Golfshot App Apple Watch try out

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Apps' started by prycop, Apr 26, 2015.

1. prycop macrumors member

Had a round of golf today with Golfshot app on my watch. It uses the phone's gps to give a distance to the green, this info is abailable on the watch.

It gave very accurate yardage (from phone location - not watch).

Very low battery use, played 18 holes and iPhone 6 still on 96% charge - phone used about 5% in the 4hrs.

Only gripe was the inability of the app to easily change holes, not automatically realising that you'd moved on.

Overall, accurate with low battery use on phone and watch, no need to buy a dedicated golf gps device now!

2. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

3. prycop thread starter macrumors member

Not too bad! Concentrating on the watch rather than the golf :)

4. danny3103 macrumors member

worth the £19.99 price tag? There's a few that are free so can't see the advantages of golfshot

----------

Sorry didn't realise there's 2 different apps for golfshot

5. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

6. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

Were you able to record your score on the Watch? Are you able to save distances for clubs? How do you advance to the next hold? Is it as simple as just swiping? This one app is what is causing me to buy the Watch. I play golf all the time and use the Golf GPS app but hate having to drag my phone out of my pocket whenever I get to my ball.

7. prycop thread starter macrumors member

You can swipe the watch on the green and add a score + or - to par, this syncs to the phone app. After doing this you can tap to move on to the next hole.
    I couldn't move the app to the next hole without inputing a score - it didn't logically work out that you were moving away from the green to the next tee.

When setting up on the phone you set distances for particular clubs, the watch then suggests the club to use for the distance to green etc.

8. spampy22 macrumors member

This is one of the main reasons I bought the watch. Will be using it tomorrow and will provide feedback as well. I have been using Golfshot for 3 years now so this is great!

9. prycop thread starter macrumors member

Main snag for me was that it took the gps from the phone (obvious), my phone was in my bag so, I was measuring from my bag to the pin not from my position. This happened twice when I left my bag and walked back to a tee. just need to remember to park the bag by the ball!

10. bobob macrumors 68030

bobob

Does the app make use of the Apple Wacth's accelerometer for any biomechanical analysis?

11. dubv23 macrumors member

The App Store says that golf shot can also record distance of your shot by starting the gps and stopping recording when you get to your ball. I used the app but failed to try this feature. I assume it's accessible through force touch which I keep forgetting about.

----------

Also. Do you play with your phone in your pocket still? I have a 6 plus that I was hoping to avoid having to carry around.

I was excited that I could leave my phone in my bag but there were times I was too far away from my bag and it wouldn't load.

12. danny3103 macrumors member

I think you have to have the paid membership to get gps lengths and club suggestions?

13. prycop thread starter macrumors member

Yes that's correct - but there is a trial so that you can see how it works.

14. dubv23 macrumors member

Used it again today and confirmed that force touch will allow you to see distance to hazards, gps of hole, and track distance of shot.

15. dedufour41 macrumors regular

dedufour41

Can't wait to test this out!

Where do you keep your phone?

16. danny3103 macrumors member

Can you track scores for more than 1 person?

17. dubv23 macrumors member

Lately I've been keeping my phone in my back pocket for more accurate gps. If I'm using a push cart it will stay in my bag but I've been riding lately so it has been on me.

I did leave it in my bag on the cart one round and it was alittle slow to update scores and yardage a were alittle off so I switched to carrying my phone.

I played one round where I had two players on the scorecard but the watch only let me track myself. I would have to try again to be sure.

18. yellolab macrumors member

Tried this out yesterday- it works pretty good.
    My only bitch is that 5 times during my follow through the watch took screenshots- I could hear the shutter, and sure enough there was pics on my phone.
    So my bent wrist must be pressing the crown and side button at the same time.
    Wonder if this can be disabled?

19. dedufour41 macrumors regular

dedufour41

Not that I'm aware of, but they should let you disable that.

Where did you keep the phone?

20. yellolab macrumors member

I was walking, so kept the phone in my bag. I think the golf glove is the culprit.

21. dubv23 macrumors member

Same thing happened to me. I had about five screenshots saved

22. ianrip macrumors 6502

ianrip

work:Oyu Tolgio, Home:LOS, From Scotland G15
    Guys Which App
    • Golfshot:Golf GPS + Scorecard
    • Golfshot Classic

23. yellolab macrumors member

•Golfshot:Golf GPS + Scorecard

24. dubv23 macrumors member

Sometimes I feel like it takes too long for the yardages to update on the watch or that it differs by 20 yards from what a playing partner is reading.

Hopefully it's just an update to fix

25. prycop thread starter macrumors member

Measured mine from 150 and 100 yds marker posts and it was very accurate.
    Did take a second ot two to update - I think it 'asks' the watch for the yardage when you glance.