Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

icyrock1

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2014
I haven't worn a watch in years. This does very little to convince me that this is that great, or that it's more convenient than just pulling out my phone.

Android TV on the other hand, now that looks promising.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
Wonder what its battery life is.

Hoping these kinds of devices get 24-48 hours.

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
Apple isn't the company that owns Doubleclick, one of the worst offenders of user privacy violations though.

Any links to back up the apparent "user privacy violations".

As a Google company, they will also be included in Googles Privacy Policy which is pretty much the same as Apples.

jasonklee

Suspended
Dec 7, 2007
Ha, why am I not surprised posters at MacRumors would say this? At least Apple can start a keynote on time and doesn't go way over because umpteen people were on stage demoing everything under the sun.

Google's keynote had protesters. Yet another feature Apple doesn't have.

superram1234

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2014
These google products are merely reactionary to rumors from apple and most of the technology they demoed doesn't looked very exciting. The only smart watch I would ever consider buying is the moto 360. Google is moving forward, but it hasn't destroyed apple

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
No... I have bunch of Android devices and none of then are laggy. You are still in 2010

I would have to disagree with you. Most Android devices lag badly and anyone who uses a fairly recent iDevice on a daily basis will notice it. My HTC One is only a year old and it lags but it feels far worse cos I also carry around an iPhone 5S.

Heck, even the brand new, best-selling high end Android device, the Galaxy S5 lags. Yes, TouchWiz has something to do with it, but that's Android. In fact, to most Android users, TouchWiz *is* Android. http://www.bandwidthblog.com/2014/04/24/samsungs-galaxy-s5-sucks-5-reasons-why/

here's a more scientific study...
http://www.dailytech.com/Android+Flagships+Are+Twice+as+Slow+at+Touch+as+iPhone+5/article33428.htm

What the above article doesn't mention is that Android lags badly compared to iPhone because Android was never designed to work like the iPhone. Hence, touch input has the same priority as every other process. Google has essentially been relying on faster hardware to overcome Android's inherent flaws and eventually, the hardware will mask its deficiencies, but based on all the devices I've owned and used to date, including the N5, we're not there yet.

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
So many naysayers in here. I think it all looks great - from Android L to Wear to Auto. I only saw one demo fail during the keynote in regards to Android Wear, but besides that everything looks smooth. Wish the device would work on iOS, but I hope Apple copies (or already has in place) what was shown into the iWatch.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
much like the iWatch is expected to be reliant on the iPhone.
Speak for yourself. I don't expect an iWatch to be reliant on an iPhone.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
this is why i visit this site less.. it seems like more members are becoming so close minded when it comes to competition. just because it's not from apple.. it's automatically a joke?

What's ironic is that I see more comments on here about why Apple bothers to compete with Google maps than anywhere else. Yet, when Google or another company decides to offer a similar Apple product or service, I see tons of "competition is good!" comments. Very strange.

And for the record, competition isn't always good for consumers.

furam90

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
Eek that smart watch is kind of fugly. I was excited for the iWatch, but if it looks like that then I'm not so sure.

I think the key will be for Apple to market it as a band of some sort and for the screen to be part of the band itself-- it has to be a flexible screen which wraps around the wrist, not just a square brick that sits on top of it like the google one.

Something like this without the power button and a little thinner maybe:
iwatch-concept-460x421.jpg

radiohead14

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2008
nyc
What's ironic is that I see more comments on here about why Apple bothers to compete with Google maps than anywhere else. Yet, when Google or another company decides to offer a similar Apple product or service, I see tons of "competition is good!" comments. Very strange.

And for the record, competition isn't always good for consumers.

well to be fair.. apple maps was kinda bad, and google maps has been established for so long now, that apple maps is in constant catch up. in this case.. the iwatch isn't even out yet, so i don't know how you can call it a similar product.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Lets see, what existed before apple...
Calling from a mobile device
Accessing internet from a mobile device
Contacts
SMS
MMS
Email
Apps
Copy/paste
Music on a phone
Buttons on a phone
Touch screens on mobile devices

95% of the first iPhone is copied from someone else

No, no, no. We're well past the 2-year mark since Apple released that first iPhone. Now Apple invented all of that.

If someone digs up any proof that says otherwise, 8 to 15 of us will call that someone a troll.

If they keep showing proof, we'll try to change the subject with something like "but whose single smart phone is most profitable?" Or we'll start putting words in their mouth so that it seems like they are arguing an entirely different- and obviously wrong- thing.

Facts are not important here unless they are pro-Apple facts. Opinions are not important here unless they are pro-Apple opinions. Patents are useless except when they favor Apple. Taxation is stupid if it's going to cost Apple something. Laws are dumb when they work against a positive outcome for Apple. Nobody but Apple can invent or innovate anything.

"99.9% don't want a smart watch" but rebrand that same watch as Apple's and that .1% will likely buy 10,000 units each to make up for such a huge lack of interest.

Let's see. We need a couple "that's an abomination" and "Die Google die" comments. We need to beat down a few guys who post any positives about this. Sprinkle in some "'I' don't like it" (so you shouldn't either). Did I miss anything? :D

Last edited:

marvz

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2012
Berlin
Been watching the Google I/O - They really have excelled themselves this year.

I hate to say it, but after watching the I/O, it makes it appear Apple take 1 step forward but then take 3 steps back.

Then you must have seen another keynote than I have.

jasvncnt

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2011
New Jersey
I would have to disagree with you. Most Android devices lag badly and anyone who uses a fairly recent iDevice on a daily basis will notice it. My HTC One is only a year old and it lags but it feels far worse cos I also carry around an iPhone 5S.

Heck, even the brand new, best-selling high end Android device, the Galaxy S5 lags. Yes, TouchWiz has something to do with it, but that's Android. In fact, to most Android users, TouchWiz *is* Android. http://www.bandwidthblog.com/2014/04/24/samsungs-galaxy-s5-sucks-5-reasons-why/

here's a more scientific study...
http://www.dailytech.com/Android+Flagships+Are+Twice+as+Slow+at+Touch+as+iPhone+5/article33428.htm

What the above article doesn't mention is that Android lags badly compared to iPhone because Android was never designed to work like the iPhone. Hence, touch input has the same priority as every other process. Google has essentially been relying on faster hardware to overcome Android's inherent flaws and eventually, the hardware will mask its deficiencies, but based on all the devices I've owned and used to date, including the N5, we're not there yet.

How is TW Android? If you go with a pure Google device there is no TW.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Apple took 1 step forward, but then Google took 5.

As a developer who works with both Android and iOS...I disagree.

Android Wear looks cool - but the UI is horrible. You just have to continually swipe till you get what you want - there is no indication of where anything is in relation to anything else. "Apps" are auto-installed from your phone...so the order is not defined.

The new UI was the best thing they introduced...but they have one issue - adoption. < 25% of Android users are running BOTH 4.4 and 4.3 combined. 4.3 came out over a year ago now. Developers like me are not going to be able to use the new UI unless we either design two separate interfaces or ditch 90% of users. Neither is a good option.

Android TV looks good. And Chromecast can finally mirror Android devices at the OS level. So that is good. Looks like a much more fleshed out Amazon Fire TV.

And Android Auto looks alright, I guess. It sucks that our cars are now phone accessories though as I doubt manufacturers will support both Android Auto and CarPlay.

Then there was Chromebooks linking with your phone like Continuity. Cool, but who actually uses a chromebook?

Maybe they have some other stuff for developers that they didn't talk about, but in terms of software upgrades iOS 8 is a much greater leap for Apple than Android L is for Google.

kds1

Suspended
Feb 17, 2013
New York, New York
Eek that smart watch is kind of fugly. I was excited for the iWatch, but if it looks like that then I'm not so sure.

I think the key will be for Apple to market it as a band of some sort and for the screen to be part of the band itself-- it has to be a flexible screen which wraps around the wrist, not just a square brick that sits on top of it like the google one.

Something like this without the power button and a little thinner maybe: Image

Something like this would be so much more elegant
smartwatch_concept_content.jpg

Last edited:

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
And....? So Apple announces things that are mostly finished products, while Google announced projects that are in development. Isn't that exactly the point some people are making?

I didn't knew that Mavericks, iOS 8, Health Kit et all were almost finished products.

Can you explain me what difference there is in the Android L preview from today and the iOS 8 preview from last WWDC?

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Google's keynote had protesters. Yet another feature Apple doesn't have.

I saw in my Twitter feed that the keynote went 3+ hours? I'm sorry but that's ridiculous. These things should be 2 hours MAX. Even then you're probably losing people's attention after 1.5 hours.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.