Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

If you plan on buying an iPhone XR

• I will preorder/buy on the first day

Votes: 68 52.7%
  • I'll wait and see how things work out with the early adopters

Votes: 61 47.3%

• Total voters

Phone Junky

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 29, 2011
Midwest
Are you going to preorder as soon as preorders go live/buy on launch day or will you wait and see how things shake out with the early adopters? Given the 'issues' that happen with newly released models, I was curious if that would affect your decision to buy on the first day.

icemantx

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2009
Are you going to preorder as soon as preorders go live/buy on launch day or will you wait and see how things shake out with the early adopters? Given the 'issues' that happen with newly released models, I was curious if that would affect your decision to buy on the first day.

I’m still deciding if I want to pre-order site unseen since I am unsure if I will feel the XR is too big compared to my 7 or the XS, which is my other option... That said I am leaning towards the 128gb red XR and return if it is not for me and spend the extra $$$ on the XS 256gb.

rebretz000

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2018
I'm going to pre-order. I already have Apple Watch 4's coming and I had pre-ordered iPhone XS's but I had to send them back for the signal issue.

Broadus

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
Upstate SC
I’m not real sure. I would like to wait till reviews are out. I wonder if the initial demand is going to outstrip initial supply.

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
I plan on waiting until NotebookCheck tests the iPhone XR for PWM. If it has PWM, I will buy an iPhone 8 Plus.

PWM on the LCD? Mmmkay.

I personally do not listen to a few dozen super sensitive threads on a help forum when it comes to my purchasing decisions. If you notice, every year, there something to 'complain' about with a new product launch, and all the 'tech reviewers' will double down on this as click-bait - better viewing figures for them, leans into peoples fears.

Anyway, they mass produce millions of these in a short space of time, I am fully expecting to hear faults on a few, if I get a fault I will deal with it by calling Apple, simple!

Squeak825

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2007
I plan on waiting until NotebookCheck tests the iPhone XR for PWM. If it has PWM, I will buy an iPhone 8 Plus.

Was thinking the exact same thing, but with 14 day return period from Apple, and the chance these will sell out fast, figured just better to get it and then see what happens -- especially since if this one doesn't work for me, I will stick with the 8 I have (and trying to sell my XS that kills me now).
PWM on the LCD? Mmmkay.

While it shouldn't, the fear is that because the LCD is a new panel for Apple, that something might change forcing them to do it as well. Remote chance indeed (and other people have claimed email exchanges with engineers at Apple that say no PWM

Pre-order (PRODUCT)RED™ XR 128 GB at 3 am EDT.

This

Reactions: 5105973

NJHitmen

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2010
I’m not going to preorder because first I want to see the XR for myself. Primarily, I want to see what the display is like, and how big it feels. Then I’ll decide which way I want to go (XR or XS).

Reactions: Heithel

Broadus

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
Upstate SC
That's the beauty of living in PDT land. We don't need to order while groggy. The XR 128 GB is going to be the sweet spot and will probably sell quickly.

Lucky you. ;)

I think you’re right on 128GB being the sweet spot. The XR with 128GB storage has been my choice since the day the new phones were announced. Since 2011 I’ve had two phones, a 4S and then in 2015 a 6s. I’ve been waiting for a larger screen but small than the overall size of the Plus models. I suspect many others have, too. It may be a 3 a.m. morning for me.

MattEcho

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2011
With no hands on experience, I was all set to ignore the Xs and go straight for the Xr preorder. Today I stopped in to my Apple store for the first time in a while to check out the new Xs, but really to take a look at the new watch. Now I’m torn...the Xs Max is gorgeous and not too big, like I thought it would be. So I’ll be waiting till the Xr is out and comparing to the Max.

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
You seem pretty confident that LCD displays never use PWM. Ignorance is bliss, I suppose.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/PWM-Ranking-Notebooks-Smartphones-and-Tablets-with-PWM.163979.0.html

Bliss indeed, iPhone LCD's display 0 flickering according to that link "Devices listed with a "0" did not show big brightness fluctuations in our measurements". If someone is getting headaches using one of them, then they need glasses - not an endless nit-picking hypochondriac discussion on the internet.

People love a bandwagon, 'radiation' from phones, allergy to EM, and now sensitivity to PWM - despite Pulse Width Modulation being used in every LED manufactured since the dawn of the Light Emitting Diodes (It's how you emulate light, you turn it on/off very quickly and it gives the illusion of light). Alas, 2018 people are finally waking up and developing a problem with it. *Shrugs* o_O. On the plus side, it's just a headache now and no longer causes square eyes or blindness, so that's progress I suppose.

A very slow pulse creates a strobe effect, which is known to cause epileptic seizures in some people. But a fast pulse is imperceivable to the human eye. Heck, all light sources flicker, get out your phone and go film some lights in slow motion - street lights, TV's, monitors...

I'm in no way ignorant of how these things work, but I am blissful in my confidence that next year it'll be something new for click-bait susceptible people to discuss within a bias reinforcement loop.

Anyway, all I mean is just buy the phone/product you want and enjoy it. If you develop any biological symptoms when using a device then visit a doctor - not the MacRumor forums :)

NorthSeaBeach

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2014
The Hague
As it is, I’m pretty sure that I’m going to preorder the blue 128 Gb variant. When blue is not available I’ll try the white version. On a 6s and waited long enough. I think the Xr in 128 Gb will sell out fast and I don’t want to wait another few months. I can try it during the return period and see for myself if I can live with the trade-offs. If not, I’ll return it and get either a X or a 8 Plus.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.