Google Preparing 'Android TV' Set-Top Box with Native Apps, Simple Interface, Voice Search

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
Apple last to the party again.
Sigh.
One a leader and now it can't even play catchup.

----------

Let's wait and see what they actually release before coming to ridiculous conclusions and bashing on them.
Why wait?
It is obvious Apple has nothing left in its bag of tricks when it cannot even pull off the most incremental updates to its product lines.

Enough said.

sohelpme

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2009
This is a mistake for Google. They should instead be supporting Amazon. Instead, they're fragmenting the Android based marketplace and pissing off their partners. Further, it doesn't sound like their device will be any better or have any real product differentiation from the Fire TV, unless they artificially create such differentiation by withholding services on Amazon's device.
Um, I don't think Amazon devices use Google services in any significant way, so I doubt Google has to withhold anything. Amazon wants the whole pie to themselves. If anything, Amazon's announcement of the Fire TV device is why Google put this out now, it's basically a Microsoft FUD announcement to try to stall the market to wait for Google to actually create a product.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
But presumably I couldn't have my roku setup to appear as if it is the US for the purpose of accessing amazon/Hulu and simultaneously have it appear in the UK for accessing UK-specific content (eg bbc iPlayer/Sky TV)?
I just tried iplayer and it works.

The service doesnt redirect all traffic, only what is required.

Eg, when I go to hulu, netflix, amazon, I get DNS forwarded to their US proxy, bbc iplayer will go to their uk proxy, but all other traffic goes direct to the URL so I dont see higher latency on anything else.

Their site also allows me which to select which Netflix to go to (Uk, US etc).

All I did to setup was put their DNS servers in my router and all DHCP enabled devices will work with the service - nothing else to configure. Alternatively you could just set up their DNS on only some of your devices.

sohelpme

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2009
Apple last to the party again.
Sigh.
One a leader and now it can't even play catchup.

----------

Why wait?
It is obvious Apple has nothing left in its bag of tricks when it cannot even pull off the most incremental updates to its product lines.
What do you mean by 'last to the party'? They've only been shipping the Apple TV for a couple of years now. And it's not like this announcement is real, like Amazon's Fire TV [as in, shipping now/soon]. This is just "please don't buy the competition because now we see what they are doing and are working on copying it".

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
Comcast is already quite profitable and I doubt they would want to share those profits with Apple. Apple would have to sell 10s of millions of ATV over 2 years for Comcast to relent.
I can already watch TBS, USA, ect. on my iPhone/iPad. WTF can't I do that on the AppleTV after 7 f-n years?

App Store? Try again.
Game controller support? LOL.
Airplay Direct? Not This Time.
4K? Still Nope.

These are INCREMENTAL updates to the platform that should have happened 3 years ago instead of letting competitor out innovate them.

HenryDJP

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2012
United States
These are INCREMENTAL updates to the platform that should have happened 3 years ago instead of letting competitor out innovate them.
Sigh, there's nothing innovative about the competition's set top boxes against the AppleTV. Adding a couple features "gimmicks" don't make for innovation.

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
Sigh, there's nothing innovative about the competition's set top boxes against the AppleTV. Adding a couple features "gimmicks" don't make for innovation.
You are right, there is nothing 'innovative' about them. They are devices for 2014 while Apples device is stuck in 2007.
(Hence the term 'incremental updates')

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
What do you mean by 'last to the party'? They've only been shipping the Apple TV for a couple of years now. And it's not like this announcement is real, like Amazon's Fire TV [as in, shipping now/soon]. This is just "please don't buy the competition because now we see what they are doing and are working on copying it".
Based on what? Nothing! just like your other posts in this thread. :rolleyes:

Bayshun

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2014
1) Heyy, Macrumors! It is MACrumors, it's kind of sad to see Google products, companies bought by Apple in front page while Apple Rumors are at secondary blogs.
The website describes it's self as such, "MacRumors attracts a broad audience of both consumers and professionals interested in the latest technologies and products. We also boast an active community focused on purchasing decisions and technical aspects of the iPhone, iPod, iPad, and Mac platforms." Nowhere on there does it say "Apple specific news only." If you want to be even more technical you could say that anything that doesn't directly relate to Apple's Mac line of products shouldn't be posted.
2) Google is now Neo Samsung, I mean they are not just copying Apple they copy Microsoft too. Android Wear is just what iWatch rumors says, Android TV is a copy of both Xbox One UI and Apple TV UI, Chrome OS is copy of both Windows 7, Windows 8 and OS X.
Everyone copies everyone. Not everything Apple does is wholly original either. I'm pretty sure an options menu consisting of boxes with pictures existed before Apple TV. As far as the iWatch rumors go...they're rumors. If copying a rumor is wrong then anyone can make a rumor about anything and claim everyone else who makes something similar is copying them.
3) People still use Google products after those privacy problems?
Yes, a whole lot of people still use Google products. As well as whole lot of other companies that do the same thing (including Apple, to a lesser extent).

Robin4

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
RTD-NC
Do you suppose all these companies know something we don't know?

I am a cord cutter hungry for content that will make sense. I'd like to pay but not get bamboozled by cable's shoddy business. We've waited so long and now, all of a sudden everyone has to come up with a gadget to solve the problem, huh?

I wonder what is really happening.

sohelpme

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2009
Based on what? Nothing! just like your other posts in this thread. :rolleyes:
Based on it's not shipping anytime soon, but it was leaked to the press right after the Amazon Fire TV was announced.

Very similar tactic to what Microsoft does in similar situations...

ozaz

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2011
UK
I just tried iplayer and it works.

The service doesnt redirect all traffic, only what is required.

Eg, when I go to hulu, netflix, amazon, I get DNS forwarded to their US proxy, bbc iplayer will go to their uk proxy, but all other traffic goes direct to the URL so I dont see higher latency on anything else.

Their site also allows me which to select which Netflix to go to (Uk, US etc).

All I did to setup was put their DNS servers in my router and all DHCP enabled devices will work with the service - nothing else to configure. Alternatively you could just set up their DNS on only some of your devices.
Thanks. I'll give it a try.

coolfactor

macrumors 601
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The bar has been raised. Simple as that.

With dozens of companies now able to design and produce what appear to be equivalents to Apple's standards in terms of elegance and simplicity, the market is being flooded, and they're all trying to be first. It's kinda pathetic because they will burn out as fast as they get started. I think the Apple advantage has become longevity. They are not interested in being first for your average consumer device. They want to create the best, which has always been the case. In this day and age, it's hard to imagine what we don't think that we need and Apple will show us.

apolloa

macrumors G5
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Oh this is fantastic, brilliant news, because it means YOU, who aren't blindly loyal to only Apple, have a great choice now for streaming media. Personally I favour Netflix with UnblockUS.
I am also hoping for Blinkbox to launch on the PS4 this summer and will hopefully also stream in HD.

This should also, with any luck, mean Apple tries harder too to make it's Apple TV more attractive.

I'm loving all the choice now, it's great for media.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
I always thought that all google tv really needed was a nexus series device and to be kept on the same software track as vanilla android.

RedIntention

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2014
But presumably I couldn't have my roku setup to appear as if it is the US for the purpose of accessing amazon/Hulu and simultaneously have it appear in the UK for accessing UK-specific content (eg bbc iPlayer/Sky TV)?
Sure you can. Most DNS services allow that very thing. I use US Netflix and iPlayer/ITV Player all the time and can access Hulu too (and NBC, Fox, CBS, etc). Amazon is a slightly different beast since you need a US Amazon account too (Netflix accounts are global and the content changes depending where it "sees" you being).

The only issue with the Roku is that it doesn't allow you to change the DNS settings so you would have to do it at the router level which, to be honest, is a far neater solution anyway. Have a look at Ad-free time. It's just over £1 a month for their DNS.

*edit: looks like I was beaten to it

Last edited:

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
Oh this is fantastic, brilliant news, because it means YOU, who aren't blindly loyal to only Apple, have a great choice now for streaming media. Personally I favour Netflix with UnblockUS.
I am also hoping for Blinkbox to launch on the PS4 this summer and will hopefully also stream in HD.

This should also, with any luck, mean Apple tries harder too to make it's Apple TV more attractive.

I'm loving all the choice now, it's great for media.
If only we could all be as good as you and not blindly loyal to Apple. :rolleyes:

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
you mean like AirPlay, AirDrop, TouchID, electronic textbooks, the revolutionary 2013 Mac Pro, first to have Thunderbolt on PCs, Magnetic connectors and so on?
And what has happened to Apple TV in the 3.5 years since Steve Jobs sent that email?

ZIPPY!!!

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
Google and Hamstrung are absolutely shameless about copying Apple.

I hope they both end up as historical footnotes within 10 years. :cool:

Meanwhile, Apple's 5 inch iPhone will be "revolutionary"
And about 2 or 3 years later, "we" will remember that Apple invented the approx. 5-inch screen size for smart phones. Someone will point out the truth… maybe show pictures of earlier smart phones with 5-inch screens. They'll be called a troll and mercilessly pounded by many while others try to spin the argument into something favorable to Apple.

Personally, competition is good… for Apple too. I hope this thing is GREAT. I hope FIRE is GREAT. I hope both sell in big numbers to maybe fire up Apple to get with it.

Here, the crowd is going to bash every one of these "other guys" products & innovative features we wish were in :apple:TV. Should an :apple:TV add some of these same features or benefits, this crowd is going to praise them to no end.

Just think back to the "3.5-inch screen is the perfect size" arguments made for iPhone: "Apple would never fragment the screen sizes", "if there's going to be a 4-inch, it will maintain the same aspect ratio to avoid fragmentation (black bars)", etc. Then, Apple rolled out the 4-inch with a different aspect ratio which did fragment and yielded black bars and did we bash it? No. "Best iPhone ever", "shut up and take my money", etc.

I'm glad the other guys are trying to advance the space in which :apple:TV lives. Apple doesn't seem to care much about it anyway. It's still viewed as a "hobby". Maybe these other guys will take it more serious (than hobby) and move this space somewhere better. Apple has had a lot of time to OWN this space but can't seem to give it the focus to actually OWN it. Instead, they allow even much smaller companies like Roku who focus on their version to seemingly make so many more content deals. Can a little company like Roku out deal a Goliath like Apple? No. Can a little company like Roku flex it's war chest to grease the wheels to get deals done better than Apple? No. Can a little company like Roku afford to put as many talented people on their box vs. what Apple could afford? No. But Roku does something that Apple doesn't. They FOCUS on this opportunity. It's not a hobby to their team.

Google & Amazon are Goliaths too. They're relatively new to the space but look at them go. Where's Apple?

sohelpme

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2009
And about 2 or 3 years later, "we" will remember that Apple invented the approx. 5-inch screen size for smart phones. Someone will point out the truth… maybe show pictures of earlier smart phones with 5-inch screens. They'll be called a troll and mercilessly pounded by many while others try to spin the argument into something favorable to Apple.

Personally, competition is good… for Apple too. I hope this thing is GREAT. I hope FIRE is GREAT. I hope both sell in big numbers to maybe fire up Apple to get with it.

Here, the crowd is going to bash every one of these "other guys" products & innovative features we wish were in :apple:TV. Should an :apple:TV add some of these same features or benefits, this crowd is going to praise them to no end.

And this leak is basically a 'me too' product.
Just think back to the "3.5-inch screen is the perfect size" arguments made for iPhone: "Apple would never fragment the screen sizes", "if there's going to be a 4-inch, it will maintain the same aspect ratio to avoid fragmentation (black bars)", etc. Then, Apple rolled out the 4-inch with a different aspect ratio which did fragment and yielded black bars and did we bash it? No. "Best iPhone ever", "shut up and take my money", etc.

I'm glad the other guys are trying to advance the space in which :apple:TV lives. Apple doesn't seem to care much about it anyway. It's still viewed as a "hobby". Maybe these other guys will take it more serious (than hobby) and move this space somewhere better. Apple has had a lot of time to OWN this space but can't seem to give it the focus to actually OWN it. Instead, they allow even much smaller companies like Roku who focus on their version to seemingly make so many more content deals. Can a little company like Roku out deal a Goliath like Apple? No. Can a little company like Roku flex it's war chest to grease the wheels to get deals done better than Apple? No. Can a little company like Roku afford to put as many talented people on their box vs. what Apple could afford? No. But Roku does something that Apple doesn't. They FOCUS on this opportunity. It's not a hobby to their team.

Google & Amazon are Goliaths too. They're relatively new to the space but look at them go. Where's Apple?
Amazon is new to this space, but Google has been swinging and missing for years [two failures and the Chromecast]. And looking at their existing attempts, it certainly doesn't seem that focused, more like darts at a wall, hoping something sticks.

This leak is just a 'me too' FUD thing from Google.

Last edited: