Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google has expanded on its #BestPhonesForever ad campaign with a new video titled "Spa Day" in which it pokes fun at the upcoming iPhone 15's implied lack of headline features and its expected adoption of USB-C in lieu of a Lightning port.

In the ad, an iPhone and a Pixel are depicted relaxing in a tranquil spa amid towels and candles, idly chatting to one another with their rear cameras covered by cucumber slices.

"Pixel, a spa day was the perfect idea with all these launch events coming up," says the iPhone, lamenting that the launches "just keep getting harder." After fondly recalling the applause that its slide-to-unlock feature elicited 16 years ago, the iPhone continues:
"Now it seems like every time I turn around, phones like you are doing stuff I can't, like unblurring old photos, answering unknown calls with AI, and live translating messages... it's exhausting. But I've still got a few tricks up my sleeve."

"Like what?" says the Pixel.

"That's under wraps. But let's just say you'll be USB-C-ing soon!"

"You're finally getting USB-C charging?"

"What?" says the iPhone as the cucumber slice slowly slithers off its camera lens. "How did you know?"

"Lucky guess?" replies the Pixel sarcastically.
"Rest up for October 4," reads the ad's tagline, in reference to Google's upcoming Pixel event, where it is expected to unveil a new Pixel 8 lineup, a new Pixel Watch, and potentially Pixel Buds updates.

Invites for Google's event went out the day after Apple invited the media and others to watch its iPhone 15 "Wonderlust" event on September 12.

Since the iPhone 5, Apple has kept the Lightning port on the ‌iPhone‌, despite much of the industry moving to USB-C. However, after coming under pressure to comply with new regulations implemented in Europe, Apple is swapping the Lightning port on iPhone 15 devices for a USB-C port.

With this transition, the Mac, iPhone, and iPad will all finally charge using USB-C, allowing Apple customers to charge their devices with what has effectively become the de facto universal charging standard for consumer mobile and laptop devices.

Article Link: Google Mocks iPhone 15 and Late USB-C Adoption in Latest Ad

Last edited:

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
The problem with these 'adverts' from Google, Samsung, is that they talk constantly about features but not the benefits. One of the first rules of salesmanship is that the two go hand-in-hand.

Like Uunblurring photos is honestly hot garbage most of the time, so much so that Google and Samsung's adverts even have small print that says it may not work on all photos.

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
There’s an entire advertising agency full of completely miserable, luxuriously paid, end-of-career creatives turning out this drivel. It reminds me of the old Surface Pro vs MacBook Air commercials about 6 years ago. Desperate garbage which completely failed to sell.

It’s sad because Pixel is a great device!

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
It would have happened eventually anyway. When we get a 4TB iPhone Pro with a camera capable of filming TV quality video we weren’t exactly going to extract that video over wifi or USB 2 speeds.
To be honest, I use AirDrop to transfer stuff now. I can transfer a 1.6GB file to my M2 MacBook Pro in <20 seconds.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
I mean, no lies detected. Fanboys will be triggered though

I wanted to be angry but then I thought about it for a moment. The Pixel 6 Pro was the alternative to the iPhone 13 Pro I got that year.

Pixel 6 Critical Response

Bad battery life and having to use a bad on screen fingerprint sensor are real deal breakers for me, but other than that it's not bad and did indeed have USB-C 3.1. It has been ridiculously too long for Apple to "make the switch."

epox999

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2011
I'm looking forward to USB-C on the iphone lineup to hopefully drastically increase charging speed and sync/backup times, as well as to reduce the number of cables and chargers I need to bring on every trip outside the house.

Google/Samsung do sometimes introduce features like throwing darts at a dartboard, who remembers the "3D photos" the android phones had for like one or two generations, then never mentioned again.

tomnavratil

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2013
Really solid product but it's a shame they don't have a more creative ad agency that would focus on their benefits and benefits of using Google's ecosystem to for example migrate people from Samsung and others. Many Apple users are unlikely to switch to Pixel phones on features alone as for many Apple users it ain't about the features alone.

antiprotest

macrumors 68040
Apr 19, 2010
Well, although the message is true, the strategy is wrong. Mock a competitor for what they still don't have, not what they finally have. If you mock a competitor for what they are finally getting, although you are right in that they have been behind, you are advertising that they are catching up, so that they are removing one reason for not getting that product. In other words, this helps get the word out that coming up there is one less reason to avoid iPhone, if the USB-C thing is what's holding you back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.