Galaxy S8 Retail Price to Significantly Undercut Premium 'iPhone 8'

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 20, 2017.

1. satchmo macrumors 65816

I don't profess to have the answer for an ideal design. But what I'm suggesting is that it's more than a matter of white or black bezels. That's the problem with many 'designers' today where they are focused on eliminating things for the sake of being 'sexy'. Consider function first.

How does the phone feel in the hand? Would a harder edge prevent slippage?
    Are the curved edges part of the screen usable? If bezel-less, how does it handle accidental touch? Will finding the virtual home button be easy to access?
    And software can only do so much. In some cases, physical buttons will make for a better user experience.

2. nt5672 macrumors 6502a

I hope this crushes the market. It is the only way to get Apple to listen and actually do things we want. More competition. More competition.

3. andy42 macrumors member

andy42

That why we have another huge industry around all the big phone companies...case industry...!
    I bought for my S7 extra a case cuz I couldn't handle the phone without. The phone is not just made from glas but also all the round edges makes it really hard to handle it without dropping especially if your hands are a little bit wet. It was super crazy on the beginning and after one week I decided to use a case. The last iPhone which was kind of easy to handle without accidently dropping it, is 5-series incl. SE. I hope Apple is not going to change too much with the new version of SE.

4. itguy06 Suspended

That's pretty ignorant.
    I've used both, iOS on a 6+ and just picked up a ZTE Axon 7 with Android 7.1.1. There are numerous things that Android 7 (or this phone) get right that Apple could learn from. Like the "smart lock" where when it's connected to my car's BT the phone will remain unlocked - no fingerpint, no PIN, etc. Leave the car and it immediately locks. There are a few other neat things that Android 7 gets that iOS fails on. For a $400 phone this thing is sweet and is build VERY well. Apple could learn a few things!

5. Essaux macrumors member

Yes 9 out of 10 rather have a cheap product than a product with a superior iOS but which is much more expensive to buy.

Also, simply more people can afford android than iOS. Volumes sold doesn't mean it's OS is better.

6. Col4bin macrumors 65816

Col4bin

Not a fan of Samsung phones or their crappy TouchWhiz interface, but IMO they have the right idea with attempting to maintain a sweet spot in their pricing structure for these devices. Though it seems Apple might position the iPhone 8 as a high-end luxury model, the $1k price tag is laughable to me. (TC and company did this with the premium Apple Watches, so nothing would surprise me at this point.) Regardless, even at that high of a price, the iPhone 8 will most likely sellout in year 1 due to the rumored constrained supply. Don't really see much competition catching up to Samsung or Apple in the foreseeable future so both companies will continue to push the envelope with increasing costs as they continue to sell.

7. spinedoc77 macrumors 604

spinedoc77

I think Samsung does need to undercut Apple this year. Last year the ho-hum iPhone 6ss, or I mean the iPhone 7 still sold a ridiculous amount, records amounts again. Just imagine this year with all the pent up desire, and all the hype for the iPhone 8 how well that's going to sell. Couple that with Samsungs issues with the Note 7 and the whole bribery circus, plus with how poor Samsung is at things like updating their phones and it's a good recipe for poor sales. Samsung ain't the only kid on the block with small bezels now, and arguably they have the least desirable approach with their curved screens. But not only that, a lot of these smaller oem's are starting to sell phones just as good for 1/3 of the price. We also have Google coming on strong, that's gotta scare Samsung.

8. v0lume4 macrumors 65816

v0lume4

More people can afford Android than iPhone, yes. That's why Android has the highest market share -- you're right about that. But to call iOS the superior OS I disagree with. I think Android and iOS are two different beasts -- as with Mac and Windows. They both basically do the same things, but it's the finer details that differ. One isn't better than the other -- it's just a matter of taste.

9. Sevanw macrumors 6502a

Sevanw

Or loyal Apple customers could take a stance and stop buying each "new" Apple product. Honestly, Apple diehards seem to just accept what Apple gives each year as a new product, and charge premium prices when the hardware isn't even premium. Perfect example is the upcoming iPhone. The OLED version will be the "premium" version, hence the higher price. So what are all the previous iPhones with LCD considered? Not premium? Not premium compared to all the flagship Galaxy S phones that have always have OLED? Apple marketing team is already at work getting people used to calling the OLED version "premium," and to get you ready for that premium price. Always shocking to me that Apple diehards seem to brag they overpaid Apple for inferior hardware. Smh

10. Tycho24 Suspended

Tycho24

I dunno know about that... if the S8 is a direct progression from the S7, wouldn't its price be compared to the iPhone 7S which will still (presumably) be priced at $650?
    If Apple introduces an Edition model, w/ futuristic AR camera goodies & an embedded home button, I imagine it WILL not be directly comparing with the S8, in which I hear they just put the fingerprint scanner on the back, because they couldn't match Apple's flagship feature this iteration.

11. itguy06 Suspended

Using both Android 6.0, 7.0, and all iOS versions I don't think I'd say iOS is superior any more.

12. MacknTosh macrumors member

13. Defthand macrumors regular

Product obsolescence is occurring at an accelerated pace. I got a lot of mileage out of older hardware. In turn, their cost was a justifiable investment. In fact, they were a bargain considering their utility. Nowadays, Apple cripples their hardware with so-called OS improvements before the hardware exhibits any physical decay. It’s impossible to preserve a pre-existing OS and hardware workstation because of the certificate control that Apple has. It’s forced obsolescence under the guise of “technology evolution”. Funny, I can’t achieve anything revolutionary with today’s OS that I couldn’t with an OS ten years ago.

14. JMacHack macrumors regular

Neat, going to use My iPhone 7 until it dies anyway, which is probably going to be in 5 years. Maybe then I'll care about Samsung.

15. The Game 161 macrumors G4

The Game 161

[QU
    or some would rather not have an OS like IOS. As good as it is for many things it is very restrictive

16. Pamela5 macrumors member

Pamela5

I agree. $1000 for something many people only keep for two years is crazy.

17. The Game 161 macrumors G4

The Game 161

this is the thing samsung didn't lose customers

those who got rid of their note 7 got a S7 instead

18. Pamela5 macrumors member

Pamela5

Exactly. If apple would allow file downloads from safari (no third party app required), include a built in file manager in iOS, and allow the transferring of videos (avi, Mkv, not just MP4) from the pc without iTunes just good old drag and drop I wouldn't miss Android at all.

19. andy42 macrumors member

andy42

Yes. I hope more Apple fanboys start to understand it and are not going to buy all this expensive stuff. Even Google went crazy with Pixel. Their notebooks with Chrome OS starts from 250 Euro and the phone from 759 Euro...this is so mad. I still hope that they will bring something like Nexus 5X for around 400 Euro.

I got my GS7 for 1 Euro with contract and I got it just because I couldn't get Nexus 5X anymore but I hope for a successor and would change from GS7. I never liked Samsung cuz of their TouchWiz and update policy. The phone is OK for next couple of months but just not something for me in long term.

20. v0lume4 macrumors 65816

v0lume4

Google is rumored to be working on a low cost Pixel to go alongside their Pixel 2 phones later this year. Fingers crossed!

21. Pamela5 macrumors member

Pamela5

My only suggestion to you for a good lower priced phone would be a Motorola or Asus phone but those would have to be purchased outright. they might offer financing on their websites however.

22. AlphaGuitarist macrumors regular

Factoring in the 8.875% NYC sales tax, my 64 GB iPhone 6s Plus cost approximately $925, which is already fairly close to $1,000. Granted, I bought the phone when Apple was doing a $300 trade-in promo for those trading in a 6 or a 6 Plus, which happened right around the time my 6 started experiencing the dreaded battery issue, reducing the total price to $625, that's still a substantial amount. I remember when high end flagships topped out at $500. I may just hold on to my current phone a little while longer.

23. itguy06 Suspended

ZTE Axon 7 or Huawei Mate or Honor are also solid Android phones that are affordable.

24. andy42 macrumors member

andy42

All of them might be nice but the have same problem...not stock Android at all. Motorola G-Series is the one of fewers phones on the market with pretty much stock Android but what I hear from experience that their started to delay or cancel the updates.
    I owned 1st gen and it was pretty nice with updates but it looks like it's changed more and more under Lenovo.
    My next phone will be 100% stock Android from Google. I really hope that Google will sell Nexus 5X successor by the end of the year.

25. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

Good grief... with rumoured S8 prices this HIGH and this reports title reading 'SIGNIFICANTLY undercuts the iPhone 8 price', Apple will really be pushing its price gouging to the max, gotta get those profits in at all costs. Seems like the iPhone 8 will START well north of $1000 then!!! Not worth it by a long way..