Goodbye, for now, dear iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by GerryPelser, Oct 25, 2012.

1. GerryPelser macrumors newbie

The new iMac that I’ve been waiting for so patiently is such a letdown, really disappointed. I feel cheated. I’ve just put in an order for a new power-tower PC, has everything I need and want, better specs but half the price of the big iMac.

I’ve been battling forever to move away from windows into the Mac environment, I hate bloody Windows same as everyone else, but when Mac sacrifices functionality for design, this is what happens. At least on my PC I can still burn DVDs (vital in my industry) without having to buy an external drive. Why do I have to buy an external accessory for an “all in one” machine? Maybe it should be “some-in-one”. Sorry Apple, I was ready to convert, but alas, I’m not going to. You cannot fulfil my needs just yet, so for now, I’m still giving money to Seattle as opposed to Cupertino. I’ll be back in a year or two for the 2014 or 2015 iMacs, maybe then you can make my wheels spin, but for now, an i7 ivy Bridge and a DVD burner wins over your amazingly sleek design. SD card at the back? Utterly impractical. USB 3 is nice and all, but will it change my workflow and make my life easier? No. Especially since I have to sacrifice at least one USB port to an external drive.

Goodbye, Apple, we’ll meet again in 36-odd months, when I’m done swearing like a drunken sailor on shore leave at PC, and I hope this time round, you will remember the graphic professionals whom you’ve made your name with.

2. MoreAwesomeDanU macrumors regular

MoreAwesomeDanU

how did you build one for half the price? an decent i7 ivy bridge setup would cost you around $1200 without a monitor. 27" ips is around the $800 range.

so sick and tired of people claiming windows PCs to be half the price.

3. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

I think it's pretty obvious Apple is getting out of the desktop business. You might be gone for a very, very, very long time.

4. Curren~Sea macrumors regular

Curren~Sea

You're not really in Apple's target market if you're not willing to pay a small premium for a better product. All I hear you saying is that it's too expensive.

5. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

I think Apple is really just getting into buy 'the device' no more upgrading. However-It really should be worth noting most people will be able to get 4 years of good use out of their machines, and more even after that. A lot of technology advancements reach a chasm after a few years anyway. I mean who is still upgrading their towers from 2006? 2008?

It's a trade to be sure, and to each his own. As for me I'm more of a laptop guy these days, but I have had a MDD G4 and two G5's in my days.

----------

Thanks for the giggle :)

6. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I am pretty sure that you do not have to check back. There still will not be a DVD burner in 3 years.

/Jim

7. Ak907Freerider, Oct 25, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012

Ak907Freerider macrumors 6502

Just bought a iMac and I priced out windows to they are both in same ball park for price. But build quality apple for the win, almost all windows pc is plastic junk. If your going to spend big money on a machine shouldn't u spend it on quality builds not run of mill black plastic case cheap looking monitor. Oh wait it has shiny colors totally worth it for high end pc lol ya right. Enjoy your windows 8 poor design and I hope your warranty tech speaks English .

How do you say not covered under warranty in India hmmm oh well when u hear let me know.

8. the8thark macrumors 68040

the8thark

I can agree with you on everything except the screen. Try to make a Windows box + a screen for less then an iMac price. Almost can't be done unless you compromise on screen quality. After using an iMac screen I'd not settle for anything less anymore.

9. inscrewtable macrumors 65816

inscrewtable

Wow you've been battling forever to move away from Windows but you have decided to work with a crap OS and bad quality ugly design simply because you don't want to use an external burner. That is really sad, especially as you can run a better burner that won't bring your machine down if it tanks. What GPU is going to be on your new purchase I wonder?

10. Ak907Freerider macrumors 6502

I know I don't miss the rat nest of cables from my old desktop pc

11. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

If you require a dvd drive for your work then the iMac is never ever going to meet your needs ever again. So you would have to buy an external drive, but the thought of that is so horific.

12. nagareru macrumors regular

I am one and that 680MX is going to be a beast in doing complex compositing and 3D stuff. As well as professional video/photo editing. The 756 will be screaming fast and the 32Gb ram (maybe 64?) will be awesome.

I have no idea why you cry, I know it sounds very arrogant but thats how this world is, if you can't pay it well, just go away.

13. smoking monkey macrumors 65816

smoking monkey

This.

OP... all because of an external burner? Hilarious. You were never gonna buy one anyway. I call troll.

14. JustMartin macrumors 6502a

So, OP, you didn't for the MBPro as you said you were going to do back in June for that sudden project?

15. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

Agreed

16. Icaras, Oct 26, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2012

Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

So far what we've learned from this thread alone:

1. The top BTO GPU on the top end 27" is going to be killer based on early benchmarks.

2. The lack of an ODD is easily remedied with a external solution (cheap if you get 3rd party).

What's ironic is that you went with a tower PC instead of another AIO design. So instead of just one external device with just one additional cable, you will have to connect an external display that will use two cables. So you're basically trading an ultra thin and small, external ODD peripheral that weighs less than a pound to a hulking tower thing that you'll have to find a place to sit. How does that even compare? So confused.

And it just sounds like you were never fully financially committed to an iMac in the first place.

17. Briax macrumors newbie

Hackintosh?

Hey OP,
    Have you ever thought of a hackintosh? I was looking forward to the new iMac as well, but honestly, i am not a big fan of the new design + the limited upgradeability! I started searching the web for an alternative, and I've heard about hackintoshes! I thought what the hell, and decided to buy compatible hardware for OS X.
    It runs like a charm! The full experience of OS X (dual boot windows or linux is possible), you can upgrade as you want, very powerful graphics options. I could not be happier with my decision and can only recommend it!

18. Scrapula macrumors 6502

Seattle instead of Cupertino? Microsoft is in Redmond. If you want to lump Redmond into Seattle, then just call Cupertino San Francisco instead.

When I built an equivalent PC with the Dell IPS 27" screen, I was at $3k. If I went with Dell's "All In One", it would cost me about the same as an iMac but come with a crappier GPU.

19. blanka macrumors 68000

OK lets compare fair!
    Grab a Mini with 2.6Ghz quad i7
    Grab a TB display
    Add 4Gb
    Together 1940$
    The most expensive iMac:
    1999$, and it is HALF AS FAST as it is a 4 thread instead of an 8 thread machine!
    Cant compare to BTO iMac options as they are unknown and unprized yet.

The first and cheapest setup is available right now.
    The second is probably in time for Christmas, and we don't know yet how the iMac will deal with its childhood diseases.

Apple kills its iMac from inside and from the bottom. Unbelievable.

20. indecisiveKid, Oct 26, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2012

indecisiveKid macrumors newbie

You've clearly got issues, Every Apple release you claim your buying, So you have 15" rMBP,Iphone 5 and now new iMac (This is after supposedly having some of the previous gens) yet your at Uni and in UK , Why do you need all these products? I presume mom and daddy are paying for you so you will never know the value of working hard.

The iMac is clearly a 2011 iMac that is slimmer on the edges!! FACT yet you will be too blind to see that it looks the same from the front of the iMac. As long as your ego is satisfied and mummy and daddy are bank rolling you what do you care?!?

PS I don't know any Uni guys able to afford what you claim you have/keep up to date every year. Good on ya keep making Apple rich

PS stop upping your own comments too, you do it all the time. Ego thing again?!

21. richman555 macrumors 6502

richman555

I think this thread is hilarious.

The new iMac is a computer lovers dream fully realized.

If you are looking for a box stuffed with upgradable parts, those days are on the way out my friend. The optical drive is also on the way out and still available for those who want it.

22. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Wow, let me count the fallacies:
    1) Comparing a mobile i7 in the Mini to the desktop i5 in the iMac
    2) Comparing Intel integrated graphics in the Mini to discrete Nvidia graphics in the iMac
    3) Asserting that the # of threads is the sole determining factor of the speed of a system

Did I miss anything?

The low Mini is a casual machine. The top Mini is a numbers cruncher. To compare them to an iMac is to compare a Jeep to a helicopter.. ok sure, they both can get you from point A to point B, but the situations where one is preferred over the other are very different.

23. jon9091 macrumors member

So, just get the 2011 27" and a big box of Kleenex. If you're really a Graphics Professional...you can just bill your clients for the wee bit longer it will take you to complete the same tasks on this "slower" machine. It's not like they are gonna know the difference.

24. inhalexhale1 macrumors 6502a

Agreed. I think people just throw that idea out there, and probably have never really built a PC. When you add the cost of all the components up, it's not as cheap as many make it out to be. Especially if you compare directly with an iMac purchase, which means you need to include the cost of a 27" or 21.5" high quality monitor, like one from DELL.

Of course it will last longer because you can replace parts as you go, but that's not initial cost to build vs. cost of iMac.

25. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

incase no one noticed, the op is no longer in the thread or the building. the other 3 posts made by the same poster are just as awesome as this one. just sayin...

dfttrolls.jpg

that is all, carry on if you wish. :)