'Fuze' Case for iPhone 7 Aims to Bring Back the 3.5mm Headphone Jack

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 29, 2016.

1. GeneralChang macrumors 65816

Either you meant "hand" or you're about to receive a high-five with your face, which is suddenly something I want to see a person do. I'll bet there's a youtube video...

2. B4U macrumors 68020

B4U

I blame it on the dictation typing...

3. kopitedavo macrumors newbie

kopitedavo

maybe people want to upgrade.

4. AppleMark macrumors 6502a

AppleMark

Still using my Klipsch in-ear's with the adaptor, as Apple's ear buds have never fit my ears without falling out and are not good enough for me sound wise. I also see adapters everywhere and on the train etc. So either this is not the case, or otherwise I am starting to think for some people, the adaptor is the new way of letting other people know you have a 'new' iPhone 7... :)

5. Mrjoedot macrumors regular

not sure how long this sort of phone case will last though as this jack is about to become obsolete like those floppy disk and cd/dvd drive. well dvd isn't yet but we don't really use it anymore

6. bingeciren macrumors 6502a

bingeciren

Wheel has been around for thousands of years. It is an old (ancient) technology and it should become obsolete.

7. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

Loved the video. It's very English humor, something that often seems to go over the heads of many Americans. I was on the fence, but nope I signed up for a case when I saw the video

8. Piggie macrumors G3

Piggie

Something I've been wondering.
    At the moment Apple only put the Lightning port (tacky name) in the iPhone, iPad and, iPodTouch I presume?

So, ok, you go and buy brand new, perhaps high end headphone to use from now on.

Then you buy a MacBook, or iMac and wish to plug them in.

So as Apple has established that people should now be buying Lightning headphones, will they fro now on start to fit lightning ports on the rest of their range of machines so you can use them?

Or are you supposed to have 1 set for your iPad/iPhone and another set for your Macbook ?

9. Mac 128, Oct 2, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2016

Mac 128 macrumors 603

Mac 128

Apple totally botched the transition from the 3.5mm adapter because of this (in part).

But, you're looking at it the wrong way. It's become clear to me, that despite the confusing signal of including a set of wired Lightning EarPods in the box, that Apple intends for you to buy a Bluetooth set of headphones if you want to use them with anything besides the iPhone 7. The Lightning EarPods are just a starter set for use with the iPhone 7 only.

I feel sorry for companies like Audeze which have jumped on the Lightning bandwagon, because Apple isn't apparently going to do much to support them. Audeze has a detachable cable, so to use them on the MacBook, you'll need to swap out to the 3.5mm analogue cable (or a USB-C cable in the future), but that's nowhere near as convenient as slapping on a simple adapter. So far I haven't seen anything on the horizon which will allow Lightning to adapt to USB-C or anything else. Maybe Apple will introduce a Lightning to USB-C adapter, or maybe they will introduce a Lightning port on the Mac. But that won't help anybody using anything outside of the Apple ecosystem.

So unless Apple allows a MFi license to adapt Lightning headphones to anything else, then they're basically discouraging Lightning headphones, and pushing BT for cross platform compatibility. It's early yet, and we're still a month away from Apple shipping its own AirPods (yet another mistake they weren't ready two weeks ago), so anything is possible. When the new MBPs are announced, I expect to see at a minimum Apple offering a USB-C to Lightning headphone adapter (which would suggest compatibility with Lightning accessories too which Apple may or may not want). From there adapters can be found to convert USB-C to almost anything. 3.5mm adapters will need help from Apple to be successful, because as it stands, they have to be powered in order to convert analogue to digital, just to get the signal into the headphones, only to be converted back to analogue again. Can you imagine having to charge an adapter regularly to use your wired headphones that themselves don't require power?

It's too bad Apple is so secretive ahead of the time as I'm sure manufacturers are only now trying to figure out how best to approach the adapters many people are going to require to use Apples new tech with their old equipment.

10. GuyFromFuzeAd macrumors newbie

GuyFromFuzeAd

Don't tell me I actually pulled off that accent?!

11. weckart macrumors 601

Mine didn't because Apple supplies phones with a detachable USB charge cable, which does not contravene the EU standard, which is that manufacturers should not supply fixed cable chargers, which are incompatible with microUSB. Same problem would occur with USB 3.1, which some phones use. As long as the charge cable is detachable and has a standard USB-B type connector at the adapter end, then the adapter is usable with any phone, thus complying with EU regulations.

12. dhartung02 macrumors 6502

did anyone get one of these? Looks like they are actually shipping out and the final product (while only available in one color) looks like one of the best designed battery cases i have seen. I love the no chin design and the fact that it has a lip on the front while maintaining a thin overall profile. I am seriously considering one.

13. Mac 128 macrumors 603

Mac 128

Nice. I wish it was a little more detailed about how it works, I.e. How does it attach to the iPhone -- does it slip on like a shoe, or is it in pieces? Also, it doesn't appear to be MFi certified. There's also some disparaging stuff in the copy that I think Apple would object to if it were.

14. dhartung02 macrumors 6502

Yeah - i dont know about that. There are a few videos showing it. What has me interested is that it's also one of the only cases i have found that uses a lighting port to charge and maintains data and music pass through. Carplay may work!?

This version they are selling now is not MFi certified. They are releasing a v2 that will be MFi certified but with that certification comes the disappointing bottom chin. Just looking at the videos i am guessing two pieces. Slide the iphone in, than seal it with a frame around the whole thing. That is just a speculation though.

15. Mac 128 macrumors 603

Mac 128

Right. Apple's not going to approve anything that improves their own design.

Are there any MFi battery cases with a full data pass through Lightning port, aside from Apple's? Until the Belkin splitter/adapter I didn't think Apple licensed the female Lightning connector at all.

This is the same reason I expect there won't be an L-shaped Lightning charging cable with a passthrough so that the Belkin adapter isn't required. I really hope a Chinese knock-off company offers one of those soon without any compatibility issues.

16. Reno Raines macrumors 65816

I just got mine today. So far so good. Kinda feels like a Mophie case except how you put the case on. The 3.5mm jack at first did not seem to work. I had to reseat the phone then it did. Have not tried the battery recharging function but will soon.

17. GuyFromFuzeAd macrumors newbie

GuyFromFuzeAd

That's so great to hear! It's so much more fun to be the spokesperson for a product that people actually like instead of something they hate.

Glad you like the case, Reno.

18. Reno Raines macrumors 65816

Well I may have to change my opinion of this product. After one day of use the 3.5mm jack stopped working. When you hit the part of the case where the power button is,instead of turning the screen on or off,it shows it is turning up the ringer. Also the volume buttons are laggy or sometimes do not even work. This is disappointing as I have high hopes for this case. I sent Fuze an email and hope maybe this is just a defective unit and I can get a replacement or this was a waste of $69. I know this was a kickstarter type funded venture but I expected better quality. I shall see how Fuze responds. I will update when I hear something.

19. Reno Raines macrumors 65816

The case started working all of a sudden a couple of days later. Not sure if there is a loose connection. I did email the company twice which is the only way to contact them and never got a response which is a bummer. When the case works it is great. When it does not work it is just a case. I still have high hopes for it and the company as it is a great idea. I just wish after spending $69 on a case that has not worked consistently the company would at least be responsive to an exchange which is all I wanted not a refund.