Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexk82

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2009
East Coast
google does a lot of thing

google tries a ton of different things and very few of them gain much traction. the only reason that this is news is because google is doing it. the companies that are in trouble if this does gain any traction are the one relying on android, since the new google phone will always have the latest and greatest version

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
I think Google is an incredibily rich company it'll take more than one phone to spread themselves thin. :)

I'll remember that next time I'm uninstalling Google Toolbar or any other crappy Google desktop software from someone's computer when they complain that they're experiencing mystery slowdowns and other performance issues.

Google has an image as everything-it-touches-turns-to-gold type of company but it's not particularly deserved. So count me in on the "they're spreading themselves too thin" side of the debate and money doesn't matter at all when it comes to the issue of quality. Look at Microsoft over the last 10 years, a case study of a rich company spreading itself too thin.

muskratboy

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2007
"real android"

maybe it's like how the Yankees didn't beat the "real" Phillies in the series...

instead, NY played this "everyone's having a bad day" team... but that wasn't the "real them."

just the other night i saw a boxing match where the winner basically said "last time he beat me, but that wasn't the real me... this time i won, this is the real me."

everything android up to now has sucked, and thus isn't the "real" android. the "real" android rules. and when we finally get a version of android that doesn't suck, that will be the "real android."

oh, and iphone 1.0 wasn't the real iphone, either. that showed up... maybe the 3gs? or the next one will be the real one? :eek:

mcmlxix

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2009
They can do both and it doesn't hurt them.
Of course it doesn’t hurt them, but rather the end user...although the term 'hurt' is a little too therapeutic.

If Apple designs (gimps) their hardware or software in such a way as to funnel people into the iTunes store (or otherwise proscribe/complicate the way users can legally obtain and use media content on Apple products) then I think it could be strongly argued that the best possible hardware/software product is not being produced either a) to protect emerging media content revenue streams or perhaps b) it’s all just Jobsian control-freak-ism.

This doesn't say that people cannot rip and use their own media for example, but if the above weren’t true, then there wouldn’t be so many jail broken iPhones or hacked Apple TVs. A totally closed and contrived ecosystem isn’t all that sustainable without something having to give way.

ruinfx

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2008
i, for one, welcome our new google overlords.

the gphone will hopefully destroy our current view of what a cell phone carrier is and finally turn them into dumb pipes. you would think that iphone users would welcome a competing device that forces carriers to allow cell phones with voip that only need data plans.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
The "Droid" was a complete flop so they're trying to build some steam for some new POS Android phone. Big deal.

macshill

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2008
London, Ontario, Canada
Google has an image as everything-it-touches-turns-to-gold type of company but it's not particularly deserved. So count me in on the "they're spreading themselves too thin" side of the debate and money doesn't matter at all when it comes to the issue of quality. Look at Microsoft over the last 10 years, a case study of a rich company spreading itself too thin.

What you said about Google is felt by many about Apple.

CartoonHeroII

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2004
Rigby, ID
In another interesting tidbit, the "trusted source" claims that the Android operating system seen so far in such devices as the original T-Mobile G1 through to the new Motorola Droid is not the "real" Android. Exactly what, however, the "real" Android offers is unknown at this time.

obi-wan.jpg

This isn't the Android you're looking for...

miketcool

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2003
California
What you said about Google is felt by many about Apple.

I also think Land-O-Lakes has been spreading themselves thin as well. I wonder conglomerates in the tech sector will be targeted like the railroads and oil companies of the early 20th century once were.

macshill

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2008
London, Ontario, Canada
Apple getting into tablet market?? Last I checked Apple website, I didn't see any tablets.. Maybe I missed it!

Oh, you're right. I guess they just steamrolled over a company with the patent to the name "TabletMac" just for pure kicks. Something to do. Sure. My bad.

And if you believe ONLY the stuff on the Apple.com website is the ONLY thing they have in development, I have some swamp land I'd like to sell ya.

https://www.macrumors.com/2009/11/29/apple-takes-control-of-tabletmac-trademark/

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Oh, you're right. I guess they just steamrolled over a company with the patent to the name "TabletMac" just for pure kicks. Something to do. Sure. My bad.

And if you believe ONLY the stuff on the Apple.com website is the ONLY thing they have in development, I have some swamp land I'd like to sell ya.

https://www.macrumors.com/2009/11/29/apple-takes-control-of-tabletmac-trademark/

1) You can't patent a name. It's a trademark.
2) We don't know anyone was "steamrolled."
3) "Mac" is a term which, when referring to computers, is universally recognized as belonging to Apple. In trademark law, in order to prevent losing rights to the trademark, Apple must police the mark. This means they cannot let others use the mark without licensing it, and when they license it they must maintain some control over how the mark is used (i.e.: the quality of the goods using the mark, etc.) Since "Mac" is so clearly associated with Apple, allowing others to use TabletMac would have what is called a "dilutive" effect, and Apple had no choice but to gain control of it.

macshill

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2008
London, Ontario, Canada
1) You can't patent a name. It's a trademark.
2) We don't know anyone was "steamrolled."
3) "Mac" is a term which, when referring to computers, is universally recognized as belonging to Apple. In trademark law, in order to prevent losing rights to the trademark, Apple must police the mark. This means they cannot let others use the mark without licensing it, and when they license it they must maintain some control over how the mark is used (i.e.: the quality of the goods using the mark, etc.) Since "Mac" is so clearly associated with Apple, allowing others to use TabletMac would have what is called a "dilutive" effect, and Apple had no choice but to gain control of it.

Like Microsoft was just in gaining control of MikeRoweSoft.com domain name from that dude w/ the same name or Toys "R" Us is just in doing the same from BoysRUs.com domain name.

And if you truly don't think Apple isn't developing a tablet, you're sooo far gone it truly isn't even funny.

hitekalex

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2008
Chicago, USA

Oh right.. The fact that Apple is defending their "Mac" trademark really proves the iTablet release is imminent. That and the rumor site banter about the elusive iTablet that's been going on for years now.. which most people with common sense stopped paying much attention to long ago.

Perhaps you're the one in the market for Brooklyn Bridge?

hitekalex

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2008
Chicago, USA
Based on sites like MACRUMORS and MACWORLD, gee, I wonder why I would think the concept of an iTablet has been ramped up a bit lately? I willy, willy wonder.... ;):p:D

And you will keep wondering. If you read MacRumors headlines a year ago - you would be swearing you'd be holding that iTablet in your hands by this Christmas. But it's no closer to being "real" now than it was then.

In truth, no one really knows whether this product will ever see the light of day, other than a selected within SJ inner circle. My only point was that your statement about "Apple is getting into tablet market" wasn't based on any real facts.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Like Microsoft was just in gaining control of MikeRoweSoft.com domain name from that dude w/ the same name or Toys "R" Us is just in doing the same from BoysRUs.com domain name.

And if you truly don't think Apple isn't developing a tablet, you're sooo far gone it truly isn't even funny.

1) I don't know what your point is in the first paragraph.
2) I didn't say I don't think they are developing a tablet. I do. I don't believe that the TabletMac thing has anything to do with that, though.

tnisatard

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2008
The "Droid" was a complete flop so they're trying to build some steam for some new POS Android phone. Big deal.

it wasnt a complete flop, i think its a great device, if i had to choose any other cell phone other than the iphone right now, it would be the Droid

im hoping this google phone will come out soon

honestly i am bored of the iphone and i would like a change, iphone needs to change its interface in 4.0 next year

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.