Galaxy S3 - First Full Official review for those interested, it doesn't look good.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Timzer, May 21, 2012.

1. Timzer, May 21, 2012
    Last edited: May 21, 2012

Timzer macrumors 6502

It doesn't look good for the competitions that is. This is the phone to beat as expected. After reading the review in full, you can only conclude one thing, the depth of this phone's abilities is absolutely staggering. Absolutely speechless.

A few quick quotes:

"In case you were worried about the PenTile matrix that the Galaxy S III employs - well, don't be. You'd need to be looking from such close range that your eyes will hurt before you notice any difference. It's plain to see that the HD PenTile screen of the S III is sharper than the RGB WVGA unit on the Galaxy S II, despite the increased screen size. It's just that at these ppi levels the differences are extremely hard to spot, so PenTile is nothing to be worried about."

"The 4.8" Super AMOLED of HD resolution is where the Samsung I9300 Galaxy S III magic happens. The image quality is every bit as impressive as the specs suggest - tack sharp and with perfectly deep blacks, it's probably the best you can find on the market.
    The colors are nicely saturated by default, but the display settings menu offers a choice between four different modes, so you can opt for more natural colors as well. We did prefer the livelier dynamic and standard modes, but the natural and movie modes will probably have their fans too. What's important here is that the S III display offers a level of flexibility that no other screen on the market can provide.
    Sunlight legibility is splendid too - the HD Super AMOLED isn't the brightest around, but its reflectivity is so low that even outside in the brightest day, you'll still be able to see what's on the screen quite clearly. As a matter of fact, the Galaxy S III managed to top our sunlight legibility charts."

Update: The phone is indeed made of Polycarbonate and not just plain plastic. Thanks to yumunum for the confirmation.

Review Here.

2. nfl46 macrumors 603

The plastic looks so cheap to me. Ugh. Nice phone though.

3. Timzer thread starter macrumors 6502

Another quote from the article:

"However, once we held the device in our hands, we realized that the Samsung I9300 design is actually not too bad. For one, its materials look better in person than they do on photos and the sturdy build helps a lot too. Then there's the impressively slim waistline, which really adds to the general appeal of the device."

4. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

I never have been able to figure out why people post threads about other phones in the iPhone section of macrumors. Most of us read news and tech articles gizmodo Engadget cnet just to name a few. We look to the iPhone section for iPhone articles.Vote me down if I'm wrong but I think most will agree.

5. briantaylor619 macrumors member

Does it run iOS? No? Then it's definitely not the phone to beat.

You got that part right! S3 looks ugly as hell...

6. 0m3ga macrumors 6502

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder... But I don't base my cellphone buying habits around how 'pretty' a phone is. If it does what I want, I will consider buying it.

7. Timzer thread starter macrumors 6502

The one thing I'm finding common from all reviews and first impression articles is that pictures don't do this phone justice. All have found phone very comfortable to hold. I definitely prefer the GN like curves over the more rectangular look of other phones. Cannot wait to dish over my $$$.

8. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Great phone!

Sadly I'm a Mac guy and I rely heavily on the integration between OS X and iOS.

I don't really leverage Google services that much beyond email and Reader. Though competition is what makes everyone improve.

9. Tmelon macrumors 6502a

Same here. I use Android on a tablet and it just doesn't play nicely when all of my information is with iCloud and on iTunes.

As for the Galaxy S III I'm very impressed. Things like S-Voice are a ridiculously obvious rip off of Siri, but other things like the new kinds of gestures and multitasking are bringing Android to a whole new level. I wish they would stop with the plastic though.

10. DanteMann, May 21, 2012
    Last edited: May 21, 2012

DanteMann macrumors 6502

And to think this is only the 3rd iteration of this phone. It's no shock that the Galaxy S line of phones has become such a market leader. I love how you can actually have different settings for the display. That way people who enjoy more natural colors can do so. Brilliant!!
    Whether Apple loyalist want to admit it or not, it's phones like this that will speed up the improvements made to the iphone. Competition drives companies to do better. That's a fact. You can thank all the 4+ inch Android phones out there for your upcoming 4 inch iphone.
    This review has only made me more psyched to pick it up.

11. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

This is what you get when there's 2 years between iPhone re-designs.

12. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

The white version doesn't look too bad from these pictures. Scroll to the bottom.

13. Minhimalism macrumors 65816

Minhimalism

Not bad, I want one of my friends to get one so I can use it! Seems pretty nice, good job on Samsung's part

And to all the blatant haters, shiiiit.. get your act together, competitors are a good thing in the consumer world. Blindly hating a product YOU personally wouldn't buy makes you look like an asshat.

14. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Thats the phone ill be getting when it gets in the USA. The only question will be which color to go with.

15. Timzer thread starter macrumors 6502

I was set on getting the blue with the brushed metallic look, but these pictures of the white look really nice. Not too sure now. :confused:

16. batting1000 macrumors 604

There's still no resisting the fluidity, ease of use, and ecosystem that is iPhone.

----------

Either way, it's still plastic.

17. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

18. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Sure there is...and i hate iTunes.

19. Timzer thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the heads up, as I will be more than happy with my plastic phone. :p

20. batting1000 macrumors 604

Well then. We all have our own opinions.

----------

Sure the S3 is a great device, but the Play Store is abysmal and the OS is unstable. I can honestly say that when I went from the 4S to the Epic 4G Touch, the experience was not what I expected. The total opposite of iOS. I could not wait to get back to iOS, which I did so just last week in fact.

21. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

22. Timzer thread starter macrumors 6502

Me too!

23. KTF macrumors regular

KTF

They Just Want Attention And They Just dont Get It :apple:

24. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch