Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
I think Piggie has a point, It is called a smart watch! not a bracelet... I get a kick out of how many times in these forums I have read: they wouldn't, I'm sure they will fix it by release, Excuse, excuse, and excuse when it comes to Apple. I may be older, but I still remember when "The customer was always right " ; Not " you will deal with what we give you" Wouldn't it be great if we didn't have to always guess and could be sure of what we are buying?

You're missing my point drastically...

This thing has its own battery. It has its own processor. One of the FEW things that this processor has to do is keep accurate time. It sounds like it occasionally runs queries through the iPhone of what the official Greenwich Mean Time is. Probably is does not often have to self adjust after receiving this data... & if so, likely by microseconds.
If you agree with Piggie that... given a few hours disconnected from the phone, Apple Watch will randomly & wildly deliver incorrect time... Well, honestly- there's not much hope for either of you.
Lol, I guess you've never owned a $10 digital Timex. They slip at most a few minutes per year. Why on God's green earth would Apple Watch be WORSE than that..?? It's unfathomable.
Nobody has to "apologize" for Apple by stating:
The Apple Watch, while connected to an iPhone will keep the most precise time imaginable! However, given a few months disconnected from the phone, it may vary by a fraction of a second... rest assured, the moment it reconnects, the time will go back to that insanely precise time keeping.
I reiterate... current digital watches lose perhaps 1/1000 second per day, it would take YEARS for an owner to even realize that it is even slightly off. We can expect at least that level of accuracy not attached to the phone.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Lol, I guess you've never owned a $10 digital Timex. They slip at most a few minutes per year. Why on God's green earth would Apple Watch be WORSE than that..?? It's unfathomable.

I reiterate... current digital watches lose perhaps 1/1000 second per day, it would take YEARS for an owner to even realize that it is even slightly off. We can expect at least that level of accuracy not attached to the phone.

I never understood why the clocks on motherboards were so poor, one would think given all the circuitry they would be dam good, but I recall, before internet time syncing how poor computer were at keeping accurate time, given as you righty say a cheap watch can be so good.

I did not say the watch would be inaccurate, I was, if I remember correctly as it was some time ago this was being talked about questioned Apple's sales patter, when they went on about how super amazingly, never been seen before levels of precision for timekeeping the Apple watch would be.

Which sounds great. Then you discover that, reality is a little different, and it's only this accurate when connected via an iPhone to the Internet.
Whilst, whilst not a lie as such, is, let's just say "headline misleading"

camtechman56

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2015
Warren, pa.
You're missing my point drastically...

This thing has its own battery. It has its own processor. One of the FEW things that this processor has to do is keep accurate time. It sounds like it occasionally runs queries through the iPhone of what the official Greenwich Mean Time is. Probably is does not often have to self adjust after receiving this data... & if so, likely by microseconds.
If you agree with Piggie that... given a few hours disconnected from the phone, Apple Watch will randomly & wildly deliver incorrect time... Well, honestly- there's not much hope for either of you.
Nobody has to "apologize" for Apple by stating:
The Apple Watch, while connected to an iPhone will keep the most precise time imaginable! However, given a few months disconnected from the phone, it may vary by a fraction of a second... rest assured, the moment it reconnects, the time will go back to that insanely precise time keeping.

No! what I agree with Piggie is that this is a watch, and many of the people in this forum sounded like if it didn't keep time, it would be no problem. I'm sorry but if I buy a product; that product had better do what it is advertised to do! I don't accept less, and no one else should. Be it Apple, intel, microsoft, android, or even planters peanuts.

I know it is unlikely that the watch would lose time that drastically, but they do advertise " a time piece " , and I also realize with out the phone it will not have any feature that I want except telling time.

Last edited:

camtechman56

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2015
Warren, pa.

It sure was a good read! But with all the good things in that story, the watch hasn't been released yet, and Apple isn't releasing much new info. Was the author an apple tester with first hand knowledge? the story reads like fifty I have already read that are just repeating the what others are saying. I am going to but the 42mm grey aluminum watch, but unlike others I will make up my own mind. I hope that all the information and functions Apple claim are there, because it would be great.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
I can't help but feel that after the initial bask of glory sales boom, these are going to be sort of a bust.

Most of us willingly update/upgrade our phones and ipads etc coz newer ones offer more functionality, are designed better (or at least differently) etc, but one of my main wants when doing that is better battery life,

The fact remains that apparently the watch is going to need nightly recharging. That's a killer for me. Having to recharge it every night, otherwise the main function of a watch, to tell the time, after all, is lost? C'mon! That's rubbish. And I still think the iPhone itself replicates most of what the Watch functionality gives me. SO why would I need the 2 devices? To do the same thing....
And then there is the tonka toy look of the homescreen with all those little round icons. From Apple? Seriously, this looks horrendous. Imagine buying a Gold Apple Watch, to have this monstrosity of a homescreen on it? It's just awful.
Ooooh, my wife just buzzed me her heart beat? A private 'message' just for me....Woopee....
No-one I know who has an i-anything is remotely interested in a Watch, me neither I am afraid.
Here is a link to a little ditty..... it's not about the apple watch but you can certainly apply it to ANY product you are gazing your eye upon...... FF to 1:17 for the most important part.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKIcaejkpD4

I for one will be happy to get mine on my birthday!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.