Getting iPhone X-2 a better idea

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kulfon, Oct 9, 2017.

1. hifimacianer macrumors member

I'll also skip the X for a year. Apple often had it's problems with completely new versions and technologies. FaceID is a new tech, and will probably improve fast (speed, reliability, better viewing angle etc.). OLED is also new for Apple, and we will see how it's working for them. I often heard about issues with OLED displays. So we will see. Also the new user interface because of the missing homebutton has to prove to be intuitive on a day to day basis.

On top of that, I also think that the availability of the X will be limited for some month.

That's why I go with the 8+ for now, what is probably the most matured iPhone Apple has ever built.

2. terminator-jq macrumors 6502

Id be willing to bet that next years iPhone X will be more of an “S” model than a full generation leap. Those expecting Touch ID under the screen, the removal of the notch or even a smaller notch will probably be disappointed. Of course I could be wrong but most likely, all we’ll see is:

1. More powerful chip

2. Maybe a higher MP camera

3. Maybe a brighter screen (800 nits?)

4. A larger 6.4” option

5. More colors

3. Kulfon thread starter macrumors 6502

Kulfon

IMHO, if you cannot pay 1000 just like that on a phone, you cannot afford it. It is not really needed to have such an expensive phone

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Consumers and sales numbers will decide if its better or not;)
    To me its not better and I do not wear gloves every day. Only a few times a year when it snows.
    Touch ID is very reliable, fast and secure.

5. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

If you are asking whether people are capable of paying $900-$1000 upfront to get a new phone, the number of people who can pay this way are drastically lower.

I'm not rich, but I have $1000 in my bank acct if I wanted a new phone. But I bet this is far from the average.

And for married people and families...you may be talking $2000, $3000, or more.

That's a lot of dineros...

6. deany macrumors 68030

deany

Post of the quarter!
    thanks, made me laugh!

7. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

There are different ways of paying for phone even if somebody has the money or not. It's just rather they choose to spend the whole amount or subsidize the phone. Debt to income ratio is important, but many who have the money, may find it more convenient to pay the phone off incrementally. Again, one should consider what's an advantage to them based off income.

8. Kulfon thread starter macrumors 6502

Kulfon

I would buy 1000 phone only if I have at least 100-200K in my bank account. I always buy cash and always think if I need it and if I can really afford.
    I think iPhone X is a disappointment. It would have been a no brainer for me in not for these three reasons:
    1. Touch ID lacking
    2. Ugly white back panel
    3. Screen is not edge to edge
    I was really hoping that they will do somehing that will not have the above compromises. Biggest advantage is the iOS.

9. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

So you will only spend between .5% - and 1% of your current bank account on a phone?

That would mean that the average american household should only be paying 10-20 bucks for their phone.

10. Kulfon thread starter macrumors 6502

Kulfon

This is just me. Phone is a phone for me. I do the same with the car and etc. If ai buy a car, I pay in full right away. This way I know if I can afford or not.

11. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

While it's nice that you are so fiscally responsible, as long as carriers offer payment plans ... it's unnecessary.

12. Kulfon thread starter macrumors 6502

Kulfon

Totally inderstand. Just my thing. Buy people are free to do what they think is right. It is just I see that in a lot of cases people in US to not own anything, bank does.

13. Jimpilot macrumors 6502a

Jimpilot

That’s the beauty of the IUP, you can use it for a year and then trade it in. Or you can keep it paying another year and you own it. So it’s a 0% loan to purchase with a guaranteed trade in value. Does it help to think of it that way?

Always more fun to buy with other people’s money and pay it off over time.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 11, 2017 ---

Good don’t buy it. I just moved up on the buy list :)
    --- Post Merged, Oct 11, 2017 ---
    I just purchased a car. They offered 0% financing as an incentive. I had planned to pay cash for the car but now I have use of and interest on the money. If they had offered a cash incentive I would have taken that route but they didn’t so it was give them my money now or later. Same deal with IUP, I have use of the money for a year and can continue to pay and own the phone or get guaranteed trade in value. And as said above, no issues with selling it.

14. flat five macrumors 603

flat five

does this mean you'll buy a $500 phone only if you have at least $50,000?
    and you'll buy a $100 phone only if you have at least $10,000?
    and you'll only buy a $25,000 car if you have $2.5million?

or do your numbers fluctuate some? if so, what are the factors?
    just curious.. to me, it seems like an odd ratio for consumer goods.

15. EdMan macrumors 6502

EdMan

I guess my thought has been to no longer get the first model year upgrade. I will continue to get the S device to enjoy the refined version. I won’t get every new iPhone any longer. I’ve had enough at this point unless something groundbreaking comes along and the likelihood of that has been pretty low.

16. TravisPNW macrumors 6502a

TravisPNW

... and you know they will. LOL

I did the same thing with the Watch... just got my first, the Series 3.

I was reading reviews on the S3 recently and quite a few of them said that the S1 Watch was pretty bad.

17. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Series 1 is essentially the first generation Apple Watch with nothing more than an upgraded processor. It's still very functional, but it all depends what you're using it for. But the Series 3 is fairly significant Leap in speed over the first generation Watch.