Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

If you plan on buying an iPhone XR

• I will preorder/buy on the first day

Votes: 68 52.7%
  • I'll wait and see how things work out with the early adopters

Votes: 61 47.3%

• Total voters

Ixon2001

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2017
Wigan UK
I was hoping for the SE2 but it looks like that not gonna happen, so after the New Year i might go for a XR 128GB to replace my SE 128GB after I've seen it for myself first.

Heithel

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2017
I'll get it to replace my 7 as my birthday present in the beginning of December as I usually do.
This also gives me the advantage of having plenty of reviews and opinions by early adopters, to see if there's anything crucially wrong with it, or early release QC issues or defects which might be fixed after the release of the very first batch. I am a parasite I know, but then again I didn't ask to be born in December rather than September ahahahah!

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I'll wait until reviews are out, my girlfriend is interested in one. I'll likely point her towards the XS though if the screen isn't great.

Broadus

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
Upstate SC
I think the Xr in 128 Gb will sell out fast and I don’t want to wait another few months. I can try it during the return period and see for myself if I can live with the trade-offs. If not, I’ll return it and get either a X or a 8 Plus.

I'm sure you're right about that. Many iPhone users have waited for a while for a larger screen but find the X/XS and XS Max too expensive. The XR seems like a great all-around device for the money, and 128GB the preferred storage capacity, again, for the money.

gurase

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2015
I’m planning on preordering the red 128gb. I would normally get sim-free, but it looks like all the models have the same radios and bands, and there won’t be a sim-free model at launch like the XS. I waited for the sim-free 6S+, but I’ll just go with the T-Mobile XR. We made it to October!

Reactions: Skika

brian3uk

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2016
I was going to wait for the SIM free option but if the modem is same in all carrier variants then I guess i'll just order at 3am.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I'll wait until reviews are out, my girlfriend is interested in one. I'll likely point her towards the XS though if the screen isn't great.

I expect the XR screen/display to be that of the iPhone 8 or something remotely similar in brightness and how stark it is. Which in fairness, I really actually do like Apples LCD display calibration, but I’m just passed that point where I really do appreciate OLED once you first experience over LCD.

Last edited:

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I expect the XR screen/display to be that of the iPhone 8 or something remotely similar in brightness and how stark it was. Which in fairness, I really actually do like Apples LCD display calibration, but I’m just passed that point where I really do appreciate OLED once you first experience over LCD.

Yea I am in the same boat as you, but I'll let her compare against her X in store and see if it's a huge difference. If it's a major downgrade, she'll likely go for the XS instead.

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
Neither of those really fit. I am going to wait for my current IUP to be fully paid off, so I don't have to trade in my old phones (handing them off to the kids). I'll also be waiting to hear a bit about them and maybe get a hands on at the store. We will be getting them, though. I like what I've seen in the descriptions, so far.

eduschean

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2014
I will probably hold off as I intend to, but I am very curious about the WiFi/cellular connections given some folks are having issues with the Xs and Xs Max.

If I do upgrade, Project Red 128gb all the way.

Wont the XR have an LTE modem similar to last years X? I know it won’t have gigabit LTE like the XS.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Wont the XR have an LTE modem similar to last years X? I know it won’t have gigabit LTE like the XS.
That blogger said it's a strong 2x2 setup.

https://www.wiwavelength.com/2018/09/iphone-xr-trades-4x4-mimo-for-greater.html

iPhone%2B8%2BPlus%2BEIRP.png

A1901%2BINTC.png

iPhone%2BXS%2BMax%2BEIRP.png

iPhone%2BXR%2BEIRP.png

It seems the two strongest here are the XR and 8 Plus, while the XS Max comes in last.

sorgo †

Cancelled
Feb 16, 2016
This may be me too but...Intel modem? eek

looks ok, but still not great.
The Intel and Qualcomm modems used in the former iPhone X have been shown by Andrew Shepherd to perform almost identically except for slight disparities on two bands. Not too bad if you ask me (or him).

The real deficiency in the current iPhone generation most likely lies in the 4x4 antenna array of the XR’s pricier counterparts; as far as we know the XR’s simpler 2x2 array seems to mostly prevent such an issue.

In other words: I wouldn't worry too much just yet.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.