Getting annoyed with the camera quality

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sundog925, Oct 5, 2013.

1. sundog925, Oct 5, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2013

sundog925 macrumors 6502a

Not sure what android phones are equipped with but I was out last night with some co-workers and almost none of my photos came out clear or the correct colors or they were blurry. I tried HDR, holding it super steady, filters, everything. People with an S4 and htc one had night mode and all these other modes and the photos came out great. Not that people's comments bother me since I choose what I want but damn apple, it's embarrassing when you toot your phone as the best and no one wants a photo with it.

I kept telling people when I get my 5S in a couple weeks, they'll be blown away.

Come on apple,
    Step up your game please.
    Make me right.

My 2 cents I suppose.

Currently on iPhone. 5.

2. gCloud macrumors 6502a

don't know about the android phones but the camera on the 5s is great compared to the 4s and the 5.

3. hbksabhi macrumors regular

is it really that muc better than 5 considering IQ only leaving extra features

4. SHirsch999 macrumors 6502a

If you are looking to have top-notch, print quality photos, use a real camera, not the one on a phone. Having said that I have been rather impressed with the photos from my 5s, especially under dark conditions and especially when compared to my 4s.

5. gigapocket1 macrumors 6502a

Here's one thing I notice. Sometimes it looks like their photos came out better because of their displays.. Email their photos and your photos to a computer. Then you will see how crappy their pictures actually are sometimes

6. wxman2003 Suspended

Did you try rapid burst mode? Hold shutter down for rapid burst for several photos. Will not be blurry and you can choose best out of the rapid burst.

7. gCloud macrumors 6502a

I found exactly that while on holiday with a friend that had a note 2

8. sundog925 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Maybe it's the bigger screens or more pixels but wow the galaxy s4 takes gorgeous photos, even in low light. I felt like wow, these cheaper phones produce better results. Makes me wish I would've pre ordered the s4 just a little bit. I always felt apple had the superior product. Now I feel like less of a believer.

9. danilko1 macrumors 6502a

danilko1

It's really hard to follow what you are saying.

What phone are you using, that's not working out for you? You say you are waiting for the 5S, so you are not complaining about this.

I don't know what the "other guys" have, but it's logical to think that small chips, and small apertures are going to give you problems in low light.

10. wxman2003 Suspended

Depends on which size you wish to send. It may be sending the low res version. Connect phone directly to computer and you will get the high res by default.

11. sundog925 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I know. I can't wait to try it out with the 5S. The slow mo and dual flash should be awesome!

12. noobinator macrumors 601

It's the photographer that's the problem. Not the camera.

13. sundog925 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Using iPhone 5.

14. parrot5 macrumors 6502

The camera on that phone is horrible. I had it and eventually stopped taking photos with it. My 4 and the 4s at home took better photos than that 2012 phone.

15. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

My HTC One knocked the socks off my wife's 5s in low light situations. The HTC is designed with low light as a priority, and the 5s as more of an all around type. I haven't tried to compare pics from both my 42" TV, but the 5s might have greater resolution in daylight.

16. big samm macrumors 65816

I have a S4 and iphone 5s even the 5 the S4 camera is really really good but snapping the picture is a bit hard sometimes, there's always a delay between pressing the shutter and the camera taking the picture, not a big delay but still noticeable and the results sometimes gives blurry pictures, on the other side the iphone 5s has a pretty good camera with good colour reproduction, and there's no delay when pressing on the shutter, pics are taken instantly witch results in good pictures even if you have no skills in photography... Both are real good cameras imo...

17. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

I have had all major phone releases over the last few years. The Galaxy line of phones do "look" like the pictures are better when viewing them on the phone. But once you look at them on a PC monitor the iphones shine through.

It's just the screen size, vivid colors of amoled screens that make the pictures look better on the those phones.

18. g4manimac macrumors 6502

Dont take too many pictures at night but I snapped these pics with my 5s while I was at work,just some things that caught my eye and both were taken fast almost on the move and no retakes and I gotta say all the pics I've been taking with my 5s are constantly better than with my 5.

Attached Files:

19. sundog925 thread starter macrumors 6502a

these pictures still make me believe in the 5S.
    cant wait to see the results.

and to whoever said use a digital camera, those are on the way out. lets be honest. only pro photogs and real enthusiasts have a need for a cam, the normal consumer uses their phone. why else would companies place such importance on the quality of their cameras?

20. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Agreed. The 5s takes noticeably better pictures than the 5. There are other smartphones that take better pictures depending on the comparison, but IMHO Apple's ecosystem makes up for any of those weaknesses.

21. iosuser macrumors 6502a

5 vs 5s camera

Quality is about the same when it's brightly lit on a sunny day outside. Low light shots the 5s is definitely cleaner and less shots come out blurred. I don't know if it's Apple's "electronic stabilization" doing its trick, but even with the 5s' bigger lens aperture and cleaner high ISO sensitivity, it tends to choose a low shutter speed instead of bumping the ISO, yet I have a lot less occurrence of blurry shots that from the 5. A perfect example is when I'm shopping. I like to compare prices and take pictures of products and price tags. 2 out of 3 from the iPhone 5 they would come out blurry (from slow shutter speed/handshake) even from a pretty bright store like Costco. With the 5s the first shot always comes out sharp doing the same thing inside Costco.

The biggest plus of the 5s camera compared to the 5 is its wide angle. It's about the difference of going from 28mm to 24mm.

My only want left from the iPhone camera is optical stabilization - electronic stabilization usually crops out a bit of the frame, especially when doing videos. I am perfectly happy with this 8MP sensor.

22. Dontazemebro macrumors 68020

Dontazemebro

Ill be honest with you. My S4 takes slightly better pictures than my 4s did but there are so many filters to mess with that you can get lost in all of that. I haven't decided whether i want to get the 5s yet but out the box, iPhone still has the best point &shoot in my opinion. It took me forever before i could figure out how to get good quality photos on the GS4.

23. urkel macrumors 68030

While I agree, the problem with the perceived quality of the 5s is the amount of hype people put behind it's camera quality and how it rivals "real cameras". From the 4S to the 5 to the 5s, there was so much talk regarding the "amazing quality of the new camera" and I bought into it every time (literally). But in the end the same problems occurred. Unless you're taking a picture of a Squirrel at the beach then the shots were similar to what you get out of a $120 point and shoot. Thats not a slam because iPhones have always had the best cameras for their generation but all this talk of "amazing night shots" and "a flash that looks natural" are based more on Apple love than actual results.

24. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

So true.

----------

The spray and prey method of photography

25. mightygitis macrumors 6502

mightygitis

Not to be mean but you can't be doing it right if they are all coming out blurry. I had an iPhone 4 before this 5S and used to have people on galaxies and notes marvel at my amazing pictures. Are you tapping on the screen to focus?