Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google today kicked off its annual I/O developer conference in Mountain View, California, beginning with a keynote where the company announced Google Assistant for iPhone, new Google Home features including the ability to stream Apple Music via Bluetooth, and new photo sharing features in Google Photos.

Google Assistant on iOS

As it was rumored earlier this week, Google today announced that its AI helper Google Assistant is out now for iOS as its own standalone app [Direct Link]. This way, users will be able to chat with Google and gain access to all of its interactive features without needing a Pixel or Android smartphone.

google-assistant-ios-800x454.jpg

The company also revealed that Google Assistant will be gaining new chatbot abilities and integration with a new technology called Google Lens, which enhances a smartphone's camera with AI learning. As an example, Google showed a demo where a user took a picture of a business's sign, and gave them reviews, menu items, friend check-ins, and more. Other examples include the camera's ability to identify what a user is looking at, such as the species of a flower, or connecting to a Wi-Fi network by taking a picture of a sticker on a router.

Click here to read rest of article...

Article Link: Google I/O 2017: Assistant on iOS, Bluetooth Streaming on Google Home, and Easy Sharing With Photos

Reactions: huperniketes

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Google and Microsoft are trying to use iOS to get all users into their eco-system: apps, cloud, assistants.

I wonder how this will pan out... one winner, or the choice of the 3 big-gun-eco-systems for more than a decade:
– Apple
– Google
– Microsoft
These 3 love-HATE eachother.

Reactions: Steve121178

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
This keynote was boring and I thought that Apple events were boring. Nothing new just what we already knew already. Really nothing.

Reactions: MikeAnd

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Too bad you can't use it natively on iOS as I'd like to try it out in day-to-day use. Hopefully Siri gets that big rumored update at WWDC soon.

monty77

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2005
UK, South Coast
Google and Microsoft are trying to use iOS to get all users into their eco-system: apps, cloud, assistants.

I wonder how this will pan out... one winner, or the choice of the 3 big-gun-eco-systems for more than a decade:
– Apple
– Google
– Microsoft
These 3 love-HATE eachother.

Apple need to drag their web based services into 2017, and make them robust, and play nicely with other ecosystems.
Google need to stick at something for more than 5 mins, and support what they do have properly for 'normal' users

..MS look the best for me right now, have migrated my cloud services to O365 and been impressed so far but as usual YMMV.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Oh yeah!. Time to download this. Google assistant destroys Siri when it comes to contextual queries

Reactions: ABC5S

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I genuinely don't see the point of Google Home. Is it too hard to use your phone or computer for that sort of thing?

It has its advantages for home automation with controlling lights. I think the geriatric demographic would appreciate some of the hands free options for mobility. I wouldn't say it's a necessity, but it's a growing trend. I don't think the advantages are completely Compelling, but the Convenience factors are there.

Reactions: ElQben

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
So....usually there's some pretty exciting stuff out of I/O. This had great refinements of certain features, but I didn't see/hear about anything actually worth talking about.

Just me?

Reactions: rtomyj

agsystems

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
Omg the keynote was the most boring crap ive ever seen was like hell
really and what's with this 15-25 minute interlude with bubbles crap - imaging something like that in an Apple keynote - people will go ape s**t.

Last edited:
Reactions: rtomyj
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.