Google Preparing 'Android TV' Set-Top Box with Native Apps, Simple Interface, Voice Search

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Apple better being hard at work on something similar. Apple has the better hardware and software, so it should be able to dominate this category. As long as it hasn't been neglecting it since the last ATV update.

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
Apple better being hard at work on something similar. Apple has the better hardware and software, so it should be able to dominate this category. As long as it hasn't been neglecting it since the last ATV update.
I think all the rumors out there suggest Apple is working on something. But if it's just a new UI with an App Store it will be a but disappointing. Unless the UI is something so amazing and different than what's out there now. The big issue though is content and I don't see any of these companies making a huge leap forward there.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
This is a mistake for Google. They should instead be supporting Amazon. Instead, they're fragmenting the Android based marketplace and pissing off their partners.
I am assuming you are joking? Why would they support Amazon and their forked version of Android that doesn't work with Google Services? Like Apple and Amazon, Google is going to have a box that highlights their own services. This isn't going to piss off any of their partners. It is a logical step that all big media consumption companies must at least be a part of.

akatsuki

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2010
I am happy for more competition in the space, since I don't think any of the solutions are all that great. I fully expect the better solutions to come from content neutral providers (e.g. Roku) since everything else is about walling you in.

mpainesyd

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Wouldn't need live TV streaming if EyeTV was on the Apple TV menu for my iMac Computer. I had this with Front Row under pre-Lion OSXs - it can't be that difficult to implement.
(EyeTV is a USB tuner to watch free-to-air digital TV on a Mac)

A less satisfactory solution is for EyeTV to support Airplay so I could stream it directly from the iMac to the Apple TV. There are major audio sync problems if I use Airplay mirroring so it needs to be built into the EyeTV app running on the iMac.

I have tried using Airplay from an iPad that is getting streamed TV from the iMac but that also has audio sync problems and poor picture quality.

If only Apple and Elgato would talk to one another...

Mao2009m

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2014
All other companies make new stuff and develop new products

But apply still teach us about the one hand and easy use of small device

Plz Tim cook leave you are destroying Steve jobs's company

ozaz

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2011
UK
I am happy for more competition in the space, since I don't think any of the solutions are all that great. I fully expect the better solutions to come from content neutral providers (e.g. Roku) since everything else is about walling you in.
I'm sure it's different in the US, but Roku has significant content limitations outside of the US.

In the UK, we don't get Amazon Instant video for example.

A Google set top box which had more 3rd party content than Apple TV (like Roku), and offered worldwide access to Google Play movies would interest me greatly.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
1) Heyy, Macrumors! It is MACrumors, it's kind of sad to see Google products, companies bought by Apple in front page while Apple Rumors are at secondary blogs.
2) Google is now Neo Samsung, I mean they are not just copying Apple they copy Microsoft too. Android Wear is just what iWatch rumors says, Android TV is a copy of both Xbox One UI and Apple TV UI, Chrome OS is copy of both Windows 7, Windows 8 and OS X.
3) People still use Google products after those privacy problems?
Maybe because Apple news is slow?

kds1

Suspended
Feb 17, 2013
New York, New York
I don't care for any of the UI's. Not AppleTV, XBOX Live, Roku, GooglePlay or Amazon. They are all really crummy.
Funny, I don't have a problem with AppleTV's interface at all (contrary to others comments). I have channels hidden that I don't want/use and it's all good. And I actually like the way it looks aesthetically too. All the other boxes are fugly.

pedromcm.pm

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2014
Porto, Portugal
Meanwhile, Apple's 5 inch iPhone will be "revolutionary"
And why do you doubt that or are ironic about it? Apple can put the best screen and world beating hardware on that small 4" form factor. The competition can't. Also the Android UI is the same used on 2.5" screens and 10" screens.

Apple will make software and apps especially for it. It will go berserk on hardware. more room for a better camera.

Yes, revolutionary.

D.T.

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Apple should definitely release a box that connects to your TV, that streams music from iTunes Match, and video from any iTunes purchases, maybe a few 3rd party services like Netflix. Something small, that easily fits onto an AV rack, maybe a super slim remote control.

An added bonus would be if it could stream video (or music) from a computer on the local network, and I know it’s crazy, but using an iOS device as a remote would be _awesome_.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
I just love that all these companies spend so much resource on copying the same things that are already out there. You'd have to be an idiot to think it wouldn't be simply horrible if they spent the same resource on something new entirely. Can you imagine having actual choice in products, and I don't mean choice in brands, I mean choice in type of product, it would be horrible, utterly horrible! Thank goodness for sameness.

kuwxman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2009
Olathe, KS
And why do you doubt that or are ironic about it? Apple can put the best screen and world beating hardware on that small 4" form factor. The competition can't. Also the Android UI is the same used on 2.5" screens and 10" screens.

Apple will make software and apps especially for it. It will go berserk on hardware. more room for a better camera.

Yes, revolutionary.
LOL.

I'll be interested to see how this box does. I bought an original Google TV and it worked OK. It's biggest downfall was the lag, but that was an issue for most electronics from the yesteryears. Still have it too, but it is setting in a closet at the moment.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Oh ******* off Google.
I agree the only company we should have is Apple!!! There is no need for any other brand and if Apple don't make the device I DON CARE I probly didnt need it anyway.

----------

The UI on my little iPhone looks the same as the UI on my big iPad.

HenryDJP

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2012
United States
I'm glad all these set top boxes are coming out before the next AppleTV update. That way Apple can see what's missing from everyone and make the AppleTV even better. :)

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2011
I'm glad all these set top boxes are coming out before the next AppleTV update. That way Apple can see what's missing from everyone and make the AppleTV even better. :)
You really think Apple works that way? Apple has stuff in the design pipeline for years. They don't do anything in reaction to what's going on out there.

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2011
Microsoft are going to have to make a $99 non-gaming XBox.
If they don't, they're mental.
They are mental and I don't believe Satya Nadella cares about MS hardware. He's all about cloud & apps.

ozaz

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2011
UK
You really think Apple works that way? Apple has stuff in the design pipeline for years. They don't do anything in reaction to what's going on out there.
iPad mini?
Larger iPhone? (assuming that happens)

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2011
I just hope that the Apple TV will let me purchase Comcast content À la carte. I'm sick of my cable bill.
Comcast is already quite profitable and I doubt they would want to share those profits with Apple. Apple would have to sell 10s of millions of ATV over 2 years for Comcast to relent.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
My mother and my dog are gearing up to release a new Android TV set-top media box that utilizes a simple card interface with native apps and games, voice search, and a proactive recommendation system.

Last edited: