Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rincewind42

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2003
Orlando, FL
Originally posted by singletrack
There's some doubt being cast here that IBM would be developing a 750 with Altivec. I'd counter that by restating 'Go look at the Motorola PPC PDF posted earlier'.

IBM sells the 750 into the embedded market as well. If they've not got an answer to Moto's 7447/7457 for the embedded market then they'll lose in that market. You can bet your house they are building a 750VX as an answer to Moto and if it's due in the summer it'll be right up there against the predicted (by Moto - yeah, I know) faster 90nm process G4, both coming in at around the 10W power mark.

I'd be very surprised if IBM can get the 970 down in power to embedded processor power requirements (ie. >10W) and that follows for iBook power requirements as it's a cheap laptop with no fans. The 970 is not an embedded processor and pro laptop requirements are diverging now from the embedded sphere.

But your forgetting that you can always clock down a CPU. Read the 15"/17" PowerBook technotes and you'll see that they both can clock down to 612/765/815 Mhz (from 1/1.25/1.33Ghz) to save battery power, and the savings are excellent because it's a voltage reduction. Remember that IBM had estimated the 970 @ 1.2 Ghz running at 1.1v at 19 watts - half way to embedded and faster than what Motorola had for the embedded market in the same power range (the 1.06Ghz 7455 went as low as 15 watts iirc). So IBM is a process shrink away from the possibility of being more power efficient than the 7455 (although possibly not as efficient as the 7457). And if the rumor about IBM jumping directly to 60 nm instead of to 90 nm first, then they have the market, period (although I doubt this rumor is true).

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Originally posted by Phinius
Motorola's G4 started out at 400 Mhz in August of 1999 and its now at 1.3 GHz. That's a frequency increase of about 333% in four years. Contrast that with the G3 which is stuck at 900Mhz and IBM has recently announced a next version that will top out at 1.1 GHz. The G4 is obviously scaling much better than the G3.

I would have to agree with this statement. If you look at chip design including the longer pipelines of the G4 you can see the reason it is easier to scale. The new .13 process that Moto is using will help to reach that goal. If the .18 7455 reached 1.42Ghz in a desktop, the .13 7457 will go much higher. It might be a little warm to cool it at 2Ghz in a laptop, but something like an eMac would be fine. I don't think without a complete redesign IBM is going to see 2Ghz with the G3.

lord_flash

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2003
Brighton, England
Originally posted by kristianm
I am quite sure that it is still a great time to buy powerbooks. The new 15" looks great. You will never know what is 4 years down the lane in computing. Laptops barely last 4 years these days anyway.

I want to hear more of this sort of thing - I'm thinking of going shopping this weekend (always assuming they've made it to the Tottenham Court Road by now).

I mean, nuts to it, the G5 powerbook will be later than spring, won't it? Everyone here is always wildly optimistic in their predictions.

NicoMan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2002
Malmö, Sweden
Originally posted by lord_flash
I want to hear more of this sort of thing - I'm thinking of going shopping this weekend (always assuming they've made it to the Tottenham Court Road by now).

I mean, nuts to it, the G5 powerbook will be later than spring, won't it? Everyone here is always wildly optimistic in their predictions.

I think the most optimistic in those forums are expecting the G5 PBs in Q2 2004 maybe? Even then, you have to be wary of the usual Rev.A syndrome, don't you think?
Nah. I don't think I'll be getting a PBG5 before Q4 2004. The latest PBs will suit me fine at least until then.

FlamDrag

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2003
Western Hemisphere
Kevlar

Nowhere in any article did Kevlar® appear in connection to the Powerbooks. This was simply a thought from one of the users on this board about a possible enclosure material for the still fictional PBG5.

Of course they'll happen, but I think it will be right around November of '04.

Buy a computer when you need a computer. If you don't need it - wait. If you do need it - buy now. There's not really a better computer purchasing strategy than that.

lord_flash

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2003
Brighton, England
Re: Kevlar

Of course they'll happen, but I think it will be right around November of '04.
That's what I want to hear before I go down the shops... :)
Buy a computer when you need a computer. If you don't need it - wait. If you do need it - buy now. There's not really a better computer purchasing strategy than that.

Hmmm... but need is a difficult word, isn't it. My 700MHz Vaio is more than capable of running Photoshop and the like, and Windows 2000 Pro is a very stable OS (whatever you guys say).So I don't need a new machine at all. I want one. Is that good enough?

MadMan

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2003
Re: Re: Kevlar

Originally posted by lord_flash
That's what I want to hear before I go down the shops... :)

Hmmm... but need is a difficult word, isn't it. My 700MHz Vaio is more than capable of running Photoshop and the like, and Windows 2000 Pro is a very stable OS (whatever you guys say).So I don't need a new machine at all. I want one. Is that good enough?

Feed the itch :)

For instance, my TiBook 500 still is running like a charm and is capable of doing most of what I need in a fairly reasonable timeframe. But I wanted one of the new 17's tricked out, so I fed my want ;)

Seriously, it is MUCH faster than my TiBook and I will get more done, be able to use programs and games I can only dream about on the TiBook with it's 8MB video card. (like PhotoShop!)

So, if you can afford to do it, do it

:cool:

MM

lord_flash

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2003
Brighton, England
Re: Re: Re: Kevlar

Originally posted by MadMan
Feed the itch :)

I tried but they had -5 in stock according to the sales lad and his computer.

I think that means the next 5 they get have been bagsied*.

Either that or there is a black hole in the stock room...

*Note for Americans & other aliens: Bagsied means reserved, as in 'bagsie I the front seat' and the like.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.