Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Every time an app store thread comes up we always have the haters saying there is a night and day difference between app quality on either platform. It's awesome you have an opinion, but can you be more specific. "iOS apps are better because they are" isn't really an answer. Also, silly buzzwords like polished, refined, etc. are just that, silly buzzwords. Either there is a measurable improvement in actual app quality (crashes less, loads faster, more options in UI, might be some such examples) or there are not. These buzzwords seem to be the new "it just works" slogan. I have seen some horrible examples of apps on either OS.

(can't wait for the responses pointing out how one single app is better than another thereby accurately depicting the entire platform)

Rossatron

macrumors 6502a
Maybe just with your apps.

There are only a few apps on my iPad that have a more polished look than their Android counterparts. Even still, most of the Android counterparts work the same or better than they do in iOS.

The real competition rests with those apps that aren't platform agnostic. Anything cross platform is moot.

my apps? you're trying really hard, which is nice - but it still does not change the facts. i had an android device (s1, s2 briefly) and the "app experience" was no where near the one on iphone.

Every time an app store thread comes up we always have the haters saying there is a night and day difference between app quality on either platform. It's awesome you have an opinion, but can you be more specific. "iOS apps are better because they are" isn't really an answer. Also, silly buzzwords like polished, refined, etc. are just that, silly buzzwords. Either there is a measurable improvement in actual app quality (crashes less, loads faster, more options in UI, might be some such examples) or there are not. These buzzwords seem to be the new "it just works" slogan. I have seen some horrible examples of apps on either OS.

(can't wait for the responses pointing out how one single app is better than another thereby accurately depicting the entire platform)

know what? here's an example. temple run - i guess everybody is familiar with this game. app on note 2 and S3? laggy, stalls, freezes from time to time (both are stock, note 2 running 4.2.somethin jelly bean; s3 running latest ICS). temple run on iphone 4s? seamless.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009

ESPN Scorecenter is better on iOS than android. especially the push notifications

KanosWRX

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
I think that's more the case for both platforms. Not everyone is going to use every feature the phone has, but I have to say that I see more and more folks using both platforms as computers, surfing the web, checking email, etc. than downloading a bunch of quirky apps and games.

Most of the apps worth downloading are free, and after that, it's going to be games which I think iOS dominates in.

For me, I don't pay for as many Android apps as I do for iOS because my Android handset has most of what I need built in. I have to find and buy alternatives on the iOS side, or just live without.

Funny, I find I have to find more apps for Android to make up for what iOS has. Like a reminders app, notes app, find friends app (google has latitude I guess..) but wins hands down for built in apps for sure.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
know what? here's an example. temple run - i guess everybody is familiar with this game. app on note 2 and S3? laggy, stalls, freezes from time to time (both are stock, note 2 running 4.2.somethin jelly bean; s3 running latest ICS). temple run on iphone 4s? seamless.

ESPN Scorecenter is better on iOS than android. especially the push notifications

I did end my post with this...
It's been what, 60 minutes. And people are doing exactly that. I guess that's a good thing, in terms of my argument. It's only being reinforced.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
my apps? you're trying really hard, which is nice - but it still does not change the facts. i had an android device (s1, s2 briefly) and the "app experience" was no where near the one on iphone.

Your apps as in the ones you download. I doubt you're a dev. As another has said and another has posted most debs choose their platform and make great apps or choose to be agnostic and make great apps for both.

I am not trying hard at all, there's no need to. I don't worry too much about other folks opinions and perceptions of tech.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011

What apps are we talking about? Some apps are worlds better on Android than iOS like Dropbox.

Temple Run 2 runs flawlessly on all recent Samsung phones, even the mid-ranges ones.

Last edited by a moderator:

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Funny, I find I have to find more apps for Android to make up for what iOS has. Like a reminders app, notes app, find friends app (google has latitude I guess..) but wins hands down for built in apps for sure.

I still think it all depends on the end user. I agree about the ones that Apple really soars in. There is no sub for iWork mobile (Google Docs and Polaris are nice, but I think iWork really hits it), Things (nothing I see on Android compares), and Billings (the same as Things).

I do find myself searching for apps that mimic much of the Android UI, apps that allow me to jot down notes quickly (S Note like), and apps that allow me to sync multiple Google accounts and services.

That's just me though.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Kindle fire is not Android

Any example?

By the way, "Also, Android is loaded with ads: this is still false, Android doesn't have a single ad. Well, it has exactly the same ads than iOS

Well, you may live in a bubble. If the Kindle Fire doesn't run Android, then I don't know what it runs.
I have nothing more to say to you. Come out of your bubble and explore the world.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Well, you may live in a bubble. If the Kindle Fire doesn't run Android, then I don't know what it runs.world.

I didn't said that Kindle Fire doesn't runs Android, I have said that Kindle Fire is not Android.

By the way, still waiting a ****ing proof for the "Android is full of ads" claim. The one living in a bubble, a FUD bubble is you.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
I didn't said that Kindle Fire doesn't runs Android, I have said that Kindle Fire is not Android.

By the way, still waiting a ****ing proof for the "Android is full of ads" claim. The one living in a bubble, a FUD bubble is you.

Everybody knows that the Kindle Fire is not Android. It's a Tablet running Android. So what are you trying to prove?
When you go to a store to buy an Android Tablet, the Kindle Fire is presented to you as a choice, right? So don't start with the crap that "pure Android" doesn't have ads, because if you want to buy a "pure Android" device, there are barely any choices. Most available choice are loaded with adware and crap at the OS level. At least in iOS, you can chose to run apps with or without ads.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Do they? Apple has never been one for sales or discounts and yet look at their revenue.

As for the songs etc. I agree that some changes, especially on the video side, could be in order. But Apple doesn't control that. The studios do

Oh yes Apple does!

Android tablets offer higher resolution screens, more eye catching features like LED Flash and built in miniSD card readers ($29 for iPad cable), $9 HDMI cables vs $49 for iPad.

Sure the iOS software is better, but that tangible features is what gets people attention more.

With the margins Apple makes they could easily reduce the price and still make a profit.

The more market share iOS losses, the less developers will make iOS apps a priority. We might start seeing Android First software development.

If business is unwilling to change strategy, they are in danger of losing in long run.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Most available choice are loaded with adware and crap at the OS level. At least in iOS, you can chose to run apps with or without ads.

Can you show a ****ing Android with ads? And no, the Kindle Fire doesn't count as an ANDROID full of adware because the ads are because of Amazon, not Android.

Stop lying

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Volume is easy when you give stuff away for free (applies to both the Android OS and Android applications apparently).

Profitability: that's the hard part.

Very true, but iOS has the app library edge and tons of free apps too (not to mention give aways).

Then ask how much revenue do those free Android apps make for developer directly, not counted in revenue stats?

Bottom line, this is a serious challenge for Apple.

----------

Agree with you.

The game has changed, Android is significantly better then a year ago.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
Everybody knows that the Kindle Fire is not Android. It's a Tablet running Android. So what are you trying to prove?
When you go to a store to buy an Android Tablet, the Kindle Fire is presented to you as a choice, right? So don't start with the crap that "pure Android" doesn't have ads, because if you want to buy a "pure Android" device, there are barely any choices. Most available choice are loaded with adware and crap at the OS level. At least in iOS, you can chose to run apps with or without ads.

What about the other several subsidized devices you mentioned? What Android tablets/phones have ads? Name just one.

Many apps on iOS have ads, the choice is not always available. Mostly news apps.

----------

Can you show a ****ing Android with ads? And no, the Kindle Fire doesn't count as an ANDROID full of adware because the ads are because of Amazon, not Android.

Stop lying

He's really convinced that he saw Androids with ads everywhere.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
What about the other several subsidized devices you mentioned? What Android tablets/phones have ads? Name just one.

Many apps on iOS have ads, the choice is not always available. Mostly news apps.

----------

He's really convinced that he saw Androids with ads everywhere.

Most LG phones and many Samsungs. The ones I saw were sold by MetroPCS.
And I saw actual phones being used by real people, who were also complaining about the ads.
On the Kindle, the ads started to appear on the lock screen a few minutes after I connected to the Internet. And this was on a new Kindle with no additional apps purchased.
So don't tell me I don't know, because you don't know me or what I know or I am capable of doing.

As a SIDE NOTE only (similar topic), check this link: http://www.net-security.org/malware_news.php?id=2452

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
we all know android users are cheap, hell they went for the cheap or free phone and a platform that is just plain junk.

Ios users are not stingy generally love to buy quality rather than risk a cheaper untrusted source.

I'm glad to be among those who value quality so much. It's important to pay for things that give you joy, whether that is an app, a phone, a video or music. It's all karma and it certainly does come around.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Now, I don't agree with anything you say previously because it's all opinionated and taken from your own perpective. But the last one I do agree with in that there's no way for a user to really get a feel for the functionality of an app on either side of the pond.

I have only paid for two apps on the iOS side and one on the Android side. Again mainly because on Android, I get most of my functionality built right in, or from free services that are platform agnostic.

The one App I paid for on Android was iSynr. and it looked TERRIBLE in the pics. But after doing a lot of reviewing and soul searching I purchased it and love it. The only thing I needed that Android didn't have was a way to sync my iTunes music library, play counts and all. It was a $5 add on.

On the iOS side, it's still all free apps that I can get on Android as well, save for Things by Cultured Code, and Billings from Marketcircle. There are alternatives on the Android side, but they cost and they look terrible, and there aren't many reviews for them since they are very niche products.

Also, I paid WAY TOO MUCH for them on the iOS side, so I will just use my iPad for those two apps primarily to get my money's worth out of them.

All that to say, yes, the search criteria could use an overhaul. If I search CRM or Corporate Responsibility Manager I don't want to see to-do list apps. And I'd love to see a viable "trial" option for apps.

Yeah I think you nailed it. Basically the issue I think is that search is based more on app popularity. Which is great for Twitter or Instagram. But if you are searching for an app for a specific niche you will never find it - a popular app probably stuck "manager" or some other generic term in their keywords which gets picked up by the search, then they shoot to the top because of their download counts, leaving the more specific apps you searched for way down the list.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
Most LG phones and many Samsungs. The ones I saw were sold by MetroPCS.
And I saw actual phones being used by real people, who were also complaining about the ads.
On the Kindle, the ads started to appear on the lock screen a few minutes after I connected to the Internet. And this was on a new Kindle with no additional apps purchased.
So don't tell me I don't know, because you don't know me or what I know or I am capable of doing.

As a SIDE NOTE only (similar topic), check this link: http://www.net-security.org/malware_news.php?id=2452

Minus the Kindle (Which technically is not Android), all new Android phones do not have ads. Some apps that you download can have ads as notification but those are rare and are NOT among the popular apps download on most Androids. Tell the ''real'' people you know to stop download Bikini Girls HD if they do not want notifications with ads.

Exio

macrumors regular
May 14, 2012

Please explain, it works flawlessly and has a good UI on my S3.

----------

I don't understand what people see in Android phones. I have the S3 and it was a real ugly phone. Everything about it actually. Sure, it has neat features, but they don't justify the ugly UI that touchwiz has and everything else about the S3. :D

Use a different launcher? Download a new ROM? You don't have to use Touchwiz. The S3 is not ugly, nor is android, what you mean to say is Samsung's Touchwiz is ugly. At that point I will have to agree with you as I have been running AOSP roms since I got my S3.

----------

I have an iPhone, iPad, Nexus 7 and Nexus 4 (Test devices for mobile development work.)

I received $25 of Google Play credit after buying the Nexus 7. I still have $15 left a year later. On iOS I have probably spent hundreds of dollars over the years.

I guess the main reason why is that I tend to pay for well designed apps, such as Tweetbot, Gas Cubby (Which might be free now), and Day One - there are others on my phone but these are ones that I use often.

When I used my Nexus 4 for a week...I paid for Tasker which is a cool functional app for sure, and Echofon pro which is OK, but I don't feel it lives up to iOS twitter clients.

I think a lot could be due to a couple of reasons:
1. The play store itself - it is horrible. To even see an app you have to tap on play store, tap apps, swipe to categories, tap a category and then you finally have a listing of apps. On iOS you tap App Store and already have a listing of the latest apps. Tap categories and a category and you are there. Only 1 step less, but on the play store you don't even see more than 1 major app feature until the 3rd step. On iOS it is immediate.

I have heard there is an update coming, but my Nexus 4 isn't showing it yet.

2. External Sites - with iOS you have MacRumors, TUAW, TouchArcade, MacUpdate and many others that have a large following and community. With Android there really isn't the same source to promote high quality apps, at least that I could find.

3. Search - it has improved, but search is still terribly bad for apps. On both iOS and Android. It is more difficult as you can't really index the content of an app, but there has to be a better way...

Your first point is invalid as one extra tap is not a huge deal. I could also argue android has music/movies/apps/books all in one app while they are separate entities in iOS which creates more of a hassle. To address your second point it seems to me like you have been living under a rock. There are tons and tons of huge community and followings for android, android has a single site that is multitudes bigger than any of the apple communities; XDA has nearly 5 million users.

I will list some others below since googling is too hard for you:

http://www.xda-developers.com/
http://www.droid-life.com/
http://androidforums.com/
http://www.androidcentral.com/
http://www.androidauthority.com/

...there's literally tons of them.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Nothing points that the Mac is a lost cause.

Nothing except for the fact that Apple never made much money when it relied on the Mac. Nothing except for the fact that Apple doesn't skate to where the puck used to be. Nothing except for the fact that Apple makes pretty much nothing from selling Macs. Nothing except for the fact that years ago The Steve said apple was a mobile device company, and eliminated the word computer from the company name.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.