Goodbye Apple, after 9 Years of Loyalty

Eynox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2017
I don't have much to say in this letter, not even sure if this is the right place to post. I've bought almost every model of iPhone from the iPhone 3 in 2008, and loved mostly every experience of it.. until now. It seems everything's going to hell with Apple. I'll be searching for a downgrade of a phone, but I will no longer support this company, even if it means a worse phone experience.

I am still in shock from the release of the iPhone 8, and X. I feel like someone I was in a trustworthy relationship over a long period of time stabbed me in the back and walked away. I guess It's my fault for letting myself get attached to a company.

iPhone X isn't perfect. It is flawed, and Apple, if you truly think it's appropriate to ask your community to "get used to" or adjust to the akward black bevel on your "borderless screen" that.. by the way blocks videos and makes the experience inconvenient for an outstanding price you're wrong.

and about the iPhone 8.. well it's nothing special compared to the iPhone 6s. They're basically the same, with some small upgrades. Not worth the price.

What are your guys opinions about apples recent decisions? Am I the only one?

fathergll

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2014
The only thing you can do is vote with your wallet. I got my 8 and I like it a lot as an upgrade over my 6. BUT the design is old no doubt and its not where Apple should be but it's a good phone. Just FYI I have a S8 that I use for VR so I have a decent comparison for phones. I still rather have the 8 as my everyday phone over the S8.

Closingracer

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2010
The problem is....Android sucks. I see other phones I like, but I simply can not deal with Android.
How does Android Suck? I mean in an objective way? For about 99% of the population an Android device will do the same thing as an iPhone.

Facebook
Instagram
Snapchat
Twitter
Email
Web browsing
Photos
Videos
Video playback from Netflix or etc
Listen to music
Games
Etc

The only difference is how to get to it on the OS. Don't like Android execution fine but it doesn't suck for it the same way how ios does it doesn't suck.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
I don't have much to say in this letter, not even sure if this is the right place to post. I've bought almost every model of iPhone from the iPhone 3 in 2008, and loved mostly every experience of it.. until now. It seems everything's going to hell with Apple. I'll be searching for a downgrade of a phone, but I will no longer support this company, even if it means a worse phone experience.

I am still in shock from the release of the iPhone 8, and X. I feel like someone I was in a trustworthy relationship over a long period of time stabbed me in the back and walked away. I guess It's my fault for letting myself get attached to a company.

iPhone X isn't perfect. It is flawed, and Apple, if you truly think it's appropriate to ask your community to "get used to" or adjust to the akward black bevel on your "borderless screen" that.. by the way blocks videos and makes the experience inconvenient for an outstanding price you're wrong.

and about the iPhone 8.. well it's nothing special compared to the iPhone 6s. They're basically the same, with some small upgrades. Not worth the price.

You made an account just to say goodbye?

akash.nu

macrumors 604
May 26, 2016
How does Android Suck? I mean in an objective way? For about 99% of the population an Android device will do the same thing as an iPhone.

Facebook
Instagram
Snapchat
Twitter
Email
Web browsing
Photos
Videos
Video playback from Netflix or etc
Listen to music
Games
Etc

The only difference is how to get to it on the OS. Don't like Android execution fine but it doesn't suck for it the same way how ios does it doesn't suck.
The day to day experience of using android is lacklustre for me. Especially when one gets used to the convenience and seamless ecosystem of Apple.

The problem is there’s literally no competition in terms of ecosystem and once you’re invested into it you can’t move away from it.

Android as a platform has evolved a lot since the earlier days but it’s still not dependable enough for me to be my daily driver. iOS is just that tad bit more functional and reliable and when I’m spending my money on something I’d rather be completely satisfied.

With a Mac, iPad, iPhone and Apple TV , I’m all set with everything being available everywhere at my fingertips and when you get used to that level of convenience, you just can’t move anywhere else.

GuruZac

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2015
As other posters have said, you have a right to vote with your wallet but in my opinion, you are taking this way too personally. A phone or computer/electronics/software company should not dictate your feelings and emotions. At the end of the day, it’s a phone, a computer, software. Period. I’m not sure why so many are so offended by the iPhone X black bezel on top. I don’t see it as a compromise nor do I see Face ID as some sort of last minute panic move as some would suggest. There’s way too much tech involved for that to have just been a rushed mistake.

Stewie

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
Austin

Seems like judging the X before using it or even before any real reviews is silly.

akash.nu

macrumors 604
May 26, 2016
As other posters have said, you have a right to vote with your wallet but in my opinion, you are taking this way too personally. A phone or computer/electronics/software company should not dictate your feelings and emotions. At the end of the day, it’s a phone, a computer, software. Period. I’m not sure why so many are so offended by the iPhone X black bezel on top. I don’t see it as a compromise nor do I see Face ID as some sort of last minute panic move as some would suggest. There’s way too much tech involved for that to have just been a rushed mistake.
Well said. Completely agree. It’s not some last minute move. Face recognition to that extent takes years of perfection and investment in research and development. I don’t know what majority of people think how tech works in general. It feels like people just think one fine night a company just decides to implement something and the next day it’s done.

patricem

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2005
I bought a SNote 3 because I wanted a bigger screen, and Apple had no + phones at that time. Everything else I have is Apple. Take downloading pictures...omgosh, painful , cumbersome and frustrating. Yes i used air droid or whatever it was, but with iphone, its all done automatically. And the bloatware!! Honestly, it was maddenning. Android. If I could get Apple OS on other phones, I would buy, like the new Sony, I like. But Android is too painful for me to use. I can't even stand the thought of it.

alien3dx

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2017

i have 3 android phone and iphone and ipod.
Apple yes user experience is bad but simple. It may confuse it you move to android world

Iphone thumb print screen at the front pretty easy but
Android using at the back pretty annoying

Iphone are base on user hand.. So if thumb not rich high enough that why apple introduce back iphone se...
Android have back button.. so this is not major issue..
** safari also have back button to solve this issue

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: FFR and BigMcGuire

The Game 161

macrumors Core
Dec 15, 2010
UK
The problem is....Android sucks. I see other phones I like, but I simply can not deal with Android.
But android doesn’t suck though. It’s great for what it does it’s just different. It’s like saying IOS sucks if you have an android phone.

This frame of mind is why apple can get away with giving customers a worse product than others on the market as they know people will buy things because of the loyal fanbase
[doublepost=1506349460][/doublepost]
The day to day experience of using android is lacklustre for me. Especially when one gets used to the convenience and seamless ecosystem of Apple.

The problem is there’s literally no competition in terms of ecosystem and once you’re invested into it you can’t move away from it.

Android as a platform has evolved a lot since the earlier days but it’s still not dependable enough for me to be my daily driver. iOS is just that tad bit more functional and reliable and when I’m spending my money on something I’d rather be completely satisfied.

With a Mac, iPad, iPhone and Apple TV , I’m all set with everything being available everywhere at my fingertips and when you get used to that level of convenience, you just can’t move anywhere else.
This view point is what apple depends on...and why they can afford to charge what the hell they want. Which is wrong but people let them down it

Like having to pay £74 for just fast charging.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011

I'm not a fan of this year's models.

The ipX is expensive, doesn't have TouchID, has a Gen1 FaceID, the notch and the UI are not well-thought out, etc.

The ip8/+ are incremental improvements over the ip7 and the ip6s. Apple should have called this year's phones...the ip7s/+.

Apple did away with the middle tier 128gb models and I'm not liking that either. And raised prices.

My 6s still performs admirably so I will sit this year out. It's a 2 yr old phone, people...there's very little reason to buy a new phone. And not when is going cost me over $800.

Jumping to Android is hasty.

Last edited:

roeiz

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2010
yup. for me the differences are night and day.
i had an HTC android for 2 years and it was pretty dreadful.
IOS and apple built is still far more fluid and reliable.
apple really need to go a few levels down before i'll prefer Android.
(and i do have a PC ;) )

Closingracer

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2010

I'm not arguing preferences. You can like whatever you want but I'm just saying at this point both are very good at doing the tasks most people want. I love tech and no loyalty to Apple, Samsung, Google or Microsoft. I like tech and for at least this cycle I want a Note 8. Might go get an X if I can because it's cool as well. No need to say either sucks. This is like high-school where we must like something and hate the other...

eyedoc2020

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2015
NOVA
I am sticking with Apple for this launch. Ordered an 8 plus and will receive it tomorrow. I am a little worried about the crackling reports in the ear speaker with phone calls. If this happens and is not resolved I will be done with Apple. I will return in and go the the Note 8.