Gonna be a bust?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by RodDavies, Jan 14, 2015.

1. RodDavies macrumors regular

RodDavies

I can't help but feel that after the initial bask of glory sales boom, these are going to be sort of a bust.

Most of us willingly update/upgrade our phones and ipads etc coz newer ones offer more functionality, are designed better (or at least differently) etc, but one of my main wants when doing that is better battery life,

The fact remains that apparently the watch is going to need nightly recharging. That's a killer for me. Having to recharge it every night, otherwise the main function of a watch, to tell the time, after all, is lost? C'mon! That's rubbish.

And I still think the iPhone itself replicates most of what the Watch functionality gives me. SO why would I need the 2 devices? To do the same thing....

And then there is the tonka toy look of the homescreen with all those little round icons. From Apple? Seriously, this looks horrendous. Imagine buying a Gold Apple Watch, to have this monstrosity of a homescreen on it? It's just awful.

Ooooh, my wife just buzzed me her heart beat? A private 'message' just for me....Woopee....

No-one I know who has an i-anything is remotely interested in a Watch, me neither I am afraid.

2. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

If you only see the functions as gimmicky then it's not for you.

I think the nightly charging limitation would really be because of usage. If people are constantly using the apple watch, they would obviously be making good use out of their purchase.

The heart beat gimmick you refer to holds a clue as to how useful this device might be. Recording your heart beat throuout the day is obviously very useful in monitoring your health.

This device might tank but so what if it does? It's not the next Amazon Fire phone. There is strong interest already.

Plus, they did an excellent job on the design. A watch is typically a fashion accessory and the other smart watches don't match up to this asthetically.

3. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

You just don't get it, much like many people here who slammed the band on iPhone 6's back. But thank for showing that to us honestly anyway.

4. RodDavies thread starter macrumors regular

RodDavies

I 'get' the elegance of design and of Apple design in particular. You TELL me, the homescreen on the Apple Watch looks good to you with all those little circular bubbles on a, basically, rectangular watchface? Maybe YOU just don't 'get' it.

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I agree the circular icons don't look particularly elegant, but then, if they were square or rectangle, I doubt they'll look much better. It's not the shape of the icons, but that there are too many colors, because all the apps have different colors, and different designs.

However, I expect that most of the time, the watch will be showing the watch face, and we'll only see the home screen when we are switching apps. As such, I think the not so elegant home screen is tolerable. I mean, what would you suggest for showing the maximum number of apps in a minimum space?

6. FischerBlack macrumors newbie

FischerBlack

Obviously it is a matter of taste. I think the homescreen looks delightful with the crispy, vivid colored icons.

I think the watch will be a success and people have a hard time getting it since the known features are not "mind blowing" but only "quite useful".

Think about it, when you have gotten used to quick actions on interactive notifications on the watch its gonna feel like a pain to pull your phone out of your pocket/bag every few minutes when it buzzes like you do now.

When you pay in the store by waving your wrist at the terminal you are gonna feel the same thing.

Point is, when you get used to do stuff that is EASIER to do on the watch than on your phone you are gonna have a hard time to go back to only use your phone.

7. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

Basic rule, it doesn't matter how many people don't like a thing what matters is how many do like it. I don't get android phones, but still they sell by the bucket load. My dislike of them simply doesn't matter.

8. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

How often will people be looking at the 'home' screen on their Watch? You'll choose a watch face, customize it and that's what you'll see most of the time.

9. matrix07, Jan 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2015

matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Yes. You simply don't get it. Like I said, Much like nerds here who claimed the band on the back of iPhone 6 was ugly, they mistook their taste as a gospel truth. I am a graphic designer. Leaves personal taste aside, the home screen of :apple:Watch is pretty elegant. In addition it now became an icon for :apple:Watch, as demonstrated on the cover of Vogue China. Now when anyone see a watch with this kind of circular icons they will think of :apple:Watch. Mission accomplished for a software design, I say.

Look at this here. Now playful graphic like this can be associated to :apple:Watch. Genius!
    [​IMG]

Now when you think of Android Wear, what picture is in your mind? What is its icon? I can think of none. THAT is a lousy design.

10. RodDavies thread starter macrumors regular

RodDavies

Me? I would prefer the simple 4 tiles per screen of the iPod for example that you could swipe through one screen after another, rather than the one cluttered hyper colourful round small icons we have seen as the Watch homescreen

----------

Gee, people that don't agree with your taste are nerds? OK. You're a graphic designer? I am impressed. Yeah, right. I am a Travel agent. So I MUST HAVE no taste as I am not a graphics designer. You design FOR personal taste. Yours. Your taste, though, is not gospel truth, I take it. I DO agree with you re Wear.

11. telefono macrumors 6502

telefono

Well Said

12. matrix07, Jan 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2015

matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

If Apple did THAT, you should be worried about Apple future.

Nope. I'm simply saying many time people were taken aback by a BOLD design. And you shouldn't mistake that for a BAD design. That's all.

13. RodDavies thread starter macrumors regular

RodDavies

Yeah, the iPod was a flop.

----------

Incidentally, I do LOVE your playful graphic above. It's nice. But ON a watch I don't want a playful graphic, I want a functional elegance at the likely prices Apple will charge.

14. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

That has nothing to do with it, and you know it.

15. RodDavies thread starter macrumors regular

RodDavies

Perhaps you could have said that rather than branding us nerds!

16. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Of course the watch will have apps and you need a way to organize them so Apple chose this honeycomb design which I actually think is quite interesting. But the watch really shouldn't be about swiping through screens of app icons. This device should really be about relevant things being pushed to you and the glances that you set up, not having to launch apps to get information. Sure when something pops up on your screen you might have to 'launch' the app in order to complete a task but very little of the watch interaction (outside of things like the music and health app) should be about the user having to initiate things. If it is then that's a fail on Apple's part IMO.

17. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I had the square iPod nano for a while. For me, swiping through screens to get to an app got old fast. The circular layout of the Apple Watch app icons looks like it will be faster than swiping screens. I'm looking forward to trying it.

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't think it will fail, but I also don't think it will be an over night sensation where everyone needs to have one.

I think price, will pay a major factor. If it is as expensive as the rumors postulate then that will definitely limit the market.

I'd also say function, what can it do, will play a roll. For instance, running, you can use this with the health app to track your running - provided you take your iPhone with you, so you get GPS. Well why not just take your iPhone on a run and not deal with the watch (or get one, such as the fitbit surge that has GPS and a heart monitor for less $$)

Form is another issue, watches need to be durable, how water proof will it be, how will it handle the knocks and drops that could occur.

19. banyanjd macrumors newbie

The key: not reaching / holding / swiping your iPhone literally 50 LESS times EACH day.

That's 250 times each week. 1000 less per year.

This is a war of syntax over the meaning of 'watch'

20. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

It's a hard thing for tech loving Apple following folks, when Apple creates a product not necessarily seemingly primarily designed for them.

Apple's gone beyond their normal area with the watch deliberately - fashion, a wider market. As the iPhone owner market is made up of a vast majority of less technical people (in contrast to the smaller tech savvy group that likely were early adopters), so the Watch will.

The profit margin on fashion is pretty sweet - How many tablets does a competitor need to make to match the profit from one Apple gold watch with accompanying accessories?

Apple don't care too much about people who don't want one, if there are lots that do. It's a free choice to buy one.

21. Unconsoled macrumors regular

I don't mind charging every night if that is indeed the case. Obviously we still don't know so that is the speculation. I take my watch off at night now and will still do that with the watch. Doesn't seem like a big deal to me to charge it when I take it off. I usually charge my phone every night whether it needs it or not so I am not sure what the fuss is about charging it every night. It is 6 or 7 hours I am not wearing it anyway.

My 2 cents.

22. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I think there will be an initial buying frenzy as per usual. Not up to Phone standards, but enough to make TV news, and see people showing them off to the Camera.

Initially there will be excitement wearing it, playing and fiddling, showing your friends what you have, and playing with the new novel features.

Personally, I think sales will slow reasonably quickly, not stop, but I think there will be a general slow down simply because not everyone who is into Apple actually will want one.

Likewise, it's only a subset of actual iPhone users can actually make use of it at all.

Its a non seller to everyone else.

This may not matter, and I'm sure Apple expects sales to be a little dulled after a while.

What will be interesting I think is what percentage of owners will still be charging and wearing the watch months later.

I honestly think there will be a fall off in this department as a percentage will just realise their phone does it all anyway, and hey they are having to carry is anyway, and the revert back to either no watch or their preferred fashion watch they currently wear.

I'd think the above was a reasonable fair scenario.

23. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Probably reverting to no watch, for people who still wear watches, especially high end ones I don't see the :apple:watch as competing that well.

I do think that there will be a decently large initial uptake, and Apple is smart enough that I expect them to limit supply enough that stores start to run out and they get the headlines about how popular it is that it is selling out. But long run I expect it to be similar to the :apple:TV where it doesn't see huge uptake, but it sells enough to not be a failure either.

24. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

I would say it is hard for any of us to fairly assess the success as none of us have used it. I'm excited to try some sort of smart watch or band based on my assessment of when I DON'T want to use my phone or when it isn't safe to...

during meetings (no more phone buzzing constantly in my pocket or on the table distracting me as well as everyone else)

while driving (yes my phone is visible in the car, but usually set to Waze. Will be nice to see who may be texting or emailing in case it is something important I may need to pull over to read)

Any social event where it may be rude to pull out my phone for anything other than making a call (movies, dinners, parties...it just seems like it will be more polite)

I don't mind the home screen since like some have mentioned, it is simply there for setting up apps most of the time. Sure, you may have to go to it to start the music app or some other app not tied to your watch face, but the watch is so customizable, I don't see many people spending an exorbitant amount of time on it.

I'm less concerned about charging at night (I would like to track sleep patterns) than what the charge time is from empty to full. Will I be able to charge it in one-half hour while I s*h*I*t, shower and shave? That's more important to me.

I think it will be a huge success, not only at launch but throughout the rest of the year as I imagine there will not be enough modules or band combinations for what people will want...backorders galore. I hope not as I will probably pick up a basic sport version with black band just to try it.

25. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Yes, I have said this, and with this 1st product I'm certain this will be a plan they can use if they wish.

No way on earth are Apple going to want the media reporting no shortage of Apple Watches, All stores have ample stock, No need to queue.

The strongly hints "not many people are interested"

And as a brand new device, no way on gods earth will they want that.

Apple are not stupid, they won't hold back supplies to hard sales, but I'm 100% certain, there is a plan in place to gently limit supplies with just the right balance, so that all reports show you can get them, but some stores don't have all models on the shelves instantly to give the impression everyone wants one.

They may not do this and they may not need to do this, but I'm sure it's a plan that will be put into action if needed to keep things looking great in the media.