Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kc9hzn

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2020
What's different about the enterprise download vs regular download?
The enterprise installer contains all the files that install directly, it’s usually meant for things like pushing out the same file from a central server to all the devices you manage (so users don’t waste bandwidth downloading the same updates). The regular download bootstraps another download, so it can’t be used as an offline or automated installer, for instance.

Reactions: h.gilbert

MacProFCP

Contributor
Jun 14, 2007
Michigan
I have a problem guys. I have been using Google Chrome for the past couple of years. Recently though, it started to drain my battery so fast to the point my MBP M1 was just unusable without plugged in. It would even heat up which I have never experienced.

Well since a week I have been using Safari. It has no issues whatsoever with battery or memory. It does however have the problem of not having any good extensions that I need for my day to day use ( I am a front-end dev ). The other thing is the interface for developer tab is just not what I am used to.

So I'm asking you guys, is there some sort of a middle ground. Is there like a browser or solution that will get the best of both worlds? I read somewhere here about some guy switching to Orion, but I have not gone to test it out.

Chrome is the #1 browser and I can't understand why. It terrible and has been for years.

Safari is OK but too many websites don't work properly with it.

Firefox has been the best in my experience, but it's generally not as fast or clear as Safari.

Personally, I use Safari as a primary and Firefox as a backup. I try to keep Google off my computer as much as possible.

eicca

Suspended
Oct 23, 2014
Firefox has been the best in my experience, but it's generally not as fast or clear as Safari.

In my experience Firefox beats the crap out of Safari in the speed department. And every other department.

This is both on my ancient Mac Pro and my prior M1 MacBook Air.

It’s also way more flexible with extensions and the sync feature actually works.

Get Firefox.

/thread

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
I have a problem guys. I have been using Google Chrome for the past couple of years. Recently though, it started to drain my battery so fast to the point my MBP M1 was just unusable without plugged in. It would even heat up which I have never experienced.

Well since a week I have been using Safari. It has no issues whatsoever with battery or memory. It does however have the problem of not having any good extensions that I need for my day to day use ( I am a front-end dev ). The other thing is the interface for developer tab is just not what I am used to.

So I'm asking you guys, is there some sort of a middle ground. Is there like a browser or solution that will get the best of both worlds? I read somewhere here about some guy switching to Orion, but I have not gone to test it out.
Safari is super efficient, try to find better extensions if possible.

Reactions: WC7

SirAnthonyHopkins

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2020
No one has suggested Brave yet? Chromium-based but more lightweight, privacy focused and without any of Google’s crap. I’m a Firefox user generally on macOS but use Brave whenever I need to for compatibility reasons.

Reactions: Populus

kc9hzn

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2020

'Google Chrome bad, Safari also bad'

The new Opera One, even worse
Alas, Opera hasn’t been good since it became a Chromium browser (or perhaps when it was acquired by the Chinese firm around the same time). Opera used to be my preferred Windows browser back in the day (like, around Opera 9 and 10), but there’s no reason to use it over any other browser these days.

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
Chrome is the #1 browser and I can't understand why. It terrible and has been for years.

Safari is OK but too many websites don't work properly with it.

Personally, I use Safari as a primary and Firefox as a backup. I try to keep Google off my computer as much as possible.
Exactly this:
I use DuckDuckGo as search engine.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
No one has suggested Brave yet? Chromium-based but more lightweight, privacy focused and without any of Google’s crap. I’m a Firefox user generally on macOS but use Brave whenever I need to for compatibility reasons.
I used brave but still face comparability issues. My preference is safari by default, Firefox/chrome if I am forced to use. I like brave Better on iPhone and iPad.

Reactions: SirAnthonyHopkins

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
edge is garbage, I loved that in 2019 like the...
maybe bill billickeck the patriots coach also runs edge?
ill ask the espn.....then bono

need time...

timeislove

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2020
I personally use Ad Guard for Safari. Before that, was using Block for Chrome. I have not noticed any issues with blocking ads on both.
Try uorigin for chrome which is very good and less a resource hog!

Ad guard works well for both chrome and safari!

timeislove

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2020

Used to be a chrome user! I have a low end netbook running Linux. Chrome is too much for an old computer. Firefox is of good balance!

I prefer safari for Apple ecosystem! It is fast, supports reader mode and translation natively! The most of all, it is compatible with Apple Pay for shopping on web!

What extension you exactly looking for?

Jay Tee

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2023
I recommend trying Thorium browser. https://thorium.rocks/

It is a Chromium browser BUT.... it syncs Google accounts. It's faster, lighter, but with all of the support for extensions that Google Chrome supports.

It's fast, but there are security question marks.

When it comes to critical apps, like a web browser, it's better to get one from the App Store. Failing that, get one from HomeBrew. Thorium should be fine, but just needs more consensus on its security credentials.

What I really want is uBlock Origin on Safari, but I doubt that'll happen anytime soon.

Jay Tee

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2023
What extensions did you try? Personally I am very happy with AdGuard o both iPhone and Mac. For apps on the phone I use Lockdown on demand.
I've purchased WIPR, and had AdGuard before.

WIPR is a bit flaky. It used to be good on dailymail.co.uk, then it wasn't working, now it seems ok again.

I was on AdGuard for a couple of years, but there was something fishy about it; but I don't recall now what it was. Also, it slowed down my browsing experience.

telo123

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2021
What extensions did you try? Personally I am very happy with AdGuard o both iPhone and Mac. For apps on the phone I use Lockdown on demand.
I prefer AdGuard for Mac (not for Safari). The system wide adblocker is better.

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
edge is garbage, I loved that in 2019 like the...
maybe bill billickeck the patriots coach also runs edge?
ill ask the espn.....then bono

need time...
This is my initial impression. After changing some settings in preference, it goes smooth & fast.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.