Google Pixel 4 Leaks Suggest Punch-Hole Selfie Camera and Total Lack of Physical Buttons

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 17, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Google may have only just announced its Pixel 3a and 3a XL smartphones, but rumors about this year's forthcoming Pixel 4 are already appearing, and the latest alleged leak suggests the search giant's redesigned handset will lack physical buttons.

[​IMG]
    MacRumors render of Pixel 4 based on leaks

This information has been shared by Jon Prosser's Front Page Tech YouTube channel, which last year was the source of several accurate details about the Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL over a month before they launched, and also confirmed the Pixel 3a devices' existence before they were formally announced.

According to Prosser's source, the Pixel 4 will use capacitive touch areas on the sides of the aluminum handset in lieu of clickable physical power and volume buttons. Prosser suggests these touch-sensitive areas may use an extended version of Google's existing Active Edge technology currently found in the Pixel 2 and Pixel 3 that lets users squeeze their phone to launch Google Assistant or silence incoming calls and notifications.

In addition, Prosser's source corroborates other recent rumors, including the presence of punch-hole front cameras embedded in the display - akin to those seen in Samsung's Galaxy 10 Plus and other smartphones this year - and either an optical or ultrasonic in-display fingerprint sensor.

The rear of the device is expected to feature a new dual-lens camera setup including either a telephoto zoom or super-wide-angle sensor, and they may be aligned horizontally in the upper left corner of the handset rather than the more typical vertical orientation seen on other dual-lens smartphones.

The Pixel 4 and Pixel 4 XL are expected to be 4G LTE devices and will likely be announced during the second week of October - or just a few weeks after Apple is expected to launch its flagship successors to the iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR.

(Via PhoneArena.com)

Article Link: Google Pixel 4 Leaks Suggest Punch-Hole Selfie Camera and Total Lack of Physical Buttons

2. Baymowe335 macrumors 601

Google seriously should give up on hardware. It's a failure.

They should stick to ads.

3. msama macrumors regular

I need at least one button for a hard reset on my phone! Either that or a pedometer that will hard reset it if I throw it on the floor hard enough

4. Infinite Vortex macrumors regular

Infinite Vortex

5. R1PPER macrumors 6502

The only negative on Pixel 3 was notch and lack of ram. If they get those 2 issues fixed with a good price point. I know where my money is going!

6. asdavis10 macrumors 6502

asdavis10

I'll reserve judgement until it's actually released. But I wouldn't be upset if Apple adopted the hole punch OLED design. I don't mind the notch, but I wouldn't be sad to see it go either.

7. Zachari macrumors regular

Zachari

Honestly, I like the style of the Pixel. I don't think I am alone.

8. yesjam macrumors regular

9. realtuner macrumors 6502a

realtuner

Apple won’t go the hole-punch route. If anything, they’ll just reduce the notch slightly to give more space on each side for status.

10. Baymowe335 macrumors 601

Based on the research, you're one of the few. The Pixel hasn't done well and the business is a rounding error for Google. Their hardware sucks.

11. H2SO4 macrumors 601

Why, hasn't it done well. Who says it's the hardware?

12. Zachari macrumors regular

Zachari

Any competition for Apple not to become stagnant is good in my book.

13. dominiongamma macrumors 68000

Might change now since it’s in every carrier now

14. bgraham macrumors regular

A total failure, apart from creating probably the best phone under $500 and easily one of the best cameras in a smartphone.

15. Joniz macrumors regular

16. rpat701 macrumors regular

You serious? This thing looks great, has good specs and is at a good price point.

17. BootsWalking macrumors 65816

Google is following the old adage - if it ain't broke then break it.

18. UberRuben macrumors newbie

UberRuben

I and many other disagree. Their hardware is fantastic.

19. Deefuzz macrumors 6502a

Deefuzz

I tried the Pixel 3XL briefly. It was a decent phone overall, camera was stunning. Omitting the large notch in favor of a holepunch on the front is definitely a welcome step in the right direction

Omitting all buttons though? You still need to have some way to physically restart/reboot the phone if unresponsive I would think.

Not to mention the wonderful moment when you have in some headphones, and need to pull your phone out of your pocket and as you grab your phone you accidentally activate the capacitive touch to increase the volume to an uncomfortable level.

20. UberRuben macrumors newbie

UberRuben

What research, cite it.

21. Bswails macrumors regular

Google is still kinda new at hardware and I agree the pixel 3 looks nice. If google made a watch Apple would be in a bit of trouble considering they currently don’t offer a full line of home devices.

22. robrobrobro macrumors newbie

I don't like the idea of no physical buttons, but the hole-punch camera is a far more elegant solution to the notch than the OnePlus pop-up camera.

23. Bswails macrumors regular

Maybe squeeze and hold could be used instead of a button?
    --- Post Merged, May 17, 2019 ---
    Or keep the notch till they get rid of it.

24. Kabeyun macrumors 68020

Kabeyun

Well, their phone cameras (hardware + software) are apparently among the best.

But a smartphone needs at least one button. Software gets buggy, and I won’t buy any device without at least one button for resets, etc. If every possible function can only be done with gestures, I have a gesture for it.