Google I/O 2017: Assistant on iOS, Bluetooth Streaming on Google Home, and Easy Sharing With Photos

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 17, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Google today kicked off its annual I/O developer conference in Mountain View, California, beginning with a keynote where the company announced Google Assistant for iPhone, new Google Home features including the ability to stream Apple Music via Bluetooth, and new photo sharing features in Google Photos.

Google Assistant on iOS

As it was rumored earlier this week, Google today announced that its AI helper Google Assistant is out now for iOS as its own standalone app [Direct Link]. This way, users will be able to chat with Google and gain access to all of its interactive features without needing a Pixel or Android smartphone.

[​IMG]

The company also revealed that Google Assistant will be gaining new chatbot abilities and integration with a new technology called Google Lens, which enhances a smartphone's camera with AI learning. As an example, Google showed a demo where a user took a picture of a business's sign, and gave them reviews, menu items, friend check-ins, and more. Other examples include the camera's ability to identify what a user is looking at, such as the species of a flower, or connecting to a Wi-Fi network by taking a picture of a sticker on a router.

Click here to read rest of article...

Article Link: Google I/O 2017: Assistant on iOS, Bluetooth Streaming on Google Home, and Easy Sharing With Photos

2. BlueCreek macrumors member

Apple seriously needs to pull its finger out with Siri

3. I7guy macrumors G4

4. Dilster3k, May 17, 2017
    Last edited: May 17, 2017

Dilster3k macrumors 6502a

Dilster3k

Cool, more stuff that'll be obsolete & ditched in 1 - 2 years.

5. meaning-matters macrumors 6502

meaning-matters

Makes me think of "Where do you want to go today?" LOL

6. TimUSCA macrumors 6502a

TimUSCA

I have no doubt Google Assistant is better than Siri. But how is this useful at all on iOS? Who is going to open an app just to use the assistant?

7. dan9700 macrumors 6502a

dan9700

Omg the keynote was the most boring crap ive ever seen was like hell

8. monty77 macrumors 6502a

Yup, still (regardless of vendor) can so no use for a home assistant in my life. Am I old? Uncool? Both?

9. shk718 macrumors 65816

The google I/O keynote seemed to contain quite a few ios catch ups. google assistant without voice activation and necessary api's - useless.

10. LordQ macrumors 68040

LordQ

The bit where you scan the WiFi router code and the phone automatically connects was okay.

11. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Google and Microsoft are trying to use iOS to get all users into their eco-system: apps, cloud, assistants.

I wonder how this will pan out... one winner, or the choice of the 3 big-gun-eco-systems for more than a decade:
    – Apple
    – Google
    – Microsoft
    These 3 love-HATE eachother.

12. tonyr6 macrumors 6502a

tonyr6

This keynote was boring and I thought that Apple events were boring. Nothing new just what we already knew already. Really nothing.

13. garirry macrumors 65832

garirry

I genuinely don't see the point of Google Home. Is it too hard to use your phone or computer for that sort of thing?

14. The Game 161 macrumors G4

The Game 161

great stuff

google assistant is the best al around

15. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

Too bad you can't use it natively on iOS as I'd like to try it out in day-to-day use. Hopefully Siri gets that big rumored update at WWDC soon.

16. monty77 macrumors 6502a

Apple need to drag their web based services into 2017, and make them robust, and play nicely with other ecosystems.
    Google need to stick at something for more than 5 mins, and support what they do have properly for 'normal' users

..MS look the best for me right now, have migrated my cloud services to O365 and been impressed so far but as usual YMMV.

17. Radon87000 macrumors 68040

Oh yeah!. Time to download this. Google assistant destroys Siri when it comes to contextual queries

18. Relentless Power macrumors G4

Relentless Power

It has its advantages for home automation with controlling lights. I think the geriatric demographic would appreciate some of the hands free options for mobility. I wouldn't say it's a necessity, but it's a growing trend. I don't think the advantages are completely Compelling, but the Convenience factors are there.

19. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

So....usually there's some pretty exciting stuff out of I/O. This had great refinements of certain features, but I didn't see/hear about anything actually worth talking about.

Just me?

20. agsystems, May 17, 2017
    Last edited: May 17, 2017

agsystems macrumors 6502a

really and what's with this 15-25 minute interlude with bubbles crap - imaging something like that in an Apple keynote - people will go ape s**t.

21. dominiongamma macrumors 6502a

dominiongamma

Where are the people that will say why is this on front page of macrumors?

22. falainber macrumors 6502

falainber

Have you seen Apple keynotes lately?

23. ogremoustro macrumors 6502a

ogremoustro

24. falainber macrumors 6502

falainber

Google Lens and standalone VR.

25. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Airpods, MBP, SSO for Apple TV, Universal clipboard, etc.

We've seen them, there were actually exciting products and features in them. Where were you?