'Fuze' Case for iPhone 7 Aims to Bring Back the 3.5mm Headphone Jack

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Mac 128 macrumors 603

Mac 128

I don't understand this case, it doesnt have a bottom chin, but there's not nearly enough room for the headphone jack placed on the case as shown in the video. I thought this would be behind the phone, but this is right up near the edge of the front.

Have you tried plugging the Lightning EarPods into anything without a Lightning port? Since there's no way to do that, I'd assume you only use your headphones with the iPhone and nothing else, ever -- because that would be a problem.

The square card reader works with the included adapter.

Obviously to the extent they did not license it, they are now with the forthcoming Belkin splitter/adapter. Although te decision may have been the manufacturers as my understanding is that each Lightning connector was an additional cost. Going micro-USB in most cases would have been cheaper and used a fairly common standard.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 29, 2016 ---
    I don't disagree. With the exception of the 7 Plus for the camera, I don't really see any compelling reason to buy more than the 6s, however good-looking the new black colors are. Functionally the 6s is a great option. The problem will come next Fall when iPhones with headphone jacks will only be available at the entry level. So right now it's a no-brained. Next year, it's a problem.

2. naeS1Sean macrumors 6502a

naeS1Sean

Is it really that horrible to not have a headphone jack???

3. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

That video was flat-out rotten! I don't care what they're selling, after watching that video, I wouldn't buy from them even if you paid me to do so!

4. BruceEBonus macrumors 65816

BruceEBonus

You couldn't make it up. Oh wait.
    Hang on - they just did!
    How about a screen reducer to make the massive display smaller?.
    A white case to cover the black finish?
    A huge battery to account for the one supplied?
    You see - there's a solution for everything if you try hard enough.

Now. Pass me the shoulder straps to affix to the stereo speaker orifices and ...

Voila! I have now solved the portability issue of the 7 Plus.

Come on Samsung. You'll have to up your game if you expect to compete with these cracking new 'innovations'. Get in! :cool:

5. LotusLord macrumors 6502a

LotusLord

The Capital of the Land of Cheese and Beer
    They should have gone ahead and thrown in Qi charging as well. It's not a bad idea, but I wouldn't back it. There are quite a few case manufacturers out there with experience that I suspect will do something like this down the line. I'm also not really in the market for a few months so we'll see what happens.

6. zorinlynx macrumors 603

zorinlynx

I work on a college campus. I haven't seen too many iPhone 7/7+ in the wild yet, but the few I've seen were being used with the lightning earpods.

Myself I've been using a four year old Swage bluetooth headset, but mostly to watch videos and listen to podcasts since the sound quality is not great for music. I want to try out the AirPods when they come out, and if they aren't good enough, will probably pick up the Bose QC35.

7. JosephAW macrumors 68020

JosephAW

Their promotional video just killed their startup. Can't take it serious.

8. 2457282 Suspended

No, I never wear the earpods other than when I am on the phone. Very rarely to listen to music. Normally I use actual speakers to hear music. I am a bit of a old fart, so when commuting on the bus/train, i don't wear them so that I can be present to my surroundings and people (not that many are able to engage me since they are plugged into their iphones - today for example I was on the bus and there were eight people around me in tight quarters, seven with iphones and one samsung. Of the eight 6 were jacked in with something in their ears. I stared out the window and enjoyed people watching).

And to your point about square - good point, I did not think that it would work with the adapter, but good to hear it does.

9. Nicksd84 macrumors 6502a

If you have a battery case why do you need to charge and listen at the same time?

10. Fall Under Cerulean Kites macrumors 6502

Fall Under Cerulean Kites

From my own anecdotal observations. I was in NYC over the weekend, and the vase majority of those walking around with headphones of some sort were using white earbuds which looked suspiciously like the included Apple earbuds.

Are you refuting this observation, or just being snarky?

11. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

For pete's sake, get some Bluetooth headphones.

12. Fall Under Cerulean Kites macrumors 6502

Fall Under Cerulean Kites

I have no problem with Apple removing the headphone jack, but THIS is the problem with lightning headphones. You cannot use them anywhere else. Which means, I would never purchase a set of lightning earpbuds, headphones, etc. You cannot even use them on a Mac.

Again, I’m fine with the removal. I’ll just use the included adapter which if 100% fine. But it would have at least been nice to have cross-platform compatibility. Say, ditching lightning for USB-C, and making USB-C headphones. Works on the MacBook, and presumably upcoming hardware as well.

Edit: I forgot about Apple’s cross-platform solution. AirPods. Works on every current piece of hardware they sell. There goes another $149!

13. Jozone macrumors 6502

Maybe its too early for me, but what did you fix?

14. Porco macrumors 68040

Porco

Pay attention to the text as the guy crosses it, and compare. His Grandma would be appalled!

Well at some point people will have to upgrade, if they want a fully functional iPhone that gets software updates. There may not be an iPhone that has an integrated headphone socket at that point. Not sure of the relevance of your point in relation to an external, entirely optional case...?

I guess my answer to your point would be that I don't think people generally buy a smartphone for purely one feature (or lack of it) - it's a balance of different features, usually including some that one would like to be slightly different, some that suit perfectly, then you make the compromise, based on what you find most important.

But again, this product, or others like it, will address some things some people care about, and others do not. The people who care enough about the issues it addresses will pay for it and not mind the extra bulk. Those who don't, won't. So I think this product, or others like it, could be a good option for people who don't want to deal with a dangly-dongle decision day. :D

15. AngerDanger macrumors 601

AngerDanger

The text disappearing behind his head.

16. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

The 3.5 Jack is gone from the iPhone. It's how it is now. If third party manufacturers want to make a work around and customers are willing to pay a premium, then great. But the overall built in convenience of the jack is gone. There is no bringing the jack back though, no matter what solutions third party companies develop.

17. GabrielMoro macrumors member

GabrielMoro

Keep applying yourself, train and you'll be able to do whatever you put your mind into. :)

18. B4U macrumors 68020

B4U

The sad part is Apple didn't even try to make a better one like this than the ugly baby bump battery case!

19. Soni Sanjay macrumors 6502

Soni Sanjay

20. AntoineLec macrumors member

Don't hold your breast until it is delivered. Just a friendly advice..

21. B4U macrumors 68020

B4U

I think you mean breath...?:D

22. Mac 128 macrumors 603

Mac 128

Well to be fair, even though the Square card reader, and likely any other headphone jack device that was previously compatible with the iPhone, will still work, it won't be as convenient as it was before. The included wired adapter means, you'll have to awkwardly hold the iPhone, while holding the card reader itself, as you slide the card. It will be a little harder to manage the transaction that way. A nice stiff Lightning adapter is what's needed so you can use the Square card reader just the way you used to.

I don't agree with you about going USB-C (can you imagine if people had to replace their headphones, or use an adapter, AND replace all of their Lightning cables and accessories, and buy more adapters?), but totally agree it's ridiculous to sell the iPhone 7 with a pair of Lightning EarPods and not have an adapter available to use them on anything else. They might as well have included a pair of old 3.5mm EarPods along with the adapter and saved themselves the money.

In short, they've done nothing to encourage the use of the Lightning EarPods or headphones, and everything to promote the continued use of 3.5mm headphones. Totally botched it.

23. BrentD macrumors 6502

3.5 inch jack? That would look ridiculous!

24. ke-iron macrumors 65816

25. djbuddha macrumors 6502

djbuddha

AGREED 1000000%