Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
"Unlimited" is becoming one of those weird buzz words where everyone gets hard about the possibility and then realize they only upload 4-5gbs of photos in their lifetime.

Also, I read that the crowd "went nuts" over the whole drag and select thing. Huh.

Other than "Unlimited", it's no different than Apple. I take a photo. Photo is on Mac. I take the photo out of iCloud and store it on a hard drive or upload somewhere else. It took Google this long to finally say "Forget it. Lets just do what they did."

You must not take a lot of pictures of video. >_>;

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
Unlimited photo storage sounds damn awesome, shame is Google we're talking about. I think I'll stick with OneDrive; 15 Gigs free are perfect for my current needs.

Take note Apple.

fardeenah

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2013
i hope apple comes with something like that. i may migrate all my photos to google photo now from dropbox

ThaRagingAsian

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2014
They announced Android M, but all but my friends that have LG G3 are still on KitKat. and the guys with LG G3 that upgraded to Lollipop are have a bad experience. Hope M will be a good improvement.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I do! But I end up editing and saving maybe a fraction of them. I don't need 100+ gb of little snapshot, candid moments.

I want to store everything, though. So, really, it's all about what you want.

Edit: For the record, I'm storing all my pictures on my unlimited OneDrive account.

stol

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2011
Greece
Oh, they announce Android 'M'... cause, yeah... can you please remind me how many people use 'L' ?

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
A lot of  catch up.... I hope Apple copies Google and gives unlimited photo storage... A guy can wish, can't he?
Google wants photos to index, the more info they can get from their flock/sheep, the more they have to sell to their corporate customers. Follow the money.

Unlimited photo storage... now that's a game changer.
Already had it, as long as you resized to 2048 res.

Death2Atron

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2015
I want to store everything, though. So, really, it's all about what you want.

Edit: For the record, I'm storing all my pictures on my unlimited OneDrive account.

Right, so then it's no longer Apple or anyone else's problem that there's a lack of storage. That's your lifestyle, so you found a product that fit. It's not like Apple is a terrible company for charging money for storage. We all know they'll move away from that anyways.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Wow, for all the flack Apple takes for "copying" Google's stuff...

I just hope Apple follows suit on the unlimited photo storage. Or at least lowers their pricing. I'd gladly pay $5 a month for unlimited storage. I wonder what Google's privacy policies look like for their free storage?

Every time you up or download something, you get an ad?

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Right, so then it's no longer Apple or anyone else's problem that there's a lack of storage. That's your lifestyle, so you found a product that fit. It's not like Apple is a terrible company for charging money for storage. We all know they'll move away from that anyways.

I didn't mean to imply that Apple is horrible for doing what they're doing. I was simply pointing out that unlimited isn't useless.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
"Unlimited" is becoming one of those weird buzz words where everyone gets hard about the possibility and then realize they only upload 4-5gbs of photos in their lifetime.

Also, I read that the crowd "went nuts" over the whole drag and select thing. Huh.

Other than "Unlimited", it's no different than Apple. I take a photo. Photo is on Mac. I take the photo out of iCloud and store it on a hard drive or upload somewhere else. It took Google this long to finally say "Forget it. Lets just do what they did."

Can Apple Photos do all the background categorisation and processing that Google Photos does?

Can I write "me on the beach" and give me the pictures where I appear on a beach?

And, by the way, it is not a new app, it is just pulled off from Google Plus into an independent app

gorskiegangsta

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Apple just needs to suck it up on cloud pricing. They are embarrassingly stingy when it comes to cloud storage. And if they're going to continue to sell 16GB devices then they need to offer more and cheaper cloud offerings.

If Apple were to stick to their own "it just works" standards, they should have offered unlimited iCloud photo/video storage and have dropped the 16GB capacity long ago. Instead, they've been keen on saving a couple of bucks worth in NAND costs per device while ignoring the fact that people buy these devices in order to actually use them, and that 1080p video takes up a lot of space (e.g. a 3 min 1080p video at 18.9mbps bitrate can weigh as much as 500MB), not to mention the gazillion or so photos people tend to take in burst mode on a daily basis.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.