Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

feakbeak

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2003
Michigan
Applespider said:
:D 'cept that it's April and the calendar is showing February ;)
I'll bet you any money that picture was taken in February. iGary?

Good catch though, I wouldn't have spotted that.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
daveway00 said:
My teacher brought up a good discussion in class today that also turned into a heated argument.
Are gay men born gay or do some guys choose that life style?

It's funny that the only ones willing to argue it are straight guys who will never admit to having "chosen" to be straight (e.g. they were "not straight" at some point). But there's enough scientific evidence now to close this debate. Genetics are at least a partial cause, the question now is, does nurture play any part at *all*. Personally I'd say yes, in that nurture can make a person attempt to deny their sexuality.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
daveway00 said:

Ask the same quesion of any heterosexual.
Did you consciously choose to be physically attracted to the opposite sex?

In my view and my experience of many gay friends over the years, the question is absurd.

feakbeak

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2003
Michigan
rainman::|:| said:
It's funny that the only ones willing to argue it are straight guys who will never admit to having "chosen" to be straight (e.g. they were "not straight" at some point). But there's enough scientific evidence now to close this debate. Genetics are at least a partial cause, the question now is, does nurture play any part at *all*. Personally I'd say yes, in that nurture can make a person attempt to deny their sexuality.
I think it is mostly genetic. I have three family members who are gay, at least, three that I know about. I doubt that is coincidence. However, life's events, particularly damatic/traumatic events, can sway ones overall feelings towards or against a specific gender. I think this is a much smaller factor and not the reason for most people's sexual preference.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
I vote for genetic too. Trust me, I was raised in a strict fundamentalist family. There's no way I would have EVER chosen to be gay, but I also wouldn't change it for the world now. Tried that as a teenager, didn't work. Not fun.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
I think it's mostly a combination of genetics and hormonal influence under pregnancy.

I also think there is a larger percentage of people than most realise that are bisexual and are in that way able to more or less easily choose not to live out the homosexual part of their sexual orientation.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
gekko513 said:
I think it's mostly a combination of genetics and hormonal influence under pregnancy.

I also think there is a larger percentage of people than most realise that are bisexual and are in that way able to more or less easily choose not to live out the homosexual part of their sexual orientation.

That could be be why they think people have a choice-some people do. But believe me, some of us don't.

feakbeak

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2003
Michigan
leekohler said:
That could be be why they think people have a choice-some people do. But believe me, some of us don't.
I think sexual preference is more of a sliding scale. Some people only have interest in the other gender, some only the same gender, some both... and many times it is somewhere in betweenl. I've heard many people say, "I'm into men and women, but mostly into men." Personally, I can look at a guy and think he's cute and/or attractive. I have a certain "look" in men that I like. Though, it is more of an admiration/beauty thing. The thought of being with a man just doesn't do it for me and I have thought about it. I think most non-homophobic people will admit they have, I would hope. Humans are by nature rather curious. :) However, with women... it's effortless, works like a charm every time!

I think gender identification is also a sliding scale. I am not a "macho" guy and I have no desire to be - sports and cars aren't my thing.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
feakbeak said:
I think sexual preference is more of a sliding scale. Some people only have interest in the other gender, some only the same gender, some both... and many times it is somewhere in betweenl. I've heard many people say, "I'm into men and women, but mostly into men." Personally, I can look at a guy and think he's cute and/or attractive. I have a certain "look" in men that I like. Though, it is more of an admiration/beauty thing. The thought of being with a man just doesn't do it for me and I have thought about it. I think most non-homophobic people will admit they have, I would hope. Humans are by nature rather curious. :) However, with women... it's effortless, works like a charm every time!

I think gender identification is also a sliding scale. I am not a "macho" guy and I have no desire to be - sports and cars aren't my thing.

Funny isn't it? The stereotypes? I like rock music, baseball, track and lift weights and I'm queerer than $2 bill. Oh-and I missed out on the showtunes gene too. :)

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
One thing I notice about most of the bisexual people i know... while they can have sex with both genders, "ready and willing" so to speak, they almost always admit that they can only form emotional bonds with one gender... That's what I think of in terms of sexual orientation, so to me a person has to be more than just slutty to be bi :)

As to people squarely in the middle... i've never really talked to anyone that's "picked" one orientation or the other... but i'd be more than a little curious to hear from them.. surely such a decision must be maddening?

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
rainman::|:| said:
One thing I notice about most of the bisexual people i know... while they can have sex with both genders, "ready and willing" so to speak, they almost always admit that they can only form emotional bonds with one gender... That's what I think of in terms of sexual orientation, so to me a person has to be more than just slutty to be bi :)

As to people squarely in the middle... i've never really talked to anyone that's "picked" one orientation or the other... but i'd be more than a little curious to hear from them.. surely such a decision must be maddening?

I dated a guy like that in college. He called me crying once after we stopped hanging out and was like- "when I see a hot guy and girl walking down the street, I want them both." I didn't know what to tell him. But I think he's doing well now and lives with someone. I don't know if it's guy or a girl. It did make him crazy for a while.

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
leekohler said:
I dated a guy like that in college. He called me crying once after we stopped hanging out and was like- "when I see a hot guy and girl walking down the street, I want them both." I didn't know what to tell him. But I think he's doing well now and lives with someone. I don't know if it's guy or a girl. It did make him crazy for a while.

Okay, sadly I have to admit that I laughed out loud when i read this. :D

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
leekohler said:

Maybe that's the reason I want to reject the idea of romantic bisexuality... because i'm one of those, there's-someone-for-everybody kind of people... One of my bi friends just said "well, it just means there's twice as many people in the pool". But to any bi people out there... When you're with one or the other, and I'm talking romantically and not sexually, don't you feel like you're missing out on some fundamental connection? Can men and women really offer the same thing to the same person? Most bisexual people I know that are "actively" bisexual are serial monogamists, eg go from short term (few years) relationship to the next, switching off men/women. That doesn't sound very fulfilling to me. Neither does missing out to be with one person...

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
buryyourbrideau said:
there are many among us....and so far the ibook attracts way more poontang than the PB its got mad style

mkrishnan said:
Now why doesn't Apple use marketing slogans like that? :D

The new G5 iBook, attract more poontang
No viruses
No pop ups

No pop-ups kind of ruins the whole thing.

ColoJohnBoy

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2003
Denver, Colorado
daveway00 said:
My teacher brought up a good discussion in class today that also turned into a heated argument.

Huh.

Not a "lifestyle", really. Summering on Mallorca and skiing at St. Moritz whilst sipping cocktails, that's a lifestyle. Gay is... Well, at its most basic, having sex with others of the same gender. At its most honest it's forming an emotionally romantic bond with someone of the same gender. Like leekholer, I like a lot of different things not generally associated with "gay"; I like a lot of others that just scream "Mo!" I guess my point is that at a certain point I decided to abandon any attempt to conform to the expectations and characteristics of any particular group. I pursue what I am passionate about, what I enjoy, what feels right for me. I wish I could elaborate but it really is a simple feeling. I was raised in a conservative Mormon family. That never felt right to me. Living my life as I do now, not necessarily as homosexual or agnostic but simply as I see fit, feels right to me. As many have said the choice was either tailor my life to the expectations of a given group or abide by my heart, mind, and conscience. I chose the latter; for the first time in it, I'm content with my life and myself.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
ColoJohnBoy said:
Huh.

Not a "lifestyle", really. Summering on Mallorca and skiing at St. Moritz whilst sipping cocktails, that's a lifestyle.

Thanks for a great laugh, nearly spewed Pepsi all over my screen on that.

The thing is why would anyone "choose" being Gay? Life would so much simpler for us to have chosen to be straight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.