Galaxy S8 Retail Price to Significantly Undercut Premium 'iPhone 8'

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 20, 2017.

1. itguy06 macrumors 6502a

Swipe from the left in iOS to go back. Simple and as easy as a back button.

2. falainber macrumors 6502

falainber

There are very few consumers in this world that are not sensitive to price when the price goes up to 1000. In fact, the sensitivity threshold is much lower.

3. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

So no 'Hey Google' on Samsung devices?
    Or are there two assistants always actively listening depending on which one you want to use ?

4. falainber macrumors 6502

falainber

Those security concerns are probably overblown. Trump has been using Android phone for years and has not been hacked (and I am sure there were plenty of people who would be interested in hacking him even before he became a president).

5. cardfan macrumors 65816

It'd be different if it actually only ran android as google intended. But it's samsung bloatware over android with limited android features. In the PC space, this is tolerable as you can easily reinstall windows and go on with life in some cases. Most noob/non techie users like cheap though and don't know any better.

6. falainber macrumors 6502

falainber

That reminds me the time when gasoline prices started creeping up to $4 level an most people on social media (and elsewhere) were claiming - nothing will make them give up their SUVs. Then they started buying Priuses (until the gasoline price dropped again).

7. symphara macrumors 6502a

It works only in a few apps. And consistency is key when it comes to UI navigation. The Android back button works not only in every single app, but it can be used to jump back between apps. Plus, even if Apple and their entire developer ecosystem would perform a miracle and make this back swipe universally functional, it would still be more clunky than simply tapping something that's under your thumb.

No comparison really. Like pretty much in every single regard, Android is just much more functional and customisable.

8. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Google assistant will be available on S8 yes

9. admob71 Suspended

admob71

As long as swipe left doesn't actually interact with the app, i.e. in the gallery app swipe left does something completely different than back. So yes, it is clunky , there is no fixed back button consistent across the board.

10. travelsheep macrumors regular

travelsheep

I'm waiting for the $ 2000 iPhone. Can't be long.

11. Karma*Police macrumors 68000

Interesting color choices. I wonder how they came up with that lineup.

12. ackmondual macrumors 6502a

ackmondual

$860+ Samsung phone!?
    $1000+ iPhone?

I don't want either of these phones if they cost more than $300!

13. neutralguy macrumors 6502

True. Who needs a computer nowadays.. no.. seriously.. who does. iPhone 8 edition can do everything a computer can do!

14. itsamacthing macrumors 6502a

Why not? I have both an iPhone and an Android device... enjoy both experiences for different reasons.

15. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

I'm sorry, but this post is a theory based on assumptions which IMO are wrong.

16. itguy06 macrumors 6502a

I've been on iOS for a long time and it works in 99% of apps. Not enough to get worked up about. I've used both and neither is better than the other. They are just different.

There is plenty to like about Android - the back button is near the bottom of the list. It's all what your muscle memory knows. A soft back button is such a bad idea that most Android apps are also implementing it. :rolleyes:

17. sorcery macrumors regular

sorcery

$500-1000 for a telephone!
    People pay that for a status symbol or a fashion accessory, not a 'phone.
    I refuse to be involved, my IQ has been slipping enough lately.

18. Paul Dawkins Suspended

Paul Dawkins

Please don't use the word theory.

19. grkm3 macrumors 6502a

can someonetell me how to get a gs7 for 400 or 450 like a bunch of people keep saying how the galaxies will drop a few months after release?

I went to Verizon today and the gs7 was 669 and they said they just dropped it 100 and also have the same deal on an iPhone 7

where are all these cheap gs7s?

20. JackieInCo macrumors 601

I'm waiting for the Note 8. I'm using my S7 Edge and a 6S and 6S+ for now.

21. anirdb55 macrumors newbie

anirdb55

A phone shouldn't cost a 1000 dollars, period. The lack of a serious competitor for Apple is costing the industry badly.

22. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Expand? You do know there are more definitions for theory than scientific theories right?

23. EightyTwenty macrumors 6502

90% of what is fueling the smartphone market is sexual selection pressures and the desire to display status.

It's probably #2, only behind clothing in that regard.

I'd like to see demographic data for the high-end segment. I'd guess the vast majority of buyers are in their 20s and early 30s.

24. sorcery macrumors regular

sorcery

Right. Not too much sexual selection pressure in my demographic. (60+)

25. EightyTwenty macrumors 6502

The cartoonish prices people are willing to pay are helping drive mobile technology forward, so it's a good thing.

No way in hell I'm paying anywhere north of $500 for a phone, unless there's an app that can increase the size of my sausage.