Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Non-profit organization Girls Who Code today announced plans to begin offering a new Swift coding tutorial option for its upcoming 6th to 12th grade clubs as part of Apple's ongoing Everyone Can Code initiative.

Apple CEO Tim Cook shared the news on Twitter this afternoon, saying the company is excited to work with the Girls Who Code initiative.

girlswhocode-800x450.jpg

Girls Who Code's website says that it is aiming to build the "largest pipeline of future female engineers in the United States" through learning opportunities and programs dedicated to teaching coding.

A more diverse future begins with opportunities for everyone. We're excited to work with @GirlsWhoCode, empowering girls across the US to be the tech leaders of tomorrow. #EveryoneCanCode https://t.co/wGnfCmgijj - Tim Cook (@tim_cook) August 20, 2019

Girls Who Code offers free after school programs for 3rd to 5th and 6th to 12th grade girls in a variety of locations across the United States.

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: 'Girls Who Code' Non-Profit Announces New Swift Curriculum Option

Reactions: jkcerda

JoshBoy

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Considering we have an issue with less and less males graduating, less and less males going onto further education and drop out rates for males increasing each year...... seems fair and reasonable ‍♂️

I am all for equality of opportunity just not for equality of outcome, there is a big difference.

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
Considering we have an issue with less and less males graduating, less and less males going onto further education and drop out rates for males increasing each year...... seems fair and reasonable ‍♂️

I am all for equality of opportunity just not for equality of outcome, there is a big difference.
This is an attempt to engineer equality of outcome.

I shall say no more

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa
What a joke. What are we going to do once we hit a 50% ratio of women?
Be pleased.
[doublepost=1566348303][/doublepost]
Then you should support this program.
[doublepost=1566348408][/doublepost]
I thought open discrimination was in the past. Guess not.
What a silly post. There are plenty of arenas where targeted recruitment and enrollment are suitable, even necessary for a variety of reasons. After school programs are one example.

definitive

macrumors 68020
Aug 4, 2008
What a joke. What are we going to do once we hit a 50% ratio of women?

not gonna happen. it's easier and more common now for women to earn the same money (or more) posting photos of their behinds on social media, and getting paid to promote products to their followers or selling "premium" content through paid sites than to invest time and money in coding.

!!!

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2013
Always cool to see how we're moving further and further backwards with sexism and discrimination. What's next, only hiring women for coding jobs?

And if we really wanna go there: is it even considered "coding" if they're not using a physics keyboard?

saudade

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2015
My female don’t work or even study cause i want her taking care of my house and my familia including kids. She wont waste her time coding apps im the man and i will bring food 2 the table, someday. 4 now i prefer to relax and enjoy life u know what I mean? Women dont want 2 code they hate these things that clear. My mother can’t understand the remote control of the tv

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Always cool to see how we're moving further and further backwards with sexism and discrimination. What's next, only hiring women for coding jobs?

And if we really wanna go there: is it even considered "coding" if they're not using a physics keyboard?
You’re kidding, right?

fairuz

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2017
Silicon Valley
Yet young males who code are s.o.l.....
I don't think there's a shortage of ways to learn to code for anyone who really wants to. And honestly I'd never start out students learning Swift; for CS you probably want Python, for engineering Java is a simpler start.
[doublepost=1566359026][/doublepost]
This is an attempt to engineer equality of outcome.

I shall say no more
If that's the intent, it'd be better not to treat "coding while female" as something unusual.

Last edited:

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
"A more diverse future..."

As usual, Timmy the SWJ is using code for exclusion & discrimination.
Lifting up one underrepresented group does not mean pushing another group down.
[doublepost=1566375089][/doublepost]
My female don’t work or even study cause i want her taking care of my house and my familia including kids. She wont waste her time coding apps im the man and i will bring food 2 the table, someday. 4 now i prefer to relax and enjoy life u know what I mean? Women dont want 2 code they hate these things that clear. My mother can’t understand the remote control of the tv
If you’re a genuine poster and this isn’t a troll post you’re basically the poster boy for why initiatives like this are valuable.

miniyou64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
Be pleased.
[doublepost=1566348303][/doublepost]
Then you should support this program.
[doublepost=1566348408][/doublepost]
What a silly post. There are plenty of arenas where targeted recruitment and enrollment are suitable, even necessary for a variety of reasons. After school programs are one example.
Im not trying to be a wiseguy. Im genuinely interested: why is it so important for it to be 50% women and 50% men? Why is that significant or an achievement in any way?

Shadows_lord

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2019
I see the man babies with nothing better to do immediately hit this story with their whiny comments. Listening to them you’d think we live in a female dominated world. Hah. Some men you are going after a club for little girls. Let me guess, you guys identify as incels too? Am I hitting too close to home?

“They’re after our jerbs!” the bad developers complained, fearful of losing their comfy position to someone better qualified. “We’ve dominated this profession for decades due to having a penis and testes betwixt our legs!”

I’ve seen so many guys hired as developers that are garbage. Face it, you guys wouldn’t be so salty about this club for little girls if you were actually good at your job because you would have nothing to worry about. The problem is there are so many jobs available in this field that if there were more qualified women, they could wipe out that contingent and we could make more progress in the industry by eliminating the waste.

I’m planning to teach my daughter to code. And later my son. I think it’s something that everyone should learn at a young age.

What a pile of....I hope you were sarcastic!

If you think what you're saying is true, just look at colleges Affirmative Action practices that they hire women/blacks with LOWER GPAs in STEM fields. So yeah, MORE qualified people also lose their opportunities.

benshive

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2017
United States
not gonna happen. it's easier and more common now for women to earn the same money (or more) posting photos of their behinds on social media, and getting paid to promote products to their followers or selling "premium" content through paid sites than to invest time and money in coding.
Jeez, do you have any females in your life that you even remotely know? How many women do you think actually do this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.