'Fuze' Case for iPhone 7 Aims to Bring Back the 3.5mm Headphone Jack

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 29, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

A new iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus case launched recently on Indiegogo, called "Fuze," with the explicit goal of providing an integrated 3.5mm headphone jack directly into the body of the protective case. With an integrated Lightning adapter that plugs into the iPhone 7, the Fuze case provides users with the ability to charge their new iPhone and listen to music simultaneously without the need of a dongle or adapter.

[​IMG]

As a bonus, Fuze also provides extra battery life to the iPhone, and is rated for 2,400 mAh for the 4.7-inch iPhone 7 and 3,600 mAh for the 5.5-inch iPhone 7 Plus. As a comparison, Apple's Smart Battery Case for the iPhone 7 is rated for 2,365 mAh. Fuze said its own case provides "a doubled battery life," with sync-through charging so users can charge their iPhone, the case's battery, and listen to music at the same time.
    The company said that its case is made out of durable TPU and ABS plastics, which Apple uses in its first-party battery case, to provide protection against drops and scratches. Fuze also lacks the "chin" of Apple's Smart Battery Case, "adding only 5mm (.2 inches) to the overall thickness of the phone." The case weighs 2.9 ounces as well, which the company equates to less than a deck of playing cards, so Fuze in total "keeps the slim design the iPhone is known for," without unnecessary or bulky additions.

The campaign has a goal of $60,000 over the next month, with the first "super early bird" perk priced at $49 for one Fuze case, going to a basic early bird level at $59, and landing on the predicted retail price of $69 once the first two tiers sell out.

Users can choose from white, black, gold, rose gold, and blue colors for the case, and the company is currently claiming that the first units "should arrive before December 23" of this year. All the same, potential backers should note the sometimes disappointing nature of crowdfunding campaigns, which could lead to schedule postponements, design alterations, or cancellation.

Article Link: 'Fuze' Case for iPhone 7 Aims to Bring Back the 3.5mm Headphone Jack

2. Fall Under Cerulean Kites macrumors 6502

Fall Under Cerulean Kites

Instead, how about a case that has dual lightning connectors instead? If you want to use 3.5mm headphones, the included $9 adapter works perfectly and adds zero bulk. Most people use the (now lightning) included headphones, anyway.

3. BobVB macrumors 6502a

BobVB

Well that didn’t take long. Now everyone can have what they want, probably just as Apple expected.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 29, 2016 ---
    Write them a note and ask - obviously a lightning hub case would be potentially useful to those in the audio creation industries too. The single lightning port on the phone can be turned into just about anything anyone needs.

4. intopieces macrumors newbie

I was sort of intrigued before I saw the video. Cringe city.

5. blackcrayon macrumors 68000

I like the idea of cases that add multiple types of functionality.. Battery plus a 3.5" jack? Nice.

6. jmh600cbr macrumors 6502a

jmh600cbr

Get used to it this year or next. The jack isn't coming back.

7. Boatboy24 macrumors 6502a

The iPhone 7 is apparently 7.1mm thick. Adding 5mm is a HUGE change.

Still, adding battery life AND a jack is nice.

8. zorinlynx macrumors 603

zorinlynx

I knew this was coming. Frankly I think it's overkill.

The best solution would be a compact adapter that plugs into the lightning port and provides a lightning port and a headphone jack. Not two lightning ports. I'm sure it'll come soon.

Meanwhile, the Apple headphone jack adapter works and sounds great. The ONLY complaint I have is that the cable seems flimsy, but I think it may be tougher than it looks. Earpod cables have always been flimsy like that, yet extremely durable.

Either way, I can't remember the last time I charged and used headphones at the same time. And I've been an iPhone user since 2010/iPhone 4.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 29, 2016 ---
    I can see something like this being good for traveling. You need extra battery, and are listening to music on your headphones often. But outside that specific use case, UGH.

9. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

So adaptor case and an adaptor?

10. max.ine macrumors regular

max.ine

Remember when we tried to bring back the physical keyboard?

11. GeneralChang macrumors 65816

As far as battery cases go, I imagine this one will be pretty popular.

12. TigerWoodsIV macrumors 6502a

13. ColdShadow macrumors 65816

ColdShadow

elimination of standard headphone jack was a really stupid,un-necessary decision.no question.

14. Chuck Kostalnick macrumors regular

Chuck Kostalnick

Yeah, the video is horrible. I think it reflects the product, though, looking at the prototypes the presented, it seems like the cheapest garbage. Decent case manufacturers will create cases with this feature soon enough, and then Flex will disappear - hopefully before they produce another marketing video.

15. 2457282 Suspended

So far I have had no issues with the lightning earpods. The slightly longer battery life means that since I got my iPhone7 I have not had to charge it until I go to sleep so this has not been an issue. However the really bad video did make a case for things like square that currently work off the jack. My guess is that they will be creating a lightning version of the square adapter soon. But for folks using the phone for things like square or other add-on, i do see a potential need for two lightning connector since this would require the phone to charge during the day.

16. Robertesnob macrumors newbie

This is great! I want more adapters to help adapt to my aging technology. It isn't fair that my car doesn't have a cassette player. To play all of my cassette tapes.

17. newyorkone macrumors 6502

newyorkone

18. Porco, Sep 29, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2016

Porco macrumors 68030

Porco

I found the video hilarious and terrible and cringeworthy and great all at the same time.

I think the product is a good idea, and I don't think it will be the only example. I hope they are successful if it's well made and works properly. Still think it was a ridiculous decision of Apple to get rid of the headphone socket.

I doubt it will happen, but it would be interesting if Apple made their own version of this, seeing as they do make the lightning to headphone adapter and they do make the much-maligned lumpy battery cases... Why not combine the two?

19. AngerDanger, Sep 29, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2016

AngerDanger macrumors 601

AngerDanger

Yes, the entire video was cringe-worthy, but as an aspiring motion graphics editor, this is what got to me:

[​IMG]

What lazy matte generation! :mad:

EDIT: I took a few minutes to fix it. It would've been quicker without the original lazy job.

20. avanpelt macrumors 68030

I would love to know why Apple seemingly won't license the Lightning port to third parties like they have with Thunderbolt. Why can't any battery cases (except the ones Apple makes themselves) have a Lightning port for charging instead of micro USB?

21. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

I had this idea months ago. Many of my ideas over the years have become successful products, but I don't know anything about tooling or Chinese supply chains. However I do know a thing or two about visual design, user experience design and marketing. Sometimes I wish I was an industrial designer. Everything I design is intangible. Websites, apps, branding, etc. Even print pieces and photography are fairly two-dimensional and can't really be "grabbed on to."

I built a large workbench from scratch and just finished it last night. It's decent for a first attempt at building something large out of wood. Now I can teach myself to make more complex things from wood, and hopefully someday I can afford a CNC machine and 3D printer. Although 3D printer prices have really come down. Then there's the fact that I'm only halfway decent with piecing together electronics. I'm just frustrated that I've squandered all these ideas over the years because I don't know how to pull them out of my head and make them happen. I wish I had a business partner or something who was good at this sort of thing who could help me out.

22. GeneralChang macrumors 65816

Yeah... at first I was like "hey, this might be a funny video?"

No. No it is not.

23. H2SO4 macrumors 601

Can I just ask where you got that info from please?

24. ForkHandles macrumors regular

ForkHandles

Am I the only one who thinks that people who want an audio jack should buy an iPhone with an audio jack?

They can then leave the iPhone 7 for people who don't use an audio jack on their iPhone.

I understand that people are annoyed at the lack of this port but, honestly, you don't have to upgrade!