Gamer dies after 50 hrs non-stop play

feakbeak

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2003
Michigan
Gaming in Korea is out of control. A few months back there was an article about a Korean couple who left their baby at home unattended while they went to an internet/gaming cafe and the child died while they were gone. (linky)

There just seems to be some severe addiction issues with gaming in Korea. This is nothing new. Addictions of any sort cause these types of problems - child neglect, loss of employment, poor judgement, etc. Nearly anything can be addictive, at least on a psychological level, so it's not the gaming itself that is the problem, it is simply how it is being abused.

Comment

AstrosFan

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2005
"We presume the cause of death was heart failure stemming from exhaustion," a Taegu provincial police official said by telephone.

Being in the healthcare field, this explanation doesn't really make sense. There has to be more to the story than the way it's being portrayed.
It's hard to read things in press & figure out the true medical facts.
Unfortunately, the unintended side-effect of reporting it like this is that people will begin to think, "I shouldn't play video games too long b/c it might cause me to die."
The cause-and-effect that is being implied in the story is just incorrect.

Comment

feakbeak

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2003
Michigan
AstrosFan said:
"We presume the cause of death was heart failure stemming from exhaustion," a Taegu provincial police official said by telephone.

Being in the healthcare field, this explanation doesn't really make sense. There has to be more to the story than the way it's being portrayed.
It's hard to read things in press & figure out the true medical facts.
Unfortunately, the unintended side-effect of reporting it like this is that people will begin to think, "I shouldn't play video games too long b/c it might cause me to die."
The cause-and-effect that is being implied in the story is just incorrect.
But video games are evil. You didn't know that? ;)

Comment

AstrosFan

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2005
feakbeak said:
But video games are evil. You didn't know that? ;)
Well, if this story gets a few people off their couch and outside doing exercise, I guess that's not bad, right? :D

Comment

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
50hrs WOW he need soemthing else to do, learn java or how to make a game for your mac read a book, photoshop the next ebook, sleep!

Comment

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
That is very sad. Being the way he died, I'm surprised that they haven't performed an autopsy. That would be the only way to know the actual cause of death.

Comment

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
wdlove said:
That is very sad. Being the way he died, I'm surprised that they haven't performed an autopsy. That would be the only way to know the actual cause of death.
I thought that depended on the wishes of next-of-kin?

Comment

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
The medical facts in this story are skimpy at best. There's no doubt more to the story.

Nevertheless, there are plenty of people who work this hard, putting in endless overtime and rarely leaving their computers while trying to finish something they are working on. Students doing school projects on deadline too.

So whatever befell this fellow could happen to nongamers too.

Comment

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
god, i thought it was bad when once or twice a year, i get a bunch of good pot and download a NES emulator or fire up SimCity4 and play for like 10 hours a day for a weekend... but apparently I'm just not trying hard enough.

Comment

NaMo4184

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2005
Its the drugs

It was probably caffeine or redbull or something in that nature that caused him heart failure.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.