Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dan9700

Suspended
Original poster
May 28, 2015
So after a lot i saw online i actually went down to my apple store today and they had nee macbook pro on display next to the 2016 one and mine 2016 went in repair 3 times for keybaord problems so i got my money back brought the new 2017 one now i can confirm guys the keyboard is different it looks the same but it has much more click feel i tryed both next to each other and its noticeably diffrent has made me happy, after clicking on the 2017 one i went back to the 2016 and it felt horrible so good news for anyone buying new one

mrmiketheripper

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2015
FL
but you had to return your's correct? I bought mine open box from best buy, i don't think I can do that. i even just had an issue with my O key getting stuck during my vacation (it fixed itself but still). i bought mine in March of this year.

dan9700

Suspended
Original poster
May 28, 2015
but you had to return your's correct? I bought mine open box from best buy, i don't think I can do that. i even just had an issue with my O key getting stuck during my vacation (it fixed itself but still). i bought mine in March of this year.
Do what i did get 3 repairs done at apple with in ur warranty then by law after 3 repairs they have to give you brand new machine or your money back thats what i did and then brought new one :)

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
It might be the thinner butterfly mechanism they updated on the 12" ifix it posted about and they could also be updated on the refreshed 2017.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
As someone who didn't like the rMB's keyboard at all, I'm adjusting fairly well to this 2017 keyboard. It's only been a day so far though.

What's been screwing me up is the force touch trackpad. Start a drag operation, gen it clicks "through", canceling the drag. So frustrating. Had to set the trackpad to its stiffest setting to mitigate this.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
It might be the thinner butterfly mechanism they updated on the 12" ifix it posted about and they could also be updated on the refreshed 2017.

I think the thinner butterfly mechanism only relates to the MacBook. I believe the MBP was already using the thinner ones when they released with v2 last year.

Reactions: mattopotamus

BuCkDoG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2013
Well I should go down to the Apple Store then and go check out the new keyboard to see for myself! Thanks for the feedback! :)

dilutedq

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
So after a lot i saw online i actually went down to my apple store today and they had nee macbook pro on display next to the 2016 one and mine 2016 went in repair 3 times for keybaord problems so i got my money back brought the new 2017 one now i can confirm guys the keyboard is different it looks the same but it has much more click feel i tryed both next to each other and its noticeably diffrent has made me happy, after clicking on the 2017 one i went back to the 2016 and it felt horrible so good news for anyone buying new one
There was no difference between 2017 and my 2016 15" MBP.

Super Xander

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2016
Denmark
But could it be a good sign for 2016 MBP owners, if they have changed the mechanism a little? A replaced keyboard on the 2016 one will get the new "fixed" mechanism as the 2017 one?

Reactions: SDColorado

BuCkDoG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2013
I can now confirm there definetely is a difference in the keyboard between the 2016 model and the 2017 model. Yes it is a very small difference but there is a difference. When I started typing in the 2017 I immediately noticed the difference between the keyboards and also ran the stress test and did not get any sticking keys thus far. Will keep everyone updated!

Reactions: jerryk

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
I can now confirm there definetely is a difference in the keyboard between the 2016 model and the 2017 model. Yes it is a very small difference but there is a difference. When I started typing in the 2017 I immediately noticed the difference between the keyboards and also ran the stress test and did not get any sticking keys thus far. Will keep everyone updated!

Round and round we go. The only thing that will truely settle the debate is a teardown of the keyboards.

Reactions: SDColorado

BuCkDoG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2013
Round and round we go. The only thing that will truely settle the debate is a teardown of the keyboards.

I'm telling you if you have both of the keyboards side by side which I did in the Apple Store you can definetely notice the difference. Lisa Gade from MobileTechReview said in her review that she also felt the difference in the keys. Again I'm not talking a dramatic change but there definetely is a difference that is noticeable and distinguishable.

nph

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2005

Was this on the 13" or 15" models?

dan9700

Suspended
Original poster
May 28, 2015
I am telling you there is a difference it feels more like a click

BuCkDoG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2013
I am telling you there is a difference it feels more like a click

Yes I agree now that I have tried it and compared it side by side I definetely agree.
Was this on the 13" or 15" models?

This was on the 15" models side by side at the Apple Store.
[doublepost=1497224678][/doublepost]
I would love to see some real evidence and facts on this
The evidence is you trying them side by side. I can try to make a video but it's more of a touch and feel versus a video to understand the difference but there is a difference.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
The evidence is you trying them side by side. I can try to make a video but it's more of a touch and feel versus a video to understand the difference but there is a difference.

Yes, but you have to agree there were some contradictions in reports here, and outside MacBook Pro forums - there are almost no mentions of the difference. Other than that MobileTechReview video (which suddenly now everyone trusts - I have nothing against Lisa, but judging from her Wacom reviews and from her reviews in general, I think she often makes wrong and very subjective conclusions and is a bit superficial in her analysis), no one even mentions the difference, and there are a ton of reviews online. In fact, almost everyone just mentions that "the same love-it-or-hate-it keyboard" on the new ones.

Now, some people say there is a difference, but again, the question is - is that difference a result of changes in design, or just standard variation between keyboards. And the second question is - is the new 'feel' a result of trying to solve certain issues, or is it just a side-effect of changing certain materials (that could be changed for various reasons - for example, the fans have a different surface in 2017 models).

If you think I'm biased, you're probably right - no one wants to hear that their product has a potential flaw that has been rectified in the follow-up generation. But even with that, the truth is that there is no concrete information here, only how people 'feel' about it, and I've learned not to trust anything that is based on subjective experience of others (I don't think anyone is intentionally trying to deceive anyone here, just that people - all of us - have flawed perceptions based on cognitive bias). As others, I would like to have some real information and repeating "there is a difference because I feel it" is exactly scientific.

BuCkDoG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2013
Yes, but you have to agree there were some contradictions in reports here, and outside MacBook Pro forums - there are almost no mentions of the difference. Other than that MobileTechReview video (which suddenly now everyone trusts - I have nothing against Lisa, but judging from her Wacom reviews and from her reviews in general, I think she often makes wrong and very subjective conclusions and is a bit superficial in her analysis), no one even mentions the difference, and there are a ton of reviews online. In fact, almost everyone just mentions that "the same love-it-or-hate-it keyboard" on the new ones.

Now, some people say there is a difference, but again, the question is - is that difference a result of changes in design, or just standard variation between keyboards. And the second question is - is the new 'feel' a result of trying to solve certain issues, or is it just a side-effect of changing certain materials (that could be changed for various reasons - for example, the fans have a different surface in 2017 models).

If you think I'm biased, you're probably right - no one wants to hear that their product has a potential flaw that has been rectified in the follow-up generation. But even with that, the truth is that there is no concrete information here, only how people 'feel' about it, and I've learned not to trust anything that is based on subjective experience of others (I don't think anyone is intentionally trying to deceive anyone here, just that people - all of us - have flawed perceptions based on cognitive bias). As others, I would like to have some real information and repeating "there is a difference because I feel it" is exactly scientific.

To be honest I don't think most people are even aware of the issue unless it's happened to them personally

To answer your first question, in my honest opinion, I would say it is a very small design change in the 2017 model versus the 2016 model to be perfectly honest. I originally bought the 2016 MacBook Pro 15" and loved it until the sticking keys issue happened when the machine hit 70 degrees Celsius while playing CS GO at 1680x1050 on all low settings. As soon as this started to happen and I was able to be repeat the issue every time, that is when I looked online and saw tons and tons of people having the same issue and which point I decided to return the computer. So yes overall I personally do think it is a very small design change.

To answer your second question, in regards to the feel, I would say it honestly it is a result of trying to address the sticking keys issue with the 2016 version. I understand as you are a 2016 owner that you probably don't want to hear that or believe that, but I am just telling you my honest opinion the matter. This key has more of a "click" when you press the key and after running several benchmark test and stress tests, I have yet to come across any sticking keys like I did on the 2016 model. Apple did not officially acknowledge the issue and could have silently made some minor adjustments to combat this but just generally speaking, I do believe this is their small effort to address any keyboard inconsistencies that they have seen. Keep in mind, the Apple Support forums had tons and tons of posts all discussing about the same issue so there has to be some credibility to an issue with sticking keys. Like I mentioned before, the best way for you to experience what we are discussing is to try them side by side for yourself. I was able to notice it immediately when I tried it and I have to admit I do like the tweaked keyboard much better.

maxsquared

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2009
London
I think it based on luck on how clicky the keyboard is.

Both me and my partner has a 2016 MacBook Pro each, one comes with an UK keyboard and another comes with an US keyboard, the UK keyboard is definitely more clicky than the US keyboard one that I have.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
I think it based on luck on how clicky the keyboard is.

Both me and my partner has a 2016 MacBook Pro each, one comes with an UK keyboard and another comes with an US keyboard, the UK keyboard is definitely more clicky than the US keyboard one that I have.

I don't think the nationality of the keyboard matters here :) Just kidding, I know what you meant - there are differences in the feel of keyboards in the same generation, so that makes things even more complicated.

polee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
I was so going to get the macbook pro non-touchbar. Now I think I am more likely to get the macbook 2017, m3 or i5. I would prefer the machine that will heat up less easily. Would that be the i5 or m3?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.