get S8+ now or wait for iPhone 8/edition?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by emporiky, Apr 23, 2017.

1. emporiky macrumors regular

As an Apple fan for quite some years now, I have never expected to be so attracted to a product of a company which failed so spectacularly with its last flagship phone.

But here it is - I currently have a 6s but more and more I feel the need of a bigger screen, as often I am on the go and I have to work from my phone. That's where the S8+ form factor looks incredibly attractive and the display is absolutely gorgeous (quite important for me). The iPhone 7+ looks like a surfboard in comparison...

What holds me for now is that I have invested heavily in the Apple ecosystem (Apple Watch and Macbook owner), but also Samsung's update uncertainty and android privacy concerns . But having been more or less disappointed with Apple's products in the past year I am wondering if its worth waiting to see what they offer.

What are your thoughts about it guys? Anyone else feel tempted for the S8+?

2. Ds6778 macrumors 6502

Ds6778

If you already have the watch and Mac, just wait. Or just get both..

3. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

The Galaxy S8 recently launched last friday to consumers. Check it out at your local carrier store or best buy. Check out the screen as Samsung will be providing the same OLED Panel to Apple for this year's iPhone. The best way to get a small glimpse of what Apple has in store is with iOS 11. There are always some small software hints hidden within the OS itself or features that look to be tailored to a iPhone 8.

4. doboy macrumors 68000

It's just a phone, just get it if you want it. I myself didn't like S8/8+ enough after playing with it for 30 min+ to return my iPhone 7 plus (still within return period) and get the S8. Security is my top priority and just don't trust Android ecosystem enough so even when I had android phones I didn't do anything important on it. Also for me the screen aspect ratio was off-putting and no 3D Touch feature bothered me enough. As an owner Apple Watch, MacBook, AppleTV, and multiple iPads I don't feel like dealing with a device that doesn't talk to one another.

5. ZapNZs macrumors 68000

ZapNZs

Wait.

The S8+ could have a whole bunch of problems that accelerate the speed of hair loss and the onset of psychosis. Alternatively, the iPhone 7s/8 could be legacy technology upon release and fall far short of being the impressive slam that so many are anticipating. Both might suck after the new phone smell fades and people have to live with their quirks or design shortfalls for several years. On the flip side, both might rock. It's too early to say much about the S8 beyond the professional review sites, which IMO don't tell one jack crap about the likely long term implications of ownership, and it's way way way too early to say anything about the iPhone 7s/8.

The 7 Plus is an outstanding phone that's proven itself to be a reliable workhorse suitable for business usage. To me, that's far more important than fancy new features, given if those fancy new features don't work as well in real life then that could mean less money for me. I learned my lesson about major hardware revisions with the iPhone 4, and how the finest fancy features in the world can't makeup for shortcomings that interfere with the functionality needed for professional/vocational usage.

6. Geert76, Apr 23, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2017

Geert76 macrumors 65816

keep in mind that the iPhone 8 (with oled screen) will be the most popular iPhone ever.
    As soon as pre order opens, you must order within 0,04 seconds.
    After that this iPhone will be backordered for maybe like 3 or 4 months. Look at the iPhone 7 pre order last year, some models were backordered for several weeks pretty quick.
    And this iPhone 7 was almost a 1:1 copy of the iPhone 6/6S, so no big surprises there.
    Apple Watch Series 2 last year, massive backorder.
    And then the AirPods, after months after release still backordered for weeks/months.
    I guess you are looking at, at least several months before most people can get hold of this oled iPhone 8.

7. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Don't forget the new Samsung Note coming out which might have a better camera and other features than the S8+. I read a rumor there's a possibility of the fingerprint scanner being integrated with the screen but I don't how likely that is. At the very least, perhaps Samsung will move the fingerprint scanner on the back to a better location.

It also likely to come out a month or so before the new iPhone, so there should be some compelling choices at that point.

8. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

This year for the iPhone preorders if rumors are accurate will be absolutely hectic. My thoughts are some won't receive their models likely after the Holidays.

9. UKapple macrumors regular

Hold off from the S8 buddy. There's a lot of people (myself included) suffering from a pink/red screen. Wait and see if Samsung sorts it first

10. WalterO30301, Apr 23, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2017

WalterO30301 macrumors newbie

WalterO30301

If I were you, I would wait for the Iphone 8, in any case, you will get a cheaper price for the S8 if you don't like the Iphone 8

11. Ds6778 macrumors 6502

Ds6778

You can fix it yourself...not an issue.

12. Mr.Bigglesworth macrumors regular

Mr.Bigglesworth

I would say hold off. I my self am caught in this situation..

Here's the thing. The Note 8 will be coming out this fall, and then Samsung will toss the S8 into the back burner. They are infamously known for that. Apple does a very good job at keeping all of their past flagship devices up to date for as long as they can.

This Years iPhone will be exceptional. The same screen that the S8 has, the iPhone 8 will have as well. So we all might as well just wait.

13. yanksfan114 macrumors regular

No you can't, the adaptive mode won't have enough adjustment available for screens that are badly affected. I had to return the S8+ because of this. It's an issue when Samsung announced they're making a software patch for it.

14. UKapple macrumors regular

I don't think you can. I've adjusted the red colour in settings to its lowest and the pink is still there. The fact that it only affects certain parts of the screen leads me to believe it's hardware issue and not a software one, hence I can't really see the update Samsung are about to release fixing it.

15. Mxbzz macrumors 6502

I'd say to give it a try and form your own opinions, Android isn't for everyone, and there is a learning curve if you're accustomed to iOS. Not saying one way is better than the other, but just requires getting used to.

16. ZapNZs macrumors 68000

ZapNZs

If you happen to be one of the lucky people who can click in 0.04 seconds and become one of the first to get the iphone 8 (especially one in a desirable color)...you could eBay that sucker for 3-10 times what you paid, as two people with too much bloody money will decide they don't want to wait.

That's a lot of carrot cash for my rabbit.

17. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

The title of this thread is a bit misleading.

18. DNichter macrumors 68040

DNichter

Wait for the new iPhone. If you prefer iOS, there is really zero reason to switch. Any "features" it has will be on the next iPhone.

19. ichii macrumors 6502a

ichii

I didn't notice it either on my phone. It depends if you like the S8 try it out at best buy. I might try and sell my iPhone 7 plus and get the iPhone 8 later if it's nice if not I'll use it to pay off my Galaxy S8. Battery life on the S8 is pretty good, almost as good as my 7 plus. No complaints with the size or camera either.

20. sigomez macrumors regular

I say wait...while the S8 is gorgeous the features you can only get on iOS trump that (imessage and a facetime) are invaluable to me.

21. zone23 macrumors 68000

22. BigDO macrumors 6502

BigDO

It's a phone, not a child. Buy it, use it, if you like it keep it, if you don't sell it. Agonizing over a commodity is quite silly.

23. MOTiiVHATE` macrumors member

Wait.

I traded in my 7 Plus for the S8, only to trade that in for another 7 Plus...

I came from Android a few years ago and thought it would be an easy transition. But I quickly realized I missed the fluidity and ease of iOS.

That being said there were no problems with the S8. If I could afford to have both, I probably would.

24. zone23 macrumors 68000

I returned my S8+ and just decided to keep my S7 Edge. Biggest issue I have in switching back and forth is I want to use iMessage so I turn it on, turn it off, back and forth. So my point is it's hard to have both. PS you can't beat the iPhone keyboard it just kicks a$$.

25. Hengki macrumors newbie

Hengki

Agreed. I like both.. using Ipad and ordered S8