Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google today confirmed that its upcoming Pixel 4 devices will feature a square-shaped rear camera bump, a feature also rumored to be coming to the 2019 iPhones.

A case maker's mockup for the Pixel 4 smartphones leaked earlier this week, and today, Google confirmed the news itself in a tweeted image showing off the new design.

googlepixel4-800x400.jpg
Well, since there seems to be some interest, here you go! Wait 'til you see what it can do. #Pixel4 pic.twitter.com/RnpTNZXEI1 - Made by Google (@madebygoogle) June 12, 2019

Google's rear camera setup appears to include two lenses, a microphone, a flash, and a "spectral sensor" at the top that accounts for things like light flicker when filming an LCD display.

Apple too is planning to use a square-shaped camera bump for its 2019 devices, based on leaked rumors, renders, and cases. Just this week we checked out some cases designed for the 2019 iPhone lineup that have large square cutouts to accommodate the new camera arrangement.

Apple's square-shaped camera bump is expected to house triple-lens camera setups for the iPhone XS and XS Max successors, along with a dual-lens camera setup for the iPhone XR successor.

2019iphoneswhitebg-800x950.jpg

Based on leaked information, the three lenses in Apple's camera arrangement are set into a triangle shape. There are two lenses at the left as on the current flagship iPhones, along with one lens in between them set off to the right and a flash above that.

Google's setup, meanwhile, has the two lenses for its camera arranged horizontally with a flash at the bottom. Both of these setups provide more space between the flash and the lenses and there may be other benefits to square-shaped arrangement that both companies are taking advantage of.

Apple is expected to launch its 2019 iPhones in September, while Google's are also rumored to be coming in the fall. Historically, Google's new Pixel phones have come out in October, so while Google has beaten Apple to the punch officially showing off a square-shaped rear camera design first, Apple's 2019 flagship smartphones should launch first.

Article Link: Google Confirms Pixel 4 Will Feature Square-Shaped Camera Bump

Reactions: Vanilla35

msama

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2017
Engineer: I want to add another camera...
Designer: I'll tell you what, anything you can fit in this square you can have.
Engineer: ... But it wont fit inside that square
Designer: Then you can't have it.

Reactions: wwetech and thewebb

Alan Wynn

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2017
Based on leaked information, the three lenses in Apple's camera arrangement are set into a triangle shape. There are two lenses at the left as on the current flagship iPhones, along with one lens in between them set off to the right and a flash above that.

As long as they are not collinear, they are by definition a triangle shape (three points define a triangle).

Last edited:

SamuelFleming

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2018
As they add more cameras (which I am not against as long as it still makes practical sense) when will they stop making it a bump out and just make the phone that thickness? In Apple's case it would give them a nice little bump in battery capacity that everyone seems to want (not to mention possible rigidity increases too?)

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
I hate the square design and it looks ugly as hell but I don't know if there is a better solution. Considering that we might get 3 cameras then how would you solve this? Circle would look worse so square makes a little more sense (still hideous though. The only solution I can see is to have flat surface and go for unified colour that would cover the whole thing. Depending on the colour each phone would be compensating for the tint.
Not sure if feasible but an idea.
Or just not have bump at all and just have the lenses visible (but not sticking out)

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
Here come all the copying post. AS long as you going to refer to it as copying Huawei Mate 20 and not calling it copying Apple we cool. Also make sure when Apple releases there square camera you all call that copying as well.

Only fair right? Otherwise please just don't post anything to do with copying for all our sanity? Please?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.