Gmail users... iOS 7 Mail app or Gmail app?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by vaultwit, Sep 18, 2013.

1. vaultwit macrumors regular

Gmail users, will you use the iOS 7 Mail app and suffer the 15 minute fetch wait time, or use the official Gmail app and enjoy push email?

2. Ollifi macrumors regular

The Gmail app is the best one. It just works, and is simple.

3. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

4. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Thinking about forwarding my gmail to iCloud and using that...

5. Rogzilla macrumors regular

A while ago. They were grandfathering people in who were currently using it but only on the current phone they were using. I don't know if an OS change will cause that to go away. *

I do like the Gmail app because it filters things into catagories and I only get a notification if something pops into my main inbox.

*EDIT: Ah, I guess not! Good to know.

6. Bswartz95 macrumors 6502

Bswartz95

I still get Gmail push through the iOS 7 mail app.

7. vaultwit thread starter macrumors regular

There is one issue with the Gmail app that drives me up the wall. Whenever I get a new email, the red notification badge on the app icon sometimes doesn't go away even after opening the app and opening the new email. I have to open the app, and let it sit and refresh before the app realizes the new email has been read and removes the red badge icon.

----------

How???

8. oddnendz macrumors 6502

oddnendz

Actually Sparrow..... I have other e-mail accounts that dump into it . I rather check one app than 2 different apps for e-mail.

9. Stalyn macrumors regular

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

If you have push for Gmail on your device before iOS 7 you'll still have it with iOS 7.

As for Gmail app, aside from zooming that's not available and a few things of that nature, there's no offline mode either, so every time you go to it it needs to reconnect and get the same data again, unlike the native Mail app.

11. Cowboy1629 macrumors regular

Cowboy1629

When I get my new device I will have gmail forward to my @icloud account and use my gmail as the sent address so all should work as it does now with exchange. As others have said, if you don't change your device and you were grandfathered in, exchange will continue to work.

12. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Outlook.com(Hotmail) supports Push. I just set that up in iOS 7 mail and forwarded my gmail to it. Problem solved.

13. Black Magic macrumors 68000

Black Magic

This kinda strays from the original question but I migrated away from Google/Gmail entirely. I now use only iCloud and Outlook.com for mail. Getting email instantly in one mail app is very nice.

14. Cougarcat macrumors 604

It disappeared for me. No idea why.

I hate using a third party mail app because of the way notifications have to be formatted.

15. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

iOS 7 Mail app will be the best way to consume email on any platform... anywhere. Trust me.

16. dylzen macrumors member

dylzen

I use the Gmail app and I love it. I don't feel the need to switch to another app, and I tested the stock one, Sparrow and Mailbox among the others.

17. pauliaK macrumors regular

pauliaK

I use them both. Gmail is for push notifications and for everything else I use a native app.

18. Thierry ba macrumors 6502a

Default IOS7 app all the way. Create @outlook.com account and set it up under settings. Redirect all your gmail accounts to that @outlook.com account. It works like a charm. :D

19. T-Will macrumors 6502a

T-Will

I really like Mailbox.app, but no label support (yet). :(

20. TL24 macrumors 6502a

TL24

Default iOS 7 mail app all day! It's so much better than what we were used to in iOS 6 and below it's not even funny.

I've used Mailbox and Gmail but always found myself back on the iOS 7 mail app, it just works so much better than before.

21. applesith macrumors 68020

applesith

I'll keep both, as I need the "send from" options in Gmail for work.

22. silver25u macrumors member

I switched to the built in mail app because the fonts are way too small. They fix that and I'll switch back.

23. mattdo93 macrumors 6502

mattdo93

Gmail all day. The Inbox sorting into different categories is so freaking useful and Gmail works so well with Chrome