Get an Apple Watch Sport THIS APRIL!

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by andrewpturko, Apr 24, 2015.

1. andrewpturko, Apr 24, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2015

andrewpturko macrumors regular

andrewpturko

TL;DR FOR THE LAZY:
    Order an Apple Watch Sport 42mm w/ Blue Band if you're a "developer", paid subscription or not. You'll probably get it shipped by the 28th.

If you can't wait any longer, I recently spoke to Apple Developer Executive Relations and they gave me more exciting news. I know - hilarious, this seems to be a trend lately.

If you're a registered developer, you can order a 42mm Silver Aluminum Case with Blue Sport Band before April 27th, 5:00 PM local time and the watch will ship on or before April 28th.

The interesting bit that most don't know - A paid membership is not required. So if you have ever been involved in the developer program and are able to sign in with your Apple ID at the developer Member Center, the offer applies to you.

He also told me that this is why some of the blue sport orders are shipping early, despite the fact they were ordered so recently. It's actually because they were ordered recently. When someone orders this model from now until the 27th, the Apple Online Store checks to see if the Apple ID the order is under is associated with a Developer ID.

So these expedited shipping reports are "coming from people who are unaware that the free developer program they enrolled in provides them access", the executive told me. He also said the June shipping date for this model doesn't apply to those this offer applies to, despite it still listing "June" as the delivery estimate on the completed order.

He further explained that the registration for the expedited order simply signed the developer up on the email list. This "winning" notification email was sent out to everyone who had registered.

He went on to say that, currently, registration IS NOT REQUIRED to receive expedited shipping. They cut off registration to avoid disappointment if they couldn't meet demand, but they are still effectively meeting demand for this offer. Haha, lottery. :rolleyes:

I just placed my order this morning, am not a paid developer, but am enrolled in the developer program. My watch is now preparing for shipment.

Chime in for further validation!

Are you a subscription-less developer that's ordered a blue sport and received next day turnaround shipping?

2. iWot macrumors member

I'm able to login to the developer member center with an apple ID I just created, so I'm not sure that this is a good way to tell if one is eligible.

3. Surfer13134 macrumors 6502a

4. andrewpturko thread starter macrumors regular

andrewpturko

Good point, I believe once you log into the developer portal you're considered an [unpaid] member. Nonetheless, that wouldn't be the best way to validate, so I've updated my post.

5. kinster macrumors 6502a

kinster

6. iWot macrumors member

Not exactly - the implication of his post is that the reason some blue bands are shipping now is because those people are registered as developers (even though they didn't use a special link). This would explain why my blue band is not shipping even though I ordered yesterday before a few others did.

7. fanboi4lyfe macrumors regular

fanboi4lyfe

Where is the link to sign up? I'm in the member center but no link to sign up for the watch....

8. andrewpturko thread starter macrumors regular

andrewpturko

Yep.

9. noobinator macrumors 601

Testing this now. Will report back. Order placed at 1:00 PM Pacific Time. Currently have an active developer account.

10. LxTxNx macrumors 6502

LxTxNx

11. Vegasryn macrumors 6502

Paid dev. Ordered yesterday at 1230 PT and still processing

12. andrewpturko thread starter macrumors regular

andrewpturko

As I said, they cut off registration. But, if your ID is associated with a dev account, you're likely applicable according to the executive. The registration just gave you a guaranteed notification.

There's no special link. You order like normal from your Apple ID associated with your dev account.

13. kinster macrumors 6502a

kinster

oh okay, maybe news to you then.

14. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

Apple made so many of these that several MR members have ordered without the developer account and received shipping info the next day. True, it's not next day guaranteed though.

15. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

Yeah, it sounds like a mixture of the news that some devs got sent select invites to get the watch "earlier". I could see it being possible if they said all paid devs qualify which I am also but I can't see them doing this for non-paying devs as well. Hopefully we can get some people to confirm with their orders.

16. andrewpturko thread starter macrumors regular

andrewpturko

My point is they most likely had a dev account because they've signed up into the portal before, making them eligible.

17. IllmasterMath macrumors regular

I ordered one last night at 8PM EST. Just got the shipping notification and it'll be here tomorrow. I'd actually forgotten I was a registered developer...

I wonder if that's actually the reason it shipped so quickly.

18. andrewpturko thread starter macrumors regular

andrewpturko

I'm hoping for more people to chime in too, genuinely curious. I would trust the executive team member alone, but it's better with actual confirmations.

19. fanboi4lyfe macrumors regular

fanboi4lyfe

Okay, must've read it so fast i skipped that part!

20. iWot macrumors member

I ordered 4pm yesterday - no charge, no movement and not a developer.

Who knows

21. andrewpturko thread starter macrumors regular

andrewpturko

Have you ever logged into the member center with the ID you ordered from before placing?

22. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

I don't think it's valid. In the 38mm thread someone ordered a sport with white band last night and just got charged and shipping notification.

It reads as if they have 38mm (at least in sport edition) more readily available than the 42mm.

23. cforster macrumors 6502

I am a dev and ordered yesterday and mine charged and went to prep for shipping in less than 24 hours....

I was not aware of what the OP is saying, but it may hold some truth....

24. andrewpturko thread starter macrumors regular

andrewpturko

Are you a paid dev?

25. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

Nope. None of them were developers. I am not and I ordered yesterday. It's preparing to ship right now, so I'm pretty sure it will arrive before the end of the month as they already charged my card.