Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

glhughes

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2009
Implications of this for the 2017 12" MacBook?!

Should I expect it to be improved over the 2016 model?

The keyboard on the 2017 rMB is fantastic. I bought one to use around the office but like it so much that I'm thinking I might get another for home (to replace my 2016 MBP). It feels better than the keyboard on my 2016 MBP and it's infinitely better than the 2015/6 rMB keyboards. I held off on buying the 2015/6 rMB because of the keyboard. The gen-2 on my 2016 MBP is ok (when it works anyway), but the keyboard on my 2017 rMB is sublime.

Reactions: Saturn007

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Just got my 13" NTB today. I have to say I am liking the new style keyboard a lot. It's weird at first but my MacBook Air immediately feels so mushy and less stable now by comparison. But yeah, it's definitely louder (supposedly quieter than the 2016 though), could be an issue in certain situations. And the individual backlighting on the keys looks a lot cleaner than the old single backlight for the whole thing.

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
Having played around with this 2017 for the past couple days, I am even more convinced that they keyboard does feel different than the 2016 keyboard. I'm finding that not only do the keys feel more secure and planted very solid feel but the they are giving off a lot less click sound. I remember the 2016 was pretty loud typing but I'm hearing a much softer click sound on the 2017. I'm very happy with this keyboard.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
It's pretty frustrating they won't talk about this publicly…
And it's good to see some kind of change…

But I don't know what it means in terms of reliability or all of the variety of issues since they seem to want to sweep it under the rug rather than own up to the reality that there was something wrong (or they likely wouldn't have changed anything so quickly one would assume)

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
apple admitting something in public? ... more probable is that you will still hear "you are the first person complaining about it..."

Reactions: Queen6

Darkashnet

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2010
This again is why I don't buy first gen anything Apple. Whether they tweaked the keyboard or not (and it looks like they did a bit) it's always best waiting a bit to get something, unless you have the money to blow of course.

When the 2016 came I was in the market for a new MacBook, I went into the store had a little play on the keyboard and was like NOPE. 2017 revision came out and I went into the Apple Store and talked to them and did extensive tests because my old one needed replacing. The Apple Store employee told me that I can bring it back for full refund if I can't get on with they keyboard (of course), and he told me by the end of the day using it, I'll be used to it and enjoy using it.

Sadly, he was right.

Yes, i have the exact same return key (L shaped enter key) feels mushy, and less clicky. especially on the left side of the key.

You're right! I wouldn't say it's more mushy or feels any different, but the enter key does have a very slight different sound. I hadn't even realised we had a different enter key than what the Americans get, and just checked all Apple's promotion material has that same key. Why are we special?

But, the L enter key is more high pitched than the thump the rest of the keys have. Interesting.

Hackintosh Sr.

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2008
2017 macbook pro's keyboard a lot better feeling than 2016 MacBook Pro. I sure can tell the difference also. Feels like more travel and less "clicky". I did not like the MacBook and MacBook Pro keyboards of 2016. This key travel reminds me more of 2015, but still has room for improvement as I liked the keyboards before the butterfly redesign.

sguser

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2010
2017 macbook pro's keyboard a lot better feeling than 2016 MacBook Pro. I sure can tell the difference also. Feels like more travel and less "clicky". I did not like the MacBook and MacBook Pro keyboards of 2016. This key travel reminds me more of 2015, but still has room for improvement as I liked the keyboards before the butterfly redesign.

Can you clarify, are you talking about 13 or 15 inch model? I'm on 2016 13 and thinking whether I should just sell it and order 2017 model instead. I really don't like the feeling of the keys on my 2016 13''. I've been using it since November and still cannot get used to the keyboard.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I was at a Best Buy yesterday and playing with all the keyboards on the new 2017 models…

Just bums me out that I can sort of start getting used to the feel of thinking "hey this is OK" on all the MacBook Pros, but then I slide over and just use the magic keyboard that is in front of all the iMacs and it just feels so comfortable and wonderful in comparison.

Man I really wish they could have slotted the magic keyboard into the MacBook pros, at least the 15 inch ones

Hackintosh Sr.

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2008
Can you clarify, are you talking about 13 or 15 inch model? I'm on 2016 13 and thinking whether I should just sell it and order 2017 model instead. I really don't like the feeling of the keys on my 2016 13''. I've been using it since November and still cannot get used to the keyboard.

15" touchbar sorry

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
I can say that the new 15" Touchbar baseline 256GB model that I just picked up has a much quieter keyboard, and the feeling is completely different. It feels more solid that the 2016 that I sold two days ago. iFixit also has noted the difference.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-07-09 at 12.21.52 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-07-09 at 12.21.52 AM.png
    49.4 KB · Views: 175

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
So, I just tried the 2017 keyboard. Let me say straight away, that if I didn't pay specific attention to the difference, I would never noticed the difference between 2016 and 2017. However, I did - so there is a very slight difference. The 2017 has just slightly more muted keys than 2016. Honestly, I like this a bit less, but that's a thing of personal preference. Either way, it's really, really close.

Now, I don't know about reliability. As for the 'feel' of the keyboard, it is so close that I am now confident that those who claim how they "hated" the 2016 keyboard but "love" the 2017 keyboard are grossly overreacting. Either that, or their 2016 keyboards were faulty. But mostly, I think it's just placebo in effect.

The difference is very, very, very subtle. The key wobble is the same, the travel is exactly the same, the loudness is the same, there is just a slight, small difference when you click, and even that is barely noticeable.

Now, if anyone thinks I am biased or something, well, that is your right to think so. I can only tell you this is my honest opinion, and that I am very sensitive to small differences and details. These two keyboards are almost identical, if you pay real close attention you can kinda feel the difference but there is no way that you think one is cheap and other amazing, or that one gives you finger pains and other doesn't - if you're being objective.

My honest opinion is that this isn't a design change or improvement, this is just a side effect of slightly different manufacturing processes.

Feel free to disagree, this is my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nik

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
I would love to see some real evidence and facts on this
I don't have the link but an Apple Engineer explained it on Reddit. Many 2016 models are being serviced and given 2017 keyboards. You can tell buy the Control key (2017 has symbol).

FWIW, I am in this situation right now as my 2016 keyboard failed Apple diagnostics and was sent off for repair. I wish they would just give me a 2017 as I don't have time for multiple returns and missed use.

Frankfurt

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2016
USA
Let me chime in: I owned a 2016 15" MBP and now own the 2017 version. I had no specific issues with the 2016 keyboard. I do notice a difference to the 2017 one though: For me it is mostly the sound - the 2016 was "clacky" loud, the 2017 is more quiet. I cannot judge any distance in key travel. The feel when typing though is different: while with the 2016 you felt as hitting a "hard" surface when typing, the 2017 seems to have a "softer" touch to it.
If this is representative or just a variation within a range - I don't know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.