Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

profmjh

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 7, 2015
UK
My Apple fandom is being sorely tested at the moment. I've paid nearly a grand for a watch. I expect it to work.

1. The sunrise/sunset complication doesn't work. This is clearly a known issue as there are threads in here and elsewhere complaining about it.

2. Today the weather app won't work. Two dashes where the temperature is supposed to be. The app won't load. Just a blank screen and the stupid white balls spinning forever.

3. Again, as others have observed, the hugely expensive link strap appears to have a design flaw: half the time it doesn't click shut. You think it has, then seconds later it snaps open again.

I'm not interested in being told about this being a first gen product. I'm not interested in being told to restart or unpair. I'm not interested in sending it back. I expect it to work. That's what happens when you spend a thousand pounds on a watch: you expect it to work.

Fewer smug presentations, Apple, more actually getting your **** together.

leebroath

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2010
Scotland
Another one to add is the Calender, tonight around 9pm click on the date then it moves into the actual Calender that says Friday !!

It really should say Thursday so there's another big

profmjh

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 7, 2015
UK
I suppose you did not reboot your iPhone or your Watch, right ?

Yes, of course I have. It shouldn't be necessary and it didn't work.

I paired and unpaired. That fixed the weather but not the sunrise/sunset. And it didn't, of course, fix the strap design flaw. Oh, and it took about 20 minutes.

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014
I waited long enough for the one I've got.

The sunrise/sunset issue is clearly a software flaw. Many people have complained about it. And I'm pretty sure the strap issue is a design flaw.

How long did you wait? I ordered the Sport on Saturday and got it delivered on Tuesday. They're starting to be sold in stores now so it might be faster.

Taco1933

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2014
I haven't experienced number 1 and I have a sport band so I can't comment on number 3 either. But I'm not a fan of weather so far. Mine has always worked, but sometimes it takes forever. Watch needs to be quick. The value is the efficiency. If I have to wait 30 seconds for a forecast to load, I could have been done already on my phone.

Just ever more reasons why I never will buy an Apple Watch. It's not really even a real Apple product to me.

Why are you here? There are tons of devices I choose not to buy. I spend absolutely no time on forums dedicated to them.

Scaleo

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2013
Munich, Germany
I once had this error with the Solar Complication and weather too.
It happend because the location service did not work properly on the iPhone. I saw this by opening the Astro. watch face and saw that my location was totally wrong.
Did a reboot and switched the location services in the iPhone off and on and I think I forced the Phone to get my location by opening the maps app and press on the location button.
After that it worked again.
And did not fail since then.

Reactions: PirateP

ckurt25

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Michigan, USA
When your $1,000+ computer crashes do you just complain or try troubleshooting, which may or may not include restarting it? If you buy a new car and a few months into ownership it has a problem do you leave it by the side of the road or do you take it to the dealer?

I can see your frustration but if anyone expects any type of technology product they buy to work flawlessly 100% of the time for their entire lifetime then they aren't in touch with reality. Cars, computer, phones, tablet, watches, routers... It sounds like you are having more issues than most people but I'm sure they can be fixed with a little bit of effort.

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014
When your $1,000+ computer crashes do you just complain or try troubleshooting, which may or may not include restarting it? If you buy a new car and a few months into ownership it has a problem do you leave it by the side of the road or do you take it to the dealer?

I can see your frustration but if anyone expects any type of technology product they buy to work flawlessly 100% of the time for their entire lifetime then they aren't in touch with reality. Cars, computer, phones, tablet, watches, routers... It sounds like you are having more issues than most people but I'm sure they can be fixed with a little bit of effort.

This.

Reactions: JBuck and ZeRoLiMiT

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
I wouldn't say he's having more issues than most. I frequently have the same issues. Also, my wife, who is not tech savvy had the same sunrise/sunset issue. When trying to explain to someone to use the watch more, and what other cool things you can do, and to have it not work is discouraging.

I have to agree with the OP on this one. Lots of bugs.

Reactions: jbachandouris

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
My Apple fandom is being sorely tested at the moment. I've paid nearly a grand for a watch. I expect it to work.

1. The sunrise/sunset complication doesn't work. This is clearly a known issue as there are threads in here and elsewhere complaining about it.

What's it doing/not doing? I added this one to my Modular face recently, and the data seems to be in sync with tides.info for my area[?]

Reactions: ohio.emt

profmjh

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 7, 2015
UK
I admit I'm being a ranty nutjob. Though isn't that what these forums are for? To help crazed people work through their issues?

Reactions: samiznaetekto

profmjh

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 7, 2015
UK
What's it doing/not doing? I added this one to my Modular face recently, and the data seems to be in sync with tides.info for my area[?]

It's stuck on the sunrise time from a week ago. Nothing fixes it.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
I don't care what you spend. On first gen and especially 1.x software, you'll experience bugs. Learn to live with it.

My only complaints have been that the apple store has been useless. Took a band to a store and they said they couldn't accept the return, but to call apple and get a return label. Ok, well, put apple care plus on the watch. I suppose you want to examine it? Nope. We can't do that either. Call apple and add it on.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
It's stuck on the sunrise time from a week ago. Nothing fixes it.

Ahh, OK.

Have you tried this:

- turn on your watch with a face with the sunrise comp
- go to your iphone, Settings >> Privacy >> Location Services
- select Apple Watch
- there's two options: Never / While Using, select Never
- in a few seconds the watch comp for Rise/Set should switch to dashes
- back on the phone, select While Using again, the comp should update (or at least display data vs. --)

profmjh

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 7, 2015
UK
Ahh, OK.

Have you tried this:

- turn on your watch with a face with the sunrise comp
- go to your iphone, Settings >> Privacy >> Location Services
- select Apple Watch
- there's two options: Never / While Using, select Never
- in a few seconds the watch comp for Rise/Set should switch to dashes
- back on the phone, select While Using again, the comp should update (or at least display data vs. --)

Just tried that. Now I'm worse off. The sunrise/sunset complication went back to being stuck on sunrise from a week ago and now the astronomy face doesn't know where I am and the solar face thinks I live on the equator or somewhere. The maps app knows where I am, but it would be too much to think that it would then tell the watch faces.

Like I say, this watch is [redacted].

Reactions: samiznaetekto

ibwb

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2006
Just tried that. Now I'm worse off. The sunrise/sunset complication went back to being stuck on sunrise from a week ago and now the astronomy face doesn't know where I am and the solar face thinks I live on the equator or somewhere. The maps app knows where I am, but it would be too much to think that it would then tell the watch faces.

Like I say, this watch is [redacted].

Sunrise hasn't really changed in the past week... maybe by a minute at most. We're close to the solstice so there isn't much change. Sunset is getting a little later due to the elliptical-orbit-related portion of the analemma.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.