Google Officially Unveils Next-Generation 'Android Oreo'

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 21, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Google today announced the next-generation version of its Android operating system, which is named Oreo.

Android Oreo includes dozens of new features, ranging from notification improvements to picture-in-picture support to new emoji.

The update introduces an iOS-like feature called Notification Dots (aka app badges), designed to make it easier to see which apps have new content to display. A long tap on an app icon now displays information like the last notification received and app widgets, much like a 3D Touch does on iOS.

Picture-in-picture support allows users to watch video content while using other apps, while a new autofill feature remembers login information to allow for quicker username and password entry.

Support for new Unicode 10 emoji is included, introducing emoji like exploding head, vampire, zombie, hedgehog, giraffe, fortune cookie, and more. Existing Android emojis have also been redesigned to do away with the iconic Android emoji blobs.

Instant Apps, designed to allow developers to create apps that can run instantly, are now enabled by default, and Google has made improvements to the overall speed of the operating system for faster launch times along as well as introduced security improvements.

A full rundown on the new Android Oreo features is available on Google's site for those interested. The update is available today through Google's Android Open Source Project, with Google planning to roll it out to Pixel and Nexus devices in the near future as soon as carrier testing is complete.

Though Pixel and Nexus owners can expect to get access to Android Oreo in the near future, owners of other Android-based smartphones will need to wait much longer, if they get the update at all. The previous version of Android, Android Nougat, is still only installed on 13.5 percent of devices despite the fact that it was released a year ago.

[​IMG]

The majority of Android devices continue to run Android 5.0 Lollipop and Android 6.0 Marshmallow, released in 2014 and 2015, respectively.

Article Link: Google Officially Unveils Next-Generation 'Android Oreo'

2. ElZeus macrumors regular

I can't wait to switch back to an iPhone now that there will be a native file management app in iOS... Android OS updates are a disaster.

3. Aldaris macrumors 68000

Aldaris

4. Dilster3k macrumors 6502a

Dilster3k

inb4 no Android phone will be able to download it lol.

5. Pineapple24 macrumors member

Pineapple24

6. tkukoc macrumors 65816

tkukoc

Love the marketing matching the event today, very nicely done.

7. Howl's Castle macrumors regular

Howl's Castle

It's going to be funny when in two years this is the version of Android everyone will be using.

8. webbuzz macrumors 68000

webbuzz

Most likely a licensing agreement similar to the one for KitKat with Nestle.

[​IMG]

9. RickInHouston macrumors 65816

Not if you have a Nexus or Pixel.

10. MagMan1979 macrumors member

MagMan1979

Nice to see those numb nuts over at Google once again ripping off functions we on the iOS side of the pond have been enjoying for years, and with little delay in receiving, unlike many sad souls on the Android pond whom almost no one ever sees any updates for their devices...

Stay classy Google, and keep those photocopiers a rollin'!
    --- Post Merged, Aug 21, 2017 ---
    And how long do you folks receive updates for? That's right, no more than 18 months from first release of the device, so those who bought a Nexus or Pixel mid way thru it's production run won't even get a year worth of updates!

iPhone's? We get updates for YEARS. Yeah, still a nightmare on Android!

11. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I'm not sure how competition works in the smartphone world anymore...With people invested deeply into ecosystems, it makes it a major task to switch. For example, I've purchased $300+ on movies & apps (and in app purchases) over the past 6 years. I got lightning cables galore plus I have an AppleTV. So, even if Android was slightly better than iOS, I wouldn't care enough to switch.

It's like with Apple abandoning the headphone-jack*; I want to vote with my dollars and buy a different flagship phone, but I can't because the change-over is too much of a headache. It's just easier to stay.

*I'm all for abandoning old tech, but it's asinine to say wireless headphones are the future and then ship your latest iPhone with wired headphones.

12. MagMan1979 macrumors member

MagMan1979

Two? I'd say three, and even then, likely 50% of devices won't get it! Gotta love fragmentation and allowing the OEM's and carriers to control such critical aspects of these devices!

13. mistasopz macrumors 6502

More like Nabisco should be paying them.

14. nviz22 macrumors 603

nviz22

Unless you have a Pixel/Pixel XL, I agree. You would think that Android would've matured enough to have higher latest OS adoption rates. Google needs to get OEMs to stop making so many crappy Android skins. Pure Android is hands down the only reliable version of Android unless you can wait a few months to enjoy LG/HTC/Sony.

15. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Android continues to improve the experience and refine their OS every year. I think as Android continues to improve, it does make the experience more compelling for some who appreciate competitor hardware (Samsung/LG for example) over iOS. It's just not an easy transition Pending how invested the user is into the software.

But As an iOS user, I certainly hope competition exists among Apple and others, it's interesting to see what avenues both operating services improve upon.

16. meaning-matters macrumors 6502

meaning-matters

17. MagMan1979 macrumors member

MagMan1979

Agreed that it was a weird move on Apple's part to ship a phone that emphasized wireless tech with wired headphones, but my suspicion is that it was due to production issues with AirPod's, being able to pump them out at the same quantity needed to supply them with each iPhone.

Though, I must admit, I LOVE my AirPods, and they are the best ear bud-style headphones I've ever owned, used, and listened to! They're not the best in some respects, obviously like noise isolation / cancellation, but the tradeoffs are totally worth the ease of use and sound quality!

18. mistasopz macrumors 6502

Actually this is false, it is 3 years from when the device first became available on the Google Store, or at least 18 months from when the Google Store last sold the device, whichever is longer.

19. Howl's Castle macrumors regular

Howl's Castle

In the Pie Chart, It shows marshmallow as the most dominant version of Android atm. Marshmallow was released two years ago. If fragmentation gets any worse, then three is charm.

20. kwikdeth macrumors 65816

I used to think the carriers were to blame on this but now that I've been on Android for a while I know the manufacturers are just as much to blame. If you fork out the money for a flagship you can expect it to get updates for a while, but smaller manufacturers and models sold by carriers? Forget it. Like somebody earlier said, 18 months if you're lucky. Usually less. Buy a cheap phone? Expect it to be stuck with what it came with.

21. tucupeis macrumors newbie

tucupeis

i will switch to android when "Android CheeseWhiz" comes out

22. Mr. Dee, Aug 21, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2017

Mr. Dee macrumors 68000

Mr. Dee

I'll be on iOS 22 before 2% of Android devices get this update.

23. iReality85 macrumors 6502a

That is a messy pie.

24. Thunderhawks Suspended

Only for the black cookies!