Galaxy S8 Retail Price to Significantly Undercut Premium 'iPhone 8'

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

2. shadowmatt macrumors member

So the S8 will undercut the 'Premium' iPhone 8?

So it will be the same price as a 'Regular' iPhone 8 then?

3. bushman4 macrumors 68000

If Apple loads the iPhone 8 with a great design etc then $1000 may be worth it

People will pay. As long as the bells whistles toys and design are there

4. edogyip macrumors member

Probably not, unless it sucks a LOT less than Siri. That's not the gold standard of assistants these days.

5. DigitalCK macrumors member

Is it really a leak if they distribute it themselves through a marketing agency/blogger/rando?

6. Olganech macrumors member

You can say the same about ios.

7. symphara macrumors 6502a

symphara

Atrocious spelling aside, you're incorrect. Google Assistant is now available on any Android phone over version 6.0 (i.e. Marshmallow and Nougat).

8. admob71 Suspended

admob71

I don't recall the s7, s6, or s5 having battery issues?

9. Pentium macrumors 6502

Pentium

Apple made the $900+ phone cheap lol

Thanks Apple :D

10. 62tele macrumors 6502a

Chuckling to self at all of the "phone we've been waiting for" and "upping the ante" type posts challenging Apple.
    As if it matters what Samsung does.
    Some Android fans will love it and proclaim it the greatest ever. They weren't going to buy an iPhone anyway.
    Meanwhile Apple will create tons of anticipation from it's extremely large and loyal customer base. The price won't make any difference to them and they won't hesitate to drop a few more hundred to own the latest and greatest from Apple.
    Apple's biggest problem will be any folks who defect because they don't want to wait 8-10 weeks to get one.
    Here's a prediction. Want the latest Galaxy? Step right up. No waiting. Want the iPhone 8? Take a number.
    It's like Seinfeld's Soup Nazi. Be a good little boy or girl and wait your turn patiently. (No soup for you!)

11. v0lume4 macrumors 65816

v0lume4

Sad. And true. Particularly the part I highlighted in bold.

12. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

I recall the S6 having a battery issue of "not lasting a whole work day".

13. 62tele macrumors 6502a

Why is it sad? It's predictable. There are iPhone fans and there are Android fans. Apple has a captive audience in its fans while Samsung must compete with HTC, Motorola, LG and all the rest for a share of the Android market. Phone makers and wireless providers have snookered everyone into hiding the cost of their phones will regular installments. The extra cost of the iPhone is $10-15 per month so no big deal to the customers who want the latest tech or status symbol. Make no mistake the iPhone is iconic in many folks minds. iPhone is used as a generic term for reporters when the talk of mobile devices.

14. symphara macrumors 6502a

symphara

You can replace "cheap" by "much better value".

I used iOS and Android, and I wouldn't dream of having an iOS phone. I think the OS is just horrible.

The iOS notifications are awful. On Android they're superb. No comparison. And notifications are the most important thing on a smartphone.

The thought of swiping to one particular screen, starting the Settings app, selecting WiFi or Bluetooth every time I need to connect to something (which is very often), makes me nauseous. On Android you simply long-press the symbol in the drop-down.

The lack of the back button makes navigation all around clunkier.

The absolute need to use the steaming piece of crap that is iTunes every time I want to transfer music to my phone is enough to say never.

Then the hardware itself is crappy. They have a choice of a 4.7" screen, which is just too small today, or a 5.5" in a huge body. Not mentioning the blast from the past that is the SE.

I wouldn't buy an iPhone for just about any money. If the iPhone 7 would cost the same as the Nexus 5X, I'd get the latter with no regrets. Thankfully, there are a lot of good choices out there.

15. admob71 Suspended

admob71

Strange as the s6 edge plus in my hand right now lasts the working day with ease. Just the ones that you have never personally used or owned have these issues then, cool.

16. ani4ani macrumors 6502

To be fair, would you know you had an Apple update if they didn't keep reminding you? It's not like you get another dozen features each time Apple send out an update. Apples 2-3 year old products get the latest OS yes, but they don't suddenly sprout new hardware to use the "new" features

17. grkm3 macrumors 6502a

then why is it not in my play store on 7.0 gs7?

a quick Google search and on wiki it said Google has begun letting other ones use it.its not allowed on the galaxy s7 yet and is not available in my play store.it says I need root to install a 3rd party hack of it.

18. mayhemburzum macrumors member

I worked a few years for AppleCare and am writing this from my Macbook Pro 13' early 2015, maxed out. My experience with iOS devices is far superior than most people in this forum (non power users / recent buyers) and would need to be nearly brain dead to enjoy using iOS better than Android. At the moment I work at a very nice tech company and most of our developers work with macs. Funny enough, most of them refuse to update to the amazingly ****** Sierra. They also don't use their iPhones for anything else other than social networking and testing our iOS app. Most of them have Android devices.

Btw, I can spend, today, 1k on a Phone and leave the store happy. I will still buy a Xiaomi phone which costs me 300 euro and does everything I need.

19. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

I personally owned and still own a Galaxy S6. -_-

20. symphara macrumors 6502a

symphara

It's not a separate app in the Play Store. Google has a support page on how to check if your phone has the prerequisite updates, and how to enable it: https://support.google.com/assistant/answer/7172657?hl=en

21. rturner2 macrumors 6502

haha... except export times with those graphics cards fail in comparison to nvidia 10 series cards (1060, 1080 etc)

22. newyorkone macrumors 6502

newyorkone

It could cost a $1 and that still wouldn't make me buy one because it runs Android...

http://dai.ly/x54pq6k

23. Substance90 macrumors regular

Crazy times if 800 Euros counts as "undercutting".

24. sk1wbw macrumors 68040

sk1wbw

I know, but the headline said otherwise, indicating it wasn't a rumor.

25. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

Final Cut Pro X exports videos faster with AMD than nVidia cards do under Premiere.