Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alanvitek

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2021
I’ll echo that Firefox, especially the blue Developer edition is really great for frontend. The inspector is awesome and has great tools for flexbox and grid visualizations. Performance is fine and battery hit is better than chrome.

I prefer safari for browsing but the inspector is just garbage unless you’re using it to inspect the DOM on a connected iPhone — that’s a pretty cool feature and great for debugging mobile/responsive issues

Flynnsworth

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2023
So I'm asking you guys, is there some sort of a middle ground. Is there like a browser or solution that will get the best of both worlds? I read somewhere here about some guy switching to Orion, but I have not gone to test it out.
If you want a Chromium based web browser with native compatibility with Chrome Web Store extensions, I would recommend Brave.

It is essentially Chrome without all of the spyware. It does have a couple of things that I personally switch off such as rewards. Just go through the Settings initially to get it right for you.

While Brave has a reasonable Ad-Blocker built in, I would always recommend uBlock Origin. It is unrivaled in blocking capability.

If you'd prefer to move away from Chromium based browsers, Firefox is still great.

Darren.h

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2023
Safari is a memory leak disaster.

Its had this problem for years.

Microsoft makes fixes o Windows 11 bata on a daily basis.

Apple can't even fix a memory leak in their browser that has been a problem for years! Existed in Big Sur, Ventura, and Monterey. Maybe more.

AF_APPLETALK

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2020
For me, Safari doesn't work as a development browser. It does badly with the hot reloaders, and that's just too much of a productivity hit for me. I use it for general browsing, though.

When it comes to development work, I usually keep that in Firefox.

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
Safari is a memory leak disaster.

Its had this problem for years.

Microsoft makes fixes o Windows 11 bata on a daily basis.

Apple can't even fix a memory leak in their browser that has been a problem for years! Existed in Big Sur, Ventura, and Monterey. Maybe more.
Just curious, how to check if safari experienced memory leak?
I use Safari as my default browser and didn’t see unusual memory consumption, as long as I monitor extensions closely.

canadianreader

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2014
Personally I like Brave and Firefox. I tried Orion, I like it but the extension menu is very confusing not as easy as chromium based browsers.

SirAnthonyHopkins

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2020
I used brave but still face comparability issues. My preference is safari by default, Firefox/chrome if I am forced to use. I like brave Better on iPhone and iPad.
I can’t see the point in non-Safari browsers on iOS/iPadOS to be honest, when they’re all WebKit-based and basically reskinned Safari anyway, but with even more compatibility issues than on desktop.

Reactions: thmsnt

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
I can’t see the point in non-Safari browsers on iOS/iPadOS to be honest, when they’re all WebKit-based and basically reskinned Safari anyway, but with even more compatibility issues than on desktop.
Brave has better Adblock and script blocking. Biggest reason I use Brave is it supports PIP for pretty much most videos safari doesn’t on iPhone or iPad. Comes in very handy when you need to review something while watching video or even open another tab with out stopping the video.

HouseLannister

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2021
Umm… if Safari works great with no extensions and Chrome has tons of extensions and drains your battery and heats up your laptop, then it’s not the browser that's the problem. Take any Chromium browser and add a ton of extras to it and it will do the same thing. Load up a fresh Chrome and don’t sync your extensions. Turn on the memory saver and energy saver and try it out for a few days. Then slowly add back in extensions and try to troubleshoot it that way.

I have a problem guys. I have been using Google Chrome for the past couple of years. Recently though, it started to drain my battery so fast to the point my MBP M1 was just unusable without plugged in. It would even heat up which I have never experienced.

Well since a week I have been using Safari. It has no issues whatsoever with battery or memory. It does however have the problem of not having any good extensions that I need for my day to day use ( I am a front-end dev ). The other thing is the interface for developer tab is just not what I am used to.

So I'm asking you guys, is there some sort of a middle ground. Is there like a browser or solution that will get the best of both worlds? I read somewhere here about some guy switching to Orion, but I have not gone to test it out.

Reactions: sracer

HawkTheHusky1902

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2023
Berlin, Germany
Safari for web dev is completely useless. I don't like Chrome, but sadly we have to put up with it, since Apple considers Safari in it's current state "the best they can do" 🤷🏼‍♂️.

PS: Not that I hate Adguard, but the need to have a separate app running in the background for a basic functionality like ad blocking is not good in my book.

PS2: Most, if not all, payable ad blockers don't work 100% like they claim to (they either don't block youtube vids, or some sites, or both). In addition to that, they tend to break yearly when new OS updates are released. Most fix them, but really, the experience is nowhere near of a "payable" app. (This includes Wipr as well which is relatively "cheap"). You will get a much better & free ad blocking experience on every other browser sadly.
uBlock Origin for example with Firefox, never let me down.

Reactions: Redtel

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Umm… if Safari works great with no extensions and Chrome has tons of extensions and drains your battery and heats up your laptop, then it’s not the browser that's the problem. Take any Chromium browser and add a ton of extras to it and it will do the same thing. Load up a fresh Chrome and don’t sync your extensions. Turn on the memory saver and energy saver and try it out for a few days. Then slowly add back in extensions and try to troubleshoot it that way.
This is advice that is critical but rarely given. 👍

That is the first thing I tell people when they complain about the sluggishness of their Chromebooks. Nearly all of the performance-related issues on chromebooks are due to loading up on extensions. This is aggravated by the fact that Google doesn't allow a person to pick-and-choose which extensions to install when initially setting up a Chromebook.

By default, it syncs everything based on the Google account and then only after everything gets set up can one go in and decide what is to be synced. That is generally not an issue if the Google account has only been used on Chromebooks, but if the account was used on a desktop computer (where the hardware is more capable) then it can really bog down a Chromebook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.