'Girls Who Code' Non-Profit Announces New Swift Curriculum Option

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacRumors, Aug 20, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Non-profit organization Girls Who Code today announced plans to begin offering a new Swift coding tutorial option for its upcoming 6th to 12th grade clubs as part of Apple's ongoing Everyone Can Code initiative.

Apple CEO Tim Cook shared the news on Twitter this afternoon, saying the company is excited to work with the Girls Who Code initiative.

[​IMG]

Girls Who Code's website says that it is aiming to build the "largest pipeline of future female engineers in the United States" through learning opportunities and programs dedicated to teaching coding.

Girls Who Code offers free after school programs for 3rd to 5th and 6th to 12th grade girls in a variety of locations across the United States.

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: 'Girls Who Code' Non-Profit Announces New Swift Curriculum Option

2. Apple2GS macrumors member

Apple2GS

I thought open discrimination was in the past. Guess not.

3. JoshBoy macrumors 6502

JoshBoy

Considering we have an issue with less and less males graduating, less and less males going onto further education and drop out rates for males increasing each year...... seems fair and reasonable ‍♂️

I am all for equality of opportunity just not for equality of outcome, there is a big difference.

4. Glockworkorange macrumors 68000

Glockworkorange

This is an attempt to engineer equality of outcome.

I shall say no more

5. -DMN- macrumors member

-DMN-

What a joke. What are we going to do once we hit a 50% ratio of women?

6. thefourthpope macrumors 6502a

thefourthpope

Be pleased.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 20, 2019 ---
    Then you should support this program.
    What a silly post. There are plenty of arenas where targeted recruitment and enrollment are suitable, even necessary for a variety of reasons. After school programs are one example.

7. TomaxXamot macrumors regular

TomaxXamot

Assuming I read your comment correctly, this is exactly the kind of reply I expected to find in this thread.

8. Naraxus macrumors 6502a

Naraxus

9. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

not gonna happen. it's easier and more common now for women to earn the same money (or more) posting photos of their behinds on social media, and getting paid to promote products to their followers or selling "premium" content through paid sites than to invest time and money in coding.

10. Naraxus macrumors 6502a

Naraxus

"A more diverse future..."

As usual, Timmy the SWJ is using code for exclusion & discrimination.

11. NPC Compliant macrumors newbie

NPC Compliant

Looking forward to the #GirlsWhoCollectGarbage and #GirlsWhoCleanSewers initiative

12. theapplehead, Aug 20, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2019

theapplehead macrumors 6502

theapplehead

I’m surprised MacRumors didn’t list this as PRSI.

Edit: it seems MR has heard me and decided to categorize as PRSI. Thanks

13. throAU macrumors 603

throAU

Are we assuming their gender?

14. !!! macrumors 6502

Always cool to see how we're moving further and further backwards with sexism and discrimination. What's next, only hiring women for coding jobs?

And if we really wanna go there: is it even considered "coding" if they're not using a physics keyboard?

15. saudade macrumors 6502

saudade

My female don’t work or even study cause i want her taking care of my house and my familia including kids. She wont waste her time coding apps im the man and i will bring food 2 the table, someday. 4 now i prefer to relax and enjoy life u know what I mean? Women dont want 2 code they hate these things that clear. My mother can’t understand the remote control of the tv

16. fairuz, Aug 20, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2019

fairuz macrumors 68020

fairuz

I get why all-female schools exist, but why an all-female class? Or same with male.

17. PickUrPoison Suspended

You’re kidding, right?

18. fairuz, Aug 20, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2019

fairuz macrumors 68020

fairuz

I don't think there's a shortage of ways to learn to code for anyone who really wants to. And honestly I'd never start out students learning Swift; for CS you probably want Python, for engineering Java is a simpler start.
    If that's the intent, it'd be better not to treat "coding while female" as something unusual.

19. Westside guy macrumors 603

Westside guy

I don't like this. I really can't support any so-called "Swift Circumcision" option.

And why is Apple even involved??

20. PickUrPoison Suspended

Be the change! Sounds like a worthwhile cause to devote your life to. We need all the service workers we can get.

21. mixel macrumors 68000

mixel

Lifting up one underrepresented group does not mean pushing another group down.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 21, 2019 ---
    If you’re a genuine poster and this isn’t a troll post you’re basically the poster boy for why initiatives like this are valuable.

22. miniyou64 macrumors 6502a

miniyou64

Im not trying to be a wiseguy. Im genuinely interested: why is it so important for it to be 50% women and 50% men? Why is that significant or an achievement in any way?

23. Shadows_lord macrumors newbie

What a pile of....I hope you were sarcastic!

If you think what you're saying is true, just look at colleges Affirmative Action practices that they hire women/blacks with LOWER GPAs in STEM fields. So yeah, MORE qualified people also lose their opportunities.

24. lunarworks macrumors 68000

"Now get in the kitchen and make me a sandwich, then go clean the toilet," right?

Threads like these demonstrate exactly why we need programs like these. Every single goddamn time.

25. benshive macrumors 6502

Jeez, do you have any females in your life that you even remotely know? How many women do you think actually do this?