a good feel for those rumored features makes it that much easier to mock up ridiculously blurry shots of 'em in action. The compass seems a little overdone, but then again, it's not necessarily out of place considering the direction Apple has taken its voice recorder app in 3.0, so we're going to play the cautiously optimistic diplomat here and say these could very well be real.

Update: We've swapped the top pic and added some larger, clearer looks after the break. It's possible that we might be looking at two new variants of iPhone hardware here. Note the difference in styling between the phone on the right and the phone on the left? Well, if we're to believe what we've heard about the future of the line, these could be the first photos of what Apple has in store for WWDC. The model on the right might easily be that matte version we've heard about... but that thing on the left? We have no idea, though it would be an insane move on a counterfeiter's part to fake something so bizarre. What we mean is: it's almost too weird to be fake.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
The most interesting thing about this is that the article dates from March 19th, two days after the 3.0 keynote. Wow. Took everyone long enough to find it! Also, it's surprising how fast the prototype leaked.
this is not true. the article was dated 5/30 I believe. Besides, otherwise he'd also have predicted swine flu, if the dates you say are correct.

arn

puffnstuff

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2008
so the mystery behind why the photos are fuzzy has been reviled

I wonder if this mysterious guy walks around in dark glasses and a trench coat. Perhaps he goes by a secret code name.

CherryJello

macrumors regular
May 30, 2009
By changing the contrast on the earlier pictures, it is pretty clear that the chrome bezel is gone replaced by all black.

Which is interesting because the rumor of Apple doing away with the chrome bezel really only gained traction last week with the supposed leak of the casing.

The same leak also showed the ear piece speaker moved to the top of the phone, which it clearly is not in these pictures.

One question answered, two pop up.

LastStarfighter

macrumors member
May 29, 2009
UK
A site called Mr Gadget is saying these screenshots are just of an iPhone running 3.0 rather than the new device.

Apparently this information comes from a translation of the original page...

Here's a link to the article

CherryJello

macrumors regular
May 30, 2009
A site called Mr Gadget is saying these screenshots are just of an iPhone running 3.0 rather than the new device.

Apparently this information comes from a translation of the original page...

Here's a link to the article
This article is complete BS. The Compass or Auto-Focus features have not been in ANY 3.0 beta to date. Plus these features require new hardware, new hardware not available in the 3G iPhone. Which he never mentions in the blog post.

HymerSchmidt

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2008
Stockton, CA
This is all well and good, but the current iPhone obviously takes larger photos(left) than the upcoming one(right).

Whether to upgrade will be quite a debate.

Wayfarer

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2007
I wonder if this mysterious guy walks around in dark glasses and a trench coat. Perhaps he goes by a secret code name.
Vaguely reminds me of a certain dude from ThinkSecret™. ;)

Whoops, was that a forbidden word? :eek::D:rolleyes:;)

Gatteau

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2009
Italy
By a 'better camera,' does that mean the camera is still a 2MP or is it going to be bumped to a 3.2MP?

str1f3

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2008
if only it came to verizion..........
It could happen. There has been a lot of rumors that  will be announcing a Verizon iPhone of some kind at WWDC. I would only hope it's not some crippled version.

So, the new iPhone is a matte version on the left.

The matte looks sexy as hell. Hope it has a nice grip with a slight rubber-like feel.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.