Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

naasrd

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2008
Dublin, Ireland
How unfortunate... Oh well, figured I'd ask anyways.

So what does everyone do? Does anyone even use the native mail app? I can't without push. I've resorted to the gmail app, which never feels as robust of apples app. What a waste of a superior app, but I just can't wait 15 minutes for an email...

I've switched to Acompli. Very impressive. Push extremely fast, it has a built in calendar, contacts, and save all photos, docs etc.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
theres nothing to update. Google killed off push email off for non-paying mail users. if you want native push in the mail app, do what i did....switch to an iCloud email address and forward your gmail inbox to the iCloud one. iCloud at least offers native push in the app.

But can you send from your gmail...?

Ive gotten to like the timers provided by Mailbox app anyway. Not sure i even want the stock mail app back

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
what annoys me is that i would like to restore my iPhone as new but i will lose my ability to push. happened to me on the iPad in the past when i didnt think of it at the time

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
what annoys me is that i would like to restore my iPhone as new but i will lose my ability to push. happened to me on the iPad in the past when i didnt think of it at the time
It's not based on the OS but when you got the phone and if you had it on it already. Restored mine many times including recently and still was able to set up Gmail as an Exchange account with push as usual.

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately

It's not based on the OS but when you got the phone and if you had it on it already. Restored mine many times including recently and still was able to set up Gmail as an Exchange account with push as usual.

I can confirm what C DM said, I still have it on my 4S, but not my new'ish ipad mini. I have restored my 4S many times and I still have push. At some point I want to get the iPhone 6 and it is going to suck to lose push. I might go back to the Gmail app at that point, but I like the mail.app better, I might have both set up and get notifications from gmail app, but use the mail app for actually using email.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany

oh u r right i mixed it up. i lost it on my iphone when i had to get a replacement and its still on my ipad.

i wonder how google can tell the device?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
oh u r right i mixed it up. i lost it on my iphone when i had to get a replacement and its still on my ipad.

i wonder how google can tell the device?
Various identifiers like UDID or something like that.

clukas

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
Doubt it the reason why native push died was on googles end.Not apples

Correct. If I remember correctly google push tech was based on licensed Active Sync from Microsoft. Google didn't want to pay Microsoft and hence push stopped working.

sand_man

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2011
Johannesburg, South Africa
Seems like it's easier to just use the Gmail app for mail notifications and launch the Mail app to actually read and send the mail.

It's actually quite an easy and effective fix although the link I posted above is a bit outdated.

1. Setup iCloud email account
2. Setup Gmail account. Turn mail off.
3. Turn iCloud SMTP server off> Settings> Mail, Contacts, Calendars> xxxxx@icloud.com> Account> Mail> Outgoing Mail Server>Primary Server iCloud SMTP server> Server (toggle to off) and done... then on the same screen...
4. Other Smtp Server> Add Server> Host name enter gmail host name which is smtp.gmail.com> User name: Is your full gmail address > Password (is your gmail password).
5. Open Safari and log into your gmail account and change your forwarding settings.....
settings >fowarding and pop/imap> forward a copy of incoming mail to xxxxxxxx@icloud.com

And that's it...

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It's actually quite an easy and effective fix although the link I posted above is a bit outdated.

1. Setup iCloud email account
2. Setup Gmail account. Turn mail off.
3. Turn iCloud SMTP server off> Settings> Mail, Contacts, Calendars> xxxxx@icloud.com> Account> Mail> Outgoing Mail Server>Primary Server iCloud SMTP server> Server (toggle to off) and done... then on the same screen...
4. Other Smtp Server> Add Server> Host name enter gmail host name which is smtp.gmail.com> User name: Is your full gmail address > Password (is your gmail password).
5. Open Safari and log into your gmail account and change your forwarding settings.....
settings >fowarding and pop/imap> forward a copy of incoming mail to xxxxxxxx@icloud.com

And that's it...
Seems more work then just having the Gmail app notify with push. Plus relies on forwarding which isn't always guaranteed to be instantaneous.

blhoward2

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
Pay for nuevasync. It allows you to push emails through pretty flawlessly. I used it before Apple supported imap push and I've used it since Google stopped supporting exchange sync.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Pay for nuevasync. It allows you to push emails through pretty flawlessly. I used it before Apple supported imap push and I've used it since Google stopped supporting exchange sync.

From their web site, that looks interesting. So they just scoop up your Gmail then push it to you through their servers? When you send or reply, does it still appear to the recipient as coming from Gmail?

sziehr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
Giving in is what Google wants. This move has come to affect me now new phones and new build means new push Id denied. I refuse to use there ****** app it is leggy and crashy and poor. They want more money from ads from your mail. There was nothing wrong with how it was it just did not net them money like every android user was. So they leveled the field so to speak except the experience on iOS and windows mobile is poor. This is more push to get you to come to android.

mustbepbs

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2014
Just use a different app. I use CloudMail and it looks really nice and is super smooth like the native Mail app. It has iOS 8 support too.

blhoward2

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
From their web site, that looks interesting. So they just scoop up your Gmail then push it to you through their servers? When you send or reply, does it still appear to the recipient as coming from Gmail?

Not only can't they tell, it's transparent to you. I actually forgot that I was using it the other day when I set my new phone up.

rbf1138

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2007

I signed up for NuevaSync but it didn't seem like push was working instantaneously the way it used to when I had my old, grandfathered device.

Can the people using NuevaSync to forward gmail confirm that it pushes instantly to the default Mail app?

blhoward2

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
I signed up for NuevaSync but it didn't seem like push was working instantaneously the way it used to when I had my old, grandfathered device.

Can the people using NuevaSync to forward gmail confirm that it pushes instantly to the default Mail app?

That's not normal for them. I just tried a work email (direct to an exchange server) and it also failed to push, so I wonder if Apple's push service is having trouble.

Edit: Resetting my device seemed to fix notifications (through both), so it must be a bug. Maybe try that. After resetting, my phone received a push from Nuevasync within 5 seconds of the email shoing through the gmail website.

Last edited:

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2011
I switched off push on the gmail app and went back to push in native mail.app for my gmail.

It's a work account so its part of gmail exchange and google work. I have had no trouble receiving push messages today. I have received them at the same time my desktop mail client gets them. Often faster than the gmail web interface itself!

I've given up on the gmail app for my personal gmail. I really miss push to the native app on non google apps/work accounts but i'm prepared to accept a 15 min interval. The experience with native mail is much faster and better formatted for good readability.

They will fix the gmail apps ugly scaling but its never really got any faster for me, even with background app refresh. I'm sick of that silly colour loading circle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.