Glide: The Precision Aluminum iPhone Case

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by bobpensik, Oct 4, 2011.

1. bobpensik macrumors regular

2. nigameash macrumors 6502

it looks quite nice. i think i'll be getting one of those.

3. X5-452 macrumors 6502

X5-452

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Wait. Are these on the market or do you have to pledge first before the product even becomes a reality??

These look siiick

4. chrislaw macrumors 6502a

chrislaw

I looked at this a few days ago. I think enough interest has to be locked in before it goes to production.

5. indyzzzz macrumors 6502a

6. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

i'd buy one. Is there anything similar out there? (raises up from the table but really thin?)

7. glen e macrumors 68030

There is NO WAY a full alum band won't hinder reception....Esp GPS.

8. bobpensik thread starter macrumors regular

Did you go an check out the product and use it? Or are you just basing that statement on other products that have caused issues?

9. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

The product doesn't even exist yet. How is one supposed to check it out?

10. bobpensik, Oct 7, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2011

bobpensik thread starter macrumors regular

My point exactly. How can someone say with such authority that the design will affect reception if no one has been able to use it yet

Considering there is only 9 days to go and he hasn't even reached $1000 of $20,000 needed in pledges, I don't think we will be able to find out anyway

11. glen e macrumors 68030

Because we have proven here you cannot put alum around the whole phone and not have it cause problems..search faraday effect. But hey go ahead and buy it...it took me 5 diff alum cases to believe it before I went to a hybrid case...

Do some reading here on the element threads to start....

12. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Based on fact, it's a Faraday cage.

13. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

This looks nice, I may have to pledge for this one.

14. polycat33 macrumors 6502

They have an actual website now where you can place an order:

http://www.glidecase.com/

I found this thread while browsing around to see if anyone has bought one and has experience with it.

I was scared off by the comments above that the aluminum could ruin reception, however, aren't there several aluminum bumper cases out there?? And from what I've seen, the rest are much pricier. I can't imagine people would be buying these other ones if reception is seriously affected... any thoughts?

15. Prototypical macrumors 6502

Prototypical

Definitely interested to see some reviews on this one. Easily the cleanest aluminum bumper design so far. Hopefully this doesn't have the reception issues that some of the other all-aluminum cases do.

16. hizzaah macrumors 6502

From their website:

17. Chrispy650 macrumors newbie

this looks really clean, but i still want to see some reviews about reception just to be sure.

18. Black Dawg Down macrumors member

They all say the same thing. But we're still seeing reception drops.

The question is by how much.

19. lehman310 macrumors member

I ordered one about a week ago, Ill be sure to go into the field test mode and see if how it affects reception

20. TL24 macrumors 6502a

TL24

Wow this case is really nice, slim and barely there! I'm ordering one! Thanks for sharing!

21. Stormy05 macrumors member

Just got my glide case today. Black sides with red front and back. Also came with extra black front and back pieces in black. I managed to get it on with a sgp back leather, front power support hd anti glare and lucky labs spectra wrap on the sides. And all I'm getting is two bubbles in the adjacent corners which isn't really bothering me. I'll try to get some pictures but I don't have another camera. I think my cell reception is the same, I live in a bad area so it's hard to tell. wi-fi is still at max bars though.

22. hizzaah macrumors 6502

Dial *3001#12345#* and it will show you the dB readings for your cellular connection. If you could post those for with and without the case, that would be helpful

23. Stormy05 macrumors member

Ok tried this three times. first time. case off walked around the house and got a solid -86. With case on it's jumping around more mostly stays around -93 to -95 some times goes to -100 . Second time with case on i got -94 took the case off and it didn't change, after about 3 minutes it changed to -85 then -88 with case off. Put the case back on and have -95. I hope this can help I don't know what the numbers mean but it seems that with case on most of the time I get a -5 to -10 differance. it jumps around allot right now with case on it's jumping from -85 to -94.

24. Prototypical macrumors 6502

Prototypical

And some real life pictures if you don't mind... :cool: