Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

realtuner

Suspended
Mar 8, 2019
Canada
Whereas you're speculating about a product you have zero experience of. As usual.

I’ve worked with gesture based systems before (as part of my job). Practically nobody uses them over physical controls because, unlike physical controls, they are not 100% accurate. There’s no feedback it recognizes your gesture (like you get when you click a button or tap the screen). You actually have to look at your device to see if it recognized your gesture.

Why would I swipe to decline a call (and risk it not understanding my gesture perfectly) when I can tap the red button on my phone screen to decline instead (and be sure it works)?

We’ll see who’s right when the Pixel 4 comes out.

Reactions: konqerror

jhtrico1850

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2007
If anyone's going to nail live video bokeh it's Google
https://9to5google.com/2019/09/06/exclusive-pixel-4-camera-features-motion-mode/
https://www.xda-developers.com/goog...audio-zoom-live-hdr-better-wide-angle-photos/

I'm really curious about the upcoming Motion Mode and Live HDR! Have an iPhone XS now, think I'm gonna change to either iPhone 11 or Pixel 4.

iPhone pros: iMessage on my MacBook, AirDrop, Apple Store support, better (as far as we know) video recording

Pixel pros: Low light photos (Night Mode looks meh), Cellmapper, Miracast to Smart TVs, more Google Home features like routines that involve SMS. I have a couple Chromecasts and Google Home devices, and iOS is limited in certain aspects

Decisions...

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
What is innovative here exactly?

Better display then the 11 Pro (resolution, PPI, and refresh rate)
Bigger battery than the 11 Pro
Better camera than the 11 Pro
More RAM than the 11 Pro
8x zoom vs 2x zoom on the 11 Pro
New night and motion modes vs 11 Pro only having a new night mode
More secure version of FaceID plus in-display fingerprint sensor making it the most secure phone ever
Half the cost of the 11 Pro

Johns12

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2008
Then why don't you just get a Pixel and move onto a Google forum? I just can't comprehend spending any part of your day on an Apple-centric site when you clearly hate the company so much. Do what you want, it just doesn't make any sense to me.

I sound like a broken record, but here goes. Many people on this site are Apple users but might not be IPhone users. I'm not sure why that's so hard for many people here to comprehend.

Art Mark

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2010
Oregon
OWWW! How exciting...wait. No. Does anyone not on Google payroll give a sh**? I mean, unless you are part of the online press contingent who have to constantly talk about this stuff. I think I've seen one Pixel ever in 'real life'. So I'm sure there's billions of people who won't sleep the night before the big reveal on the new ways Google will watch you, steal your text entries, look at your photos, sell your mom's birthday...just imagine the convince when Google knows everything about you... I should add I'm not 'against' Pixel or other mobile phones. I just find it odd that they all have to have 'release' events when truly, it's just not a 'thing'. It's like holding a big red carpet premiere for a video of your kids hockey game. The universe resounds with 'WHY'...

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
Sad to say as an Apple user, but this is where the real innovation seems to be these days. Even the bezel is preferable to a notch for video watching.
Wut? People still find the notch the work of the devil?
Apple is about symmetry and without the notch there wouldn't be an edge to edge design as no one else has and the most secure facial recognition.

realtuner

Suspended
Mar 8, 2019
Canada
More RAM than the 11 Pro
More secure version of FaceID plus in-display fingerprint sensor making it the most secure phone ever

Oh look, someone claiming a feature is better when they haven't seen it, yet calling out others? How hypocritical of you.

Better screen? Says who? The best it could be is the same as the iPhone (if they both used the same Samsung panels).

Unfortunately, Android has a garbage version of color management. Which means no matter how good the screen is it will never match the iPhone for color accuracy or the ability to render content from different color spaces at the same time (which is impossible on Android).

Oh, and the Pixel has a vastly inferior processor. But you already are well aware of that, considering your lame attempts to say processor performance doesn't matter every chance you get. Android is also inferior as an App ecosystem. But you already knew that too.

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
More RAM than the 11 Pro
Bigger battery? The iPhone 11 Pro last 4 hours longer than the XS... how much longer do we need....?
Better camera? Have we seen a single image the Pixel 4 has taken?
RAM? Who cares about RAM?
Zoom. Okay, not really innovative. But, okay Ill concede the point.
More secure than FaceID? I guess we'll see about that...
It starts at $500?

Yeah.. nothing is exactly innovative... Maybe certain aspects are better (almost all camera features and we haven't seen any pictures from the Pixel yet)... Iterative updates it sounds like to me...

Bill Av

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2006
When it comes to cameras in smartphones, don't the makers of the cameras dictate what the phones will look like? Sure, Apple and Google put their spin on it - but at the end of the day doesn't Sony (or whoever) pretty much say "This year, high end phones will have three lenses"?

Reactions: dhershberger

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
I sound like a broken record, but here goes. Many people on this site are Apple users but might not be IPhone users. I'm not sure why that's so hard for many people here to comprehend.
It has nothing to do with being a user of the iPhone. It is hating on every single aspect of the company that gets brought up. Exactly what that fellow does.

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2017
DC Area
This could be a good device, though it always seems like Google is a year behind in phone design. I understand why they have that huge forehead bezel but I still don't like it, particularly as its uneven with the chin. I expect a top notch camera but Soli is most likely to end up in the scrap heap of gimmick history.

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
The interesting thing to me will be whether they do a zoom for the 2nd back camera or like Apple go for a wide field (which would be useful for AR).

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
That depends on how you see the notch.
Instead of being a deformed top of the screen, i considered an extension for useful information that uses the area that would otherwise be just a useless bezel.

surely this is the only way you can see the notch? It’s extra screen space on either side that would have been lost to bezel otherwise. I’m not sure how you could see it any other way.

Reactions: Arndroid

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
And Google will again demonstrate they should get out of hardware and focus on what they are good at.

The Pixel will not sell well, as usual.

I am long GOOGL

Reactions: ssl0408

realtuner

Suspended
Mar 8, 2019
Canada
surely this is the only way you can see the notch? It’s extra screen space on either side that would have been lost to bezel otherwise. I’m not sure how you could see it any other way.

Glass half full vs glass half empty people.

Pessimists see it as losing a piece from the middle of your screen. Optimists see it as getting two extra “tabs” on either side to display the time or status icons.

Johns12

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2008
It has nothing to do with being a user of the iPhone. It is hating on every single aspect of the company that gets brought up. Exactly what that fellow does.

Point taken and I know some people do troll.

It does get tiring at times seeing people being told to by phone "Y" and leave the forum because they find it better for them than an Iphone. Sore subject for me because I left Iphone for a Note 8. Having used 6 IPhones and now using a Samsung, I can see how foolish some of the Apple die hards comments are. Two years in and very few problems and the differences I notice are so small as to be nothing.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
Glass half full vs glass half empty people.

Pessimists see it as losing a piece from the middle of your screen. Optimists see it as getting two extra “tabs” on either side to display the time or status icons.

How can it be loosing a piece from the middle of the screen? It has all of the sensors and hardware in it that is needed for the phone to work.
[doublepost=1568657779][/doublepost]
And Google will again demonstrate they should get out of hardware and focus on what they are good at.

The Pixel will not sell well, as usual.

I am long GOOGL

If Google are no good at hardware then there's not a lot going for them, is there?

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015
I’ve worked with gesture based systems before (as part of my job). Practically nobody uses them over physical controls because, unlike physical controls, they are not 100% accurate. There’s no feedback it recognizes your gesture (like you get when you click a button or tap the screen). You actually have to look at your device to see if it recognized your gesture.

Why would I swipe to decline a call (and risk it not understanding my gesture perfectly) when I can tap the red button on my phone screen to decline instead (and be sure it works)?

We’ll see who’s right when the Pixel 4 comes out.
Remember when the iPhone launched? People, especially blackberry users were saying nobody will use a touch screen over physical controls because, unlike physical controls, touchscreens are not 100% accurate. There’s no feedback when it recognizes your touch...unless you want to call haptic vibration feedback however haptic vibration doesn't mean the right thing was touched. You actually have to look at your device to see if it recognized your touch or if you touch the right thing.

Why would I look at the screen and touch to decline a call when I can feel for the end call button on my phone to decline instead (and be sure it works)?

Sounds familiar?

Trader05

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
I use both Apple and Google products and I think its hilarious how people point the finger of who's copying who.

Example for laughs:
Pixel 4 will have their version of Face ID, omg Google sucks!!
Android has iOS style gestures now, omg Google really sucks!! (Old webOS users are crying)
Pixel 4 has a 90hz screen, they must be copying Apple somehow, maybe when the 12 comes out and it will be better!!
Google's device photos have shown better detail since the Nexus 6p and 5x than Apple devices....DEEP FUSION WILL BE THE BEST JUST WAIT ITS SIMILAR TO GOOGLE'S HDR BUT ITS INNOVATION NOT COPYING
Google's video capture sucks, they must be stealing your data at the same time!!
Remember 3D Touch and Google made it a long press? OMG Apple is copying Google now! LOSERS!
My Android phone has more ram and a bigger battery, suck it Apple!! (We all know android isnt optimized like iOS)
I can root my Android device and make it semi usable for 5 years muhaha...my Apple device gets official updates for about 5 years ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015
How can it be loosing a piece from the middle of the screen? It has all of the sensors and hardware in it that is needed for the phone to work.
[doublepost=1568657779][/doublepost]

If Google are no good at hardware then there's not a lot going for them, is there?
How can it be losing two "two tabs" on the screen? It has all of the sensors and hardware in it that is needed for the phone to work.

realtuner

Suspended
Mar 8, 2019
Canada
Remember when the iPhone launched? People, especially blackberry users were saying nobody will use a touch screen over physical controls because, unlike physical controls, touchscreens are not 100% accurate. There’s no feedback when it recognizes your touch...unless you want to call haptic vibration feedback however haptic vibration doesn't mean the right thing was touched. You actually have to look at your device to see if it recognized your touch or if you touch the right thing.

Why would I look at the screen and touch to decline a call when I can feel for the end call button on my phone to decline instead (and be sure it works)?

Sounds familiar?

Yeah, except I have actual real-world feedback from users of the systems I've worked with indicating how much they're used and why they're not. So I'm not making a prediction because I don't like something.

This will be a gimmick and I'm confident I'll be proven right.
[doublepost=1568658327][/doublepost]

You missed my point. People who complain about the notch treat it as having a full screen screen with a piece missing (the notch). So they claim they're getting less screen because of the missing piece.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.