Gen 4 butterfly keyboard (2019) discussion [merged]

MacDonaldTrump

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 28, 2018
Brisbane Australia
I am finding my new model very nice. No repeating keys or missing input yet, only early days for me though.

I haven't seen any reports floating around of problems yet like I saw with the 2018, I saw problems online as soon as the 2018 were released.

Anyone had any issues?
Is it still too early?

applesed

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2012
I can type faster and with less effort on it, and if I shift back to my 2015, I type clumsier/feels squishy. Though I’m not sure that I like yet.

Reactions: MacDonaldTrump

kp98077

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2010
I can type faster and with less effort on it, and if I shift back to my 2015, I type clumsier/feels squishy. Though I’m not sure that I like yet.
yes I totally agree with you, the 2019 simply has more travel. it does seem to me, some 2019 models feel better than others so not sure if there is the possibility to have variability?

Reactions: MacDonaldTrump

Donnation

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2014
I don't notice any difference in the feel of the 2018 vs. 2019, but the trackpad seems different. The 2019 trackpad seems really loud and clanky to me compared to the 2018. I really don't like it at all.

Reactions: macintoshmac

bill-p

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2011
I have played this "game" for 4 years now. No more.

2015 -> 2016 (12"): oh yah, improved keyboard, here I come! Wow, this feels better already! (then keys started getting stuck 6 months later)
2016 -> 2017 (12"): even more improved, clickier! Wow, this must be it! (ended up replacing the keyboard TWICE)
2017 -> 2018 (13" and 15"): firmer click, more even surface! Finally! (then I just replaced the keyboard of the 15" like last week)

So... no more. It will break, guys. Without fail. Unless Apple is using adamantium or vibranium to make the tiny little flimsy switch mechanisms and keys now, I sincerely doubt they will not fail eventually. AppleCare(+) is your friend.

globalmatt

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2016
It took about 5 months for the reports of the 2018 keyboard’s failure. I wouldn’t expect any word on the 2019 MBP for some time
Pretty sure I started seeing reports of 2018 keyboard failures in this forum after about a month. But yeah, I guess it’ll be several months before we’ll know for certain.

Mac repair shops would probably have a good idea by now, I’d have thought?

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
We will see in time, even if it's somewhat improved will be interesting to see. With the keyboard program I still feel okay about it.
I took a chance on the 2018 and was bummed out that failures were starting to roll in. I'm of the mindset that I'd rather spend a lot of money on a laptop with a keyboard with such a divisive and poor reputation. That's just me, I'm not knocking anyone else

Reactions: Gen and StrokeDoc

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2017
All I can say is that it isn't okay.

I have a friend of mine who is a writer for an unnamed TV show and he bought one of the new 15".. He loves the butterfly keyboard and his letter "S"has already got stuck..

We talking about a guy who spends like 10-12 hours writing, so trust me it is not okay, he went to the Apple Store to return it and get a new one actually.

spicy_guy

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2018
Home of Bears and Cubs

I have a friend of mine who is a writer for an unnamed TV show and he bought one of the new 15".. He loves the butterfly keyboard and his letter "S"has already got stuck..

We talking about a guy who spends like 10-12 hours writing, so trust me it is not okay, he went to the Apple Store to return it and get a new one actually.
Any difference between 2018 and 2019 MbPs? Not just keyboard. But overall?
I have 2018. Wondering if I need to switch to 2019, if there is vast improvement over 2018.

LogicalApex

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2015
I have played this "game" for 4 years now. No more.

2015 -> 2016 (12"): oh yah, improved keyboard, here I come! Wow, this feels better already! (then keys started getting stuck 6 months later)
2016 -> 2017 (12"): even more improved, clickier! Wow, this must be it! (ended up replacing the keyboard TWICE)
2017 -> 2018 (13" and 15"): firmer click, more even surface! Finally! (then I just replaced the keyboard of the 15" like last week)

So... no more. It will break, guys. Without fail. Unless Apple is using adamantium or vibranium to make the tiny little flimsy switch mechanisms and keys now, I sincerely doubt they will not fail eventually. AppleCare(+) is your friend.
Why do people keep mentioning needing AppleCare? AppleCare is absolutely not needed for keyboard issues on any of the models from 2016-2019. They all have 4 years of free keyboard warranty.

AppleCare may be useful for other reasons, but the keyboard concerns alone does not warrant buying AppleCare.

globalmatt

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2016

Let the fun begin!

Hazmat401

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2017
Delaware County, Pa
I just came from Best Buy about a hour and a half ago. This is honestly my first time exposed to the newer MacBooks outside of macrumors and YouTube

The keyboard in the MBP 15 is garbage... it was unusable. The MBP 13 is marginally better

This is just me here but a $500 off the shelf Dell Inspiron has better keyboard ergonomics... I don’t know what Ives or whatever the apple engineers were thinking... but until Apple go back to better keyboard feeling like the 2013-2015 Macs... I won’t be buying a MacBook Pro and I so really wanted to

Now I have to decide between the Dell XPS 15 7590 that’s dropping on Monday or the Lenovo Carbon

Reactions: uecker87

bill-p

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2011
Why do people keep mentioning needing AppleCare? AppleCare is absolutely not needed for keyboard issues on any of the models from 2016-2019. They all have 4 years of free keyboard warranty.

AppleCare may be useful for other reasons, but the keyboard concerns alone does not warrant buying AppleCare.
Because aside from the keyboard, you may run into some other issues as well.

Here's the repair bill of my 2017 12" MacBook.

The screen was rubbing against the keyboard and trackpad, and I could clearly see the shape of the keyboard and trackpad imprinted on the screen after 2 years.

But you are welcome to take your chances.

applesed

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2012
I just came from Best Buy about a hour and a half ago. This is honestly my first time exposed to the newer MacBooks outside of macrumors and YouTube

The keyboard in the MBP 15 is garbage... it was unusable. The MBP 13 is marginally better
I’ve noticed that if I use my 2015 mbp for a while and then use a 2019 mbp, it feels strange, I miss the travel, and I feel like I’m abusing my fingers. But if I only use the 2019 mbp for several hours or several days, my fingers learn to adapt, moving more lightly, fluidly and indeed I type faster. Along with the responsive trackpad as a complete package, I see where they were trying to go with this, and overall a “refined”, powerful machine.

But so I can imagine the frustration for people that switch from clamshell to open laptop, or older model to newer, back and forth, it always feels non-standard and annoying.

twanj

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2015
Pompano Beach, FL

Sorry, no trust. AppleCare has saved me too many times in the past.

4 year keyboard warranty is ridiculous. This isn't some part of the system that needs to be complex. This was a solved issue. You touch these buttons & characters reliably appear on the screen.

Reactions: pdxsellers

LogicalApex

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2015
Because aside from the keyboard, you may run into some other issues as well.
Sure, but in the post I quoted you made zero mention of other issues beyond the keyboard. But, as I stated in my reply, Apple Care+ may be useful for OTHER (i.e. non-keyboard) reasons.

Sorry, no trust. AppleCare has saved me too many times in the past.

4 year keyboard warranty is ridiculous. This isn't some part of the system that needs to be complex. This was a solved issue. You touch these buttons & characters reliably appear on the screen.
Sure, AppleCare can be useful my point wasn't that Apple Care+ has zero usefulness overall. It will cover you spilling coffee on your Mac (+) or the Logic Board failing 2.5 years after you purchased it. For many users it is a no brainer and for others it is a useless add-on. But, you don't need Apple Care for the keyboard at all. As the KB warranty is longer than Apple Care+. You should consider buying Apple Care+ the same way you would if no KB problem existed (i.e. do you desire a longer warranty and/or accidental damage protection).

Reactions: afir93 and Howard2k

Demis013

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2018
It took about 5 months for the reports of the 2018 keyboard’s failure. I wouldn’t expect any word on the 2019 MBP for some time
My girlfriend's 2018 Macbook Air had issues within 2 days; my Macbook Pro 2018 within 2 weeks. So the fact that there haven't been any reports yet to me is an improvement already...

Reactions: alksion and Gen