Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Did the "edge" screen work as a selling point? Seemed odd and a bit of a scratch magnet. I guess we'll see with the S7.
Apparently it did, which Samsung did not expect. They initially produced about twice as many of the "regular" S6 and got stuck with a lot of unsold phones while the Edge was in short supply.

I think the Edge benefitted from the "cool" factor. It looks different from other phones.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Of course it will have a version of 3D Touch—did anyone have any doubt? The first couple versions won't work very well, but Samsung will get a free pass because expectations are extremely low and it's ok for them to copy because they're a Korean company.
I don't mind them copying the general feature of having a pressure-sensitive screens (or rather combining a capacitive with a resistive touchscreen), as they did when adding a fingerprint scanner. What bothers me that at some level of consciousness Samsung will be perceived has having matched the iPhone, even if their implementation sucks both from a hardware level as well as in regard to software support.

ChrisCW11

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
Well if both Apple and Samsung have a patent for the same technology, then the problem is not corporate copying, its the patent office for not doing due diligence to filter out duplicate patents.

In any case Samsung has about as much right to product a pressure sensitive touch screen as Apple because they hold a patent for it.

Reactions: cfedu and rbrian

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
Nerd panties now bunched...

I know they copied it, this one is flagrant, but I feel this is between Apple and Samsung, not nerds that need to get lives. Personally, I read these threads for entertainment purposes... yeah, I need a life too...

Reactions: jedifaka

FasterQuieter

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2008
Samsung already have a better camera than the iPhone. I hope Apple has something special up its sleeve for the iPhone 7.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I don't mind them copying the general feature of having a pressure-sensitive screens (or rather combining a capacitive with a resistive touchscreen), as they did when adding a fingerprint scanner. What bothers me that at some level of consciousness Samsung will be perceived has having matched the iPhone, even if their implementation sucks both from a hardware level as well as in regard to software support.
Agreed. Things get copied all the time, but it irritates me when they try to quickly turn around and copy the new features from the current iPhone and like you said, everyone thinks they're now equal even though it's always worse. Just look at their first Touch ID tries. I mean, phones had finger print scanners before Apple, but they were awful and therefore not popular. Then they put one of those same awful scanners into the Galaxy and suddenly it has the same feature. NOPE.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
The only problem with all the Samsung Copy comments is that Samsung filed a patent back in March 2014 for pressure sensative touch screens:

http://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-patent-pressure-sensitive-touchscreens-354860/
And Apple has pencil/stylus patents going back to 2008 yet people still claim their Pencil is ripping off Samsung and Microsoft. Same thing with the Smart Cover/Keyboard. Apple has lots of patents around this for different things going all the way back to 2011 yet some claim the iPad Pro keyboard is just a Surface rip off.

As far as Samsung goes it's pretty clear where they get their influence from. These Gear S2 emoji very similar to the ones on Watch.

CWLcZ5oUAAEi8pr.jpg

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Thank you Apple users for beta testing for Samsung LOL. Unless retina scanning is done from the front facing camera/etc - then it won't be nearly as convenient as fingerprint unlocking. Plus you can have your phone in an position just about to fingerprint unlock.

In all seriousness though - "force touch" is just another in a long line of things that are natural progressions of touch screens. Everyone copies from everyone. Why this has to be repeated is beyond me.

Reactions: mrgraff

reevans

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2007
Canada

Samsung-Galaxy-S6-Edge-Plus-250x316-250x316.jpg
Samsung's flagship Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 Edge due early next year will feature a pressure-sensitive display that functions similarly to 3D Touch on iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus, according to The Wall Street Journal.

The next-generation Android-based smartphones will reportedly also feature high-speed USB-C ports that provide up to a full day's charge in under 30 minutes, and improved cameras that are optimized for low-light photography.

The report claims the Galaxy S7 will look similar to the Galaxy S6, but the rear-facing camera is said to be flush with the back of the device. The handset may also feature a retina scanner for new biometric features involving a user's eyes.

The Wall Street Journal says the Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 Edge will launch in the U.S. in March, possibly around the time Apple introduces the so-called "iPhone 6c" and next-generation Apple Watch. Samsung is expected to announce the new devices around the Mobile World Congress trade show in Barcelona in late February.

Samsung's Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 Edge would compete with the rumored "iPhone 7," which could ditch the 3.5mm headphone jack in favor of an all-in-one Lightning connector alongside a faster A10 chip, new Intel LTE modem and possibly thinner design. Apple's next flagship smartphones will likely be released next September.

Article Link: Galaxy S7 to Feature Pressure-Sensitive Display Similar to 3D Touch

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
Read the article

IF you know anything about optic you'll know that this would mean a worse picture unless their phone is thicker (not probable unless it is wedge like). So, this seems like some BS "rumor" unless they make their low light WORSE by making their sensor smaller..

As for 3D touch, making it without dev supports is plain idiotic (especially since this will have been something they crapped out in 6 months!!). Undoubtably will work terrible too.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
ok ok they copy so what, at least for android users i think that 3d touch will be custom, so you choose what the 3d touch will do for you. Just a guess

captain cadet

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2012
The problem with this feature and Android you need a standard as such so applying similar pressure on one screen is the same on the other.
Also are developers likely to run to this feature on one device? how many apps use share screen?...
Problem with android is there is no one standard with these features and developers may end up using several libraries to get a feature to work together on one device...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.